Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Resigning Birk

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Resigning Birk

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    My first wish was always to stay where I was. If it’s not in the plans, I’m looking forward to free agency and being able to be utilized in a way that suits what I can do.
    I know I can help a team win.

Tiny dig at the scheme there, with that “being able to be utilized in a way that suits what I do” line.

http://thevikingage.com/2009/02/27/n...per-sad-to-go/

As I said yesterday, if Matt can find a team that doesn't rely on him pulling or making line calls (ala the ZB scheme) he might still have a couple more years in him.

I wish him well if in fact he does leave.
    Childress fucked over the Vikings with his ZB scheme. It's been a problem for 3 years & hasn't gotten much better.

Kind of tells me the coaches don't know how to teach it.

I guess that'll happen when you hire "friends" & give them jobs rather than someone who is actually qualified to do it. Only the DCing coaching position is the one area where I think Childress' staff has made an impact.
    Didn't the Vikes give up 54 sacks and rush for 1467 yards in 2005, since 06 Vikes have rushed for 1820, 2634 and 2338 and given up 43 sacks, 38 sacks and 43 in 08.
    If I recall correctly you held the 05 line mostly respossible for Michael Bennett's lack of production.
    While I'd like to see Cook upgarded the line play seems to improved inspite of Childres and his zone schemes.
    I didn't notice any passing stats in that.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Tiny dig at the scheme there, with that “being able to be utilized in a way that suits what I do” line.
    Just another fine example of Childress not utilizing the talents of his players & trying to instill things "His way" by changing everything, just to prove a point to Andy Reid & the Eagles.
    nah more of question of the players not being able to adjust to the KAO.. after all everyone knows the KAO is the dogs bollocks when it comes to NFL offensive schemes. In years to come every team will want to run it in the same way that they all want to run Miami's Wildcat offense.
    Clearly Childress is a coach ahead of his time

now where are my meds for today?
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    My first wish was always to stay where I was. If it’s not in the plans, I’m looking forward to free agency and being able to be utilized in a way that suits what I can do.

As I said yesterday, if Matt can find a team that doesn't rely on him pulling or making line calls (ala the ZB scheme) he might still have a couple more years in him.

Childress fucked over the Vikings with his ZB scheme. It's been a problem for 3 years & hasn't gotten much better.

I guess that'll happen when you hire "friends" & give them jobs rather than someone who is actually qualified to do it. Only the DCing coaching position is the one area where I think Childress' staff has made an impact.
    Didn't the Vikes give up 54 sacks and rush for 1467 yards in 2005, since 06 Vikes have rushed for 1820, 2634 and 2338 and given up 43 sacks, 38 sacks and 43 in 08.
    If I recall correctly you held the 05 line mostly respossible for Michael Bennett's lack of production.
    While I'd like to see Cook upgarded the line play seems to improved inspite of Childres and his zone schemes.
    What you must not remember about 2005 is that;

1. Birk was out for the whole season.

2. The Vikings were cycling centers Withrow, Goldberg, Fowler & I think even Herrera in & out of the center position, trying to find someone that worked.

3. We had just lost David Dixon to retirement & replaced him with Rosenthal.

4. Liwienski was drawing boat loads of flags

Two of the main anchors of the line that we had in 2004 were gone & their replacements were no where near as adequate.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

2. The Vikings were cycling centers Withrow, Goldberg, Fowler & I think even Herrera in & out of the center position, trying to find someone that worked.

Two of the main anchors of the line that we had in 2004 were gone & their replacements were no where near as adequate.
    The line has helped produce 3 1000+ yard rushers in the last 3 years and has moved the Vikes into a top 5 rushing team in the last 2 years.
    Line hasn't been great in the passing game but neither have the recievers or quarterbacks.
    But to say Childress fucked the team over and it isn't gotten much better are you looking for the line play for the late 90's.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

The line has helped produce 3 1000+ yard rushers in the last 3 years and has moved the Vikes into a top 5 rushing team in the last 2 years.
    Line hasn't been great in the passing game but neither have the recievers or quarterbacks.
    But to say Childress fucked the team over and it isn't gotten much better are you looking for the line play for the late 90's.
    I'm looking for a line that can protect the QB in the passing game as well as the running game, not just the running game.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

I'm looking for a line that can protect the QB in the passing game as well as the running game, not just the running game.
    Have you seen our QB and WRs? Jesus couldn't help the Oline be better. When will people get it, it's not the OLINE, it's the crappy players we had on offense that allow DC to snowplow our OLINE. THese guys didn't get drafted because they were one dimensional. We have had one of the worst Qbs in the league the pass 3 years and you guys think it's the OLINE. Look at our WR corps? BB is the only WR we have that would make make a DC think about doubling him. Key word is think. Fix the talent we have on offense and the DCS will not send an army after our Oline on every play.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Have you seen our QB and WRs? Jesus couldn't help the Oline be better. When will people get it, it's not the OLINE, it's the crappy players we had on offense that allow DC to snowplow our OLINE. THese guys didn't get drafted because they were one dimensional. We have had one of the worst Qbs in the league the pass 3 years and you guys think it's the OLINE. Look at our WR corps? BB is the only WR we have that would make make a DC think about doubling him. Key word is think. Fix the talent we have on offense and the DCS will not send an army after our Oline on every play.

I agree in a sense, look at the packers two years ago.
    3 rookies on the OL, yet they were near the top in the league in fewest sacks given up.
    Why?
    Because they had a QB that could get rid of the ball quickly, and some good receivers.

Blog Entries

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

3 rookies on the OL, yet they were near the top in the league in fewest sacks given up.
    Why?
    Because they had a QB that could get rid of the ball quickly, and some good receivers.
    None of our QB's are in his league. Hence more need for a good OL

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Why?
    or perhaps a new QB

Blog Entries

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Why?
    or perhaps a new QB
    Or both + HC

Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast