Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Replacing M Williams Six Candidates For New Safety

Alert Alert Non legitimate source. DON'T READ THIS OR PARTICIPATE IN THE DISCUSSION IF IT INSULT YOUR WISDOM OR STANDARDS. I say again, Alert Alert Non Legitimate source.

.....snicker.....this is fun

Those are just the six guys Iíve seen tossed out there by the media in the past few days. Obviously not all those guys will be available. Whitner, for instance, looks like heíll be snapped up by the Patriots or perhaps the Colts. Weddle is being mentioned in connection with the Dolphins. A couple of those guys, I assume, will be re-signed by their teams. Also, I donít know how aggressive the Vikings mean to be in pursuing a replacement for Williams. I expect they will be Ė they did go after A.J. Atogwe earlier this off-season Ė but you never know.

Dang, Iím ready for free agency to start. How about you?
    Replacing Madieu Williams: Six Candidates For New Vikings Safety

One thing to "Ponder" as you consider shitcanning M-will to save CAP space, it will probably cost us more in CAP to find a replacement that actualy plays better than him. Anyone they bring in that would be cheaper......well, theres a reason why he is cheaper.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Replacing M Williams Six Candidates For New Safety

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100391
    Alert Alert Non legitimate source. DON'T READ THIS OR PARTICIPATE IN THE DISCUSSION IF IT INSULT YOUR WISDOM OR STANDARDS. I say again, Alert Alert Non Legitimate source.

Those are just the six guys Iíve seen tossed out there by the media in the past few days. Obviously not all those guys will be available. Whitner, for instance, looks like heíll be snapped up by the Patriots or perhaps the Colts. Weddle is being mentioned in connection with the Dolphins. A couple of those guys, I assume, will be re-signed by their teams. Also, I donít know how aggressive the Vikings mean to be in pursuing a replacement for Williams. I expect they will be Ė they did go after A.J. Atogwe earlier this off-season Ė but you never know.

One thing to "Ponder" as you consider shitcanning M-will to save CAP space, it will probably cost us more in CAP to find a replacement that actualy plays better than him. Anyone they bring in that would be cheaper......well, theres a reason why he is cheaper.
    I'd rather spend a couple mil on a good upgrade than waste that money on a garbage starter. We have three guys capable of playing that poorly, all who cost less than M-Will. I would not bwe surprised if he's a late cut before the season starts.

Some guys I want:

Whitner: Coming off his 6th season with 140 takles. That's damn good. To compare, EJ had 105, and his career high is 118. That's alot of tackles. Shows that he is a reliable tackler, and can be trusted to make the stop as the last line of defense. Not overly huge, and not really the greatest in pass defense, but considering our safeties haven't been the greatest in pass defense, I can't see any downside here. While our front seven is far better than Buffalo's, with the exception of Poslusney, who could be better than anyone on our defense (yes, serious), expecting 140 tackles from him is a tall order on our D, but I want to see a safety who doesn't mind getting dirty if necessary. I expect us to shy a bit away from the zone coverage, and attack more with some mixes of man and zone, so he might be in a good situation here.

Weddle: Another solid tackler. 127, 82 and 96 tackles as a starter, with a handful of picks each season. Admittingly I didn't watch too much Chargers ball this season, so I don't know how great his coverage skills are in real life play, not just looking at numbers. I know he's decent, but other than that, not too sure. He's still an obvious upgrade.

Huff: really more of a risk pick here. Huge hitter, reminds me of a Roy Williams guy, but faster. Had his best season last year, flies all over the field, makes hits, but isn't the most solid in coverage. I'm not certain he's a good C2 Safety, but if we're going to be mixing it up, running some cover 1 or man-2, he could really be quite a good player for us. Not sure I'd trust him just yet as the last line of defense in a C2 scheme, but only one way to find out.

Probably the guy I want the most:

Landry: I'd be shocked if the Ravens didn't make a play to keep him, but if he goes free, we NEED to at least get this guy for a visit and talk some ball. He's a fast player, good coverage skills, good tackler. All-around good safety, that any defense should love to have. Young guy too, only 4 years in, so he's got some gas left in the tank still.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for the read Marrdro. But I am insulted :laugh:

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

What!?

There are probably 30 safeties in the league that are both cheaper, and better than Madieu Williams. At 6 years $33 million, Williams is one of the worst values in the league.

EDIT: That being said, I don't know if any of the top safeties in this class are really worth spending on. We need to make a move at safety, but with this class we'd be better off taking a risk with an underachieving/unproven guy than overpay for someone mediocre(again.) I'd rather we spend on the offensive line and on retaining some of our own free agents.

By making some roster alterations(cutting some deadweight: Berrian, Williams, letting Edwards and Leber( :unsure: ) walk) we can afford to bring in some solid offensive linemen, replacements/competition for both Herrera and Sullivan, retain Rice, bring in a cheap-ish veteran QB, and maybe extend Peterson, so long as we're able to avoid big initial cap hits by backloading contracts.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1100397

What!?

There are probably 30 safeties in the league that are both cheaper, and better than Madieu Williams. At 6 years $33 million, Williams is one of the worst values in the league.
    Some are more about being right on an internet site than their team winning.

Taking the stance that Madieu is a solid safety because the front four didn't do their job is just as crazy as saying Favre was a noodle arm in 2009.

Some take a stance and that's it.
    ďWhat takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Itís the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100399

What!?

Taking the stance that Madieu is a solid safety because the front four didn't do their job is just as crazy as saying Favre was a noodle arm in 2009.

I can agree to this. Also ranks up there to claiming Gerhart is almost as fast as AP.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100393

I'd rather spend a couple mil on a good upgrade than waste that money on a garbage starter. We have three guys capable of playing that poorly, all who cost less than M-Will. I would not bwe surprised if he's a late cut before the season starts.

Some guys I want:

Whitner: Coming off his 6th season with 140 takles. That's damn good. To compare, EJ had 105, and his career high is 118. That's alot of tackles. Shows that he is a reliable tackler, and can be trusted to make the stop as the last line of defense. Not overly huge, and not really the greatest in pass defense, but considering our safeties haven't been the greatest in pass defense, I can't see any downside here. While our front seven is far better than Buffalo's, with the exception of Poslusney, who could be better than anyone on our defense (yes, serious), expecting 140 tackles from him is a tall order on our D, but I want to see a safety who doesn't mind getting dirty if necessary. I expect us to shy a bit away from the zone coverage, and attack more with some mixes of man and zone, so he might be in a good situation here.

Weddle: Another solid tackler. 127, 82 and 96 tackles as a starter, with a handful of picks each season. Admittingly I didn't watch too much Chargers ball this season, so I don't know how great his coverage skills are in real life play, not just looking at numbers. I know he's decent, but other than that, not too sure. He's still an obvious upgrade.

Huff: really more of a risk pick here. Huge hitter, reminds me of a Roy Williams guy, but faster. Had his best season last year, flies all over the field, makes hits, but isn't the most solid in coverage. I'm not certain he's a good C2 Safety, but if we're going to be mixing it up, running some cover 1 or man-2, he could really be quite a good player for us. Not sure I'd trust him just yet as the last line of defense in a C2 scheme, but only one way to find out.

Probably the guy I want the most:

Landry: I'd be shocked if the Ravens didn't make a play to keep him, but if he goes free, we NEED to at least get this guy for a visit and talk some ball. He's a fast player, good coverage skills, good tackler. All-around good safety, that any defense should love to have. Young guy too, only 4 years in, so he's got some gas left in the tank still.
    Some good candidates. Couple of comments.....

but considering our safeties haven't been the greatest in pass defense,
    He, like our S's aren't asked to be great in pass defense. They are asked to keep the play in front of him. I think he would be a good fit in our C2 scheme but feel most would eventually turn on him because he isn't the "Ball Hawk" most seem to crave in a S.

Chargers defense is completely different from ours so it would be hard to guess as to how he would fit in our C2, however, they have been, like the Steelers, using alot of that Zone/Press look from the CB's. Kindof forces your S's into covering bigger zones. The few times I've watched him he closes those zones pretty well, but again, in an effort to keep the play in front of him (by design) and isn't a true "Ball Hawk".

Huff. Agree with your assesment. I wouldn't bring him in.

I still say that we won't see any moves at S this year unless we just outright release M-will in an effort to get under the CAP. Even then I don't see them doing anything other than using that money to resign Hussain and continue to develop the young S's on the roster.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1100395
    Thanks for the read Marrdro. But I am insulted :laugh:
    ......snicker.......

What!?

EDIT: That being said, I don't know if any of the top safeties in this class are really worth spending on. We need to make a move at safety, but with this class we'd be better off taking a risk with an underachieving/unproven guy than overpay for someone mediocre(again.) I'd rather we spend on the offensive line and on retaining some of our own free agents.

By making some roster alterations(cutting some deadweight: Berrian, Williams, letting Edwards and Leber( :unsure: ) walk) we can afford to bring in some solid offensive linemen, replacements/competition for both Herrera and Sullivan, retain Rice, bring in a cheap-ish veteran QB, and maybe extend Peterson, so long as we're able to avoid big initial cap hits by backloading contracts.
    I think you fix the DL so your S's don't look so bad. The OL will improve just by getting all the starters back healthy this year.

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100399

What!?

It isn't about right and wrong. Its about the discussion. You know that.

Aside from that, are you saying that our front 4 did their job last year? I don't. Hell, I don't think they showed up until about 1/3/midway through the season and didn't really start producing like they should have until 2/3rds into the season.

And I've never said that M-will is anything other than an over paid S. I'm just saying that if the defense is playing as designed he is more than adequate.

Besides, the Noodle didn't really show up until 2010 when Rice wasn't on the field. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast