Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing Rice

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Replacing Rice

Quote Originally Posted by "MindCrimes67" #1101525
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1101523
    Quote Originally Posted by "MindCrimes67" #1101521
    Even adding in his good year he averaged for us. 36.5 rec,532 yds, 4.5 tds per season... Potential means nothing.. Hell jemarcus russell had potential...
    Jamarcus Russell played, and played like crap. When Rice was healthy, he was a beast. There's a difference.

Even when Rice was hurt, while on the field, he was making great catches, and has the talent of a top-5 receiver in the league. Just gotta stay healthy. That alone is worth the risk to alot of GMs.

Therein is the point im making. His numbers from when he is healthy are not (41 mil, 18.5 mil guaranteed) worth that.. I say go after Braylon Edwards..
    I think you miss the point of incentive-laden contracts. We pay him his bonus over the length of his contract. then we pay him salary, based on performance. If he doesn't perform, he doesn't get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1101528
    Quote Originally Posted by "MindCrimes67" #1101525
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1101523
    Quote Originally Posted by "MindCrimes67" #1101521
    Even adding in his good year he averaged for us. 36.5 rec,532 yds, 4.5 tds per season... Potential means nothing.. Hell jemarcus russell had potential...
    Jamarcus Russell played, and played like crap. When Rice was healthy, he was a beast. There's a difference.

Even when Rice was hurt, while on the field, he was making great catches, and has the talent of a top-5 receiver in the league. Just gotta stay healthy. That alone is worth the risk to alot of GMs.

Therein is the point im making. His numbers from when he is healthy are not (41 mil, 18.5 mil guaranteed) worth that.. I say go after Braylon Edwards..
    I think you miss the point of incentive-laden contracts. We pay him his bonus over the length of his contract. then we pay him salary, based on performance. If he doesn't perform, he doesn't get paid.
    No I hear the point your making, but as i said no way he signs that contract. IMO all players should have incentive contracts.. But you said when he was healthy he was a beast.. here are his per game numbers.. 3 rec, 44 yds, .38 tds.. Not beastly IMO... These are all games he played..

All in all my point is that Rice was not a great receiver that we cant live without. Great receivers make their QB look better, Brett Favre made alot of receivers look great, Jevon Walker being one, what did he ever do without Brett throwing to him.. Great receivers make their QBs look incredible.. Instances, T.O. , Moss, Jerry Rice, C.C., Did not matter who was throwing ball to them.. Lets just use T.O. as a single example of a great receiver, how many different QBs has he played with? Always put up good numbers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "MindCrimes67" #1101533
    All in all my point is that Rice was not a great receiver that we cant live without. Great receivers make their QB look better, Brett Favre made alot of receivers look great, Jevon Walker being one, what did he ever do without Brett throwing to him.. Great receivers make their QBs look incredible.. Instances, T.O. , Moss, Jerry Rice, C.C., Did not matter who was throwing ball to them.. Lets just use T.O. as a single example of a great receiver, how many different QBs has he played with? Always put up good numbers.
    No offense, but there is so much wrong with this post.

Rice can make any QB look good WHEN HEALTHY, there's no doubt. All Favre had to do was sling it 50 yards downfield, and Rice woudl come up with that. He didn't hit Rice in stride, Rice fought for the ball and won. Rice has incredible talent, but injury concerns were an issue.

For Walker, when healthy, (again) Favre and him clicked. It was much the same, Walker had size, speed and ball skills, he could fight defenders for the ball. On his last year as a Packer, he tore his knee, and was never the same since. When he was here in preseason, we saw a bit of the old Walker, but they still cut him.

The rest of them, well, they were all healthy their whole careers with good QB's throwing to them. TO: Garcia in his prime was decent, McNabb, Romo, Palmer. He put up great numbers with them. When he was on the Bills, he did crap because he had a brutal QB throwing the ball. (Trent Edwards)

Cris Carter, Moon, Cunningham, Culpepper, George. With the exception of George, all were great QBs in their time. Geroge was alright. Look what Carter did on the Dolphins. Nothing

Jerry Rice: Montana, Young(two hall of famers), Gannon. When he left Oakland and went to Seattle and Denver, how did he do? Not good.

A great WR NEEDS a good QB still. Some can help make average QB's look good, but you can never singlehandedly make an aweful QB look average.

Rice has not done much with TJ, neither has anybody. When TJ was on, guys like Berrian and Rice did well. When TJ was off, nobody did.

Blog Entries

James Jones' wiki page says he's a Viking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jones_(wide_receiver)

Means absolutely nothing, but curiouser and curiouser

True, But big difference in those receivers that you pointed out. Went to teams at the end of careers, C.C. was done even before he went to the dolphins. Jerry Rice was in his 40s when he went elsewhere. And then to say Daunte was great, no way, Moss made Daunte Look good. Daunte had C.C. and Moss to throw to. I agree Sidney had great hands and ball skills, but there arent too many QBs that are willing to put the ball up for grabs like Brett did through out his career. Thus the high amount of INTs. For instance give Brett a randy Moss through his career, could you imagine their combined numbers through those years. Great QBs make good receivers, and great wrs make good QBs. As you said Jeff Garcia was ok look at numbers T.O. put up with him. T.O. made him look good.

GALLY is offline Starter

My vote would be for Edwards for a FA pickup. For a trade partner - I think Steve Smith (Carolina) has a lot left in the tank and is an elite WR that has just been hammered by the poor QB's in Carolina. He is a fierce competitor and would help any team. Not sure what Carolina would want in return.

pro1ml is offline Training Camp

I hope this isn't our replacement.....Good God

RT @jasonjwilde: Just talked to an @NFL source who said James Jones is "close" to signing with the VIkings, as @JuddZulgad already reported.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "GALLY" #1101539
    My vote would be for Edwards for a FA pickup. For a trade partner - I think Steve Smith (Carolina) has a lot left in the tank and is an elite WR that has just been hammered by the poor QB's in Carolina. He is a fierce competitor and would help any team. Not sure what Carolina would want in return.
    Carolina said Steve Smith is off the market, they're not trading.

We've reportedly close to signing James Jones. I fear that may be the end of our WR signings.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1101541
    Quote Originally Posted by "GALLY" #1101539
    Carolina said Steve Smith is off the market, they're not trading.

We've reportedly close to signing James Jones. I fear that may be the end of our WR signings.
    With all the money Carolina is spending right now, i would be strange for them to trade away one of their best players as they seem to want to get right back into contention..

Also, if James Jones is our replacement for Sidney Rice.. i am going to cry..

James Jones is by no standards up to Sidneys level of play.. Lets get Edwards or Floyd - we need a big guy on the outside and for the redzone.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast