Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast
    Mystophales is offline Rookie

Reciever in the draft...I don't think so

Alright I have introduced myself in another post so I figured i would start spewing forth my unwanted opinions as soon as possible.

I see a lot of people wanting to go for a reciever in the draft and I for one really don't see that as even remotely a good idea. Certainly not for a first round pick. Here are my reasons...

1. Ask the Lions how well that has worked out for them. (3 1st round picks...all pretty average)
    2. Ask the Browns how well that has worked for them. (Braylon who?)
    3. Wasn't there a couple of guys that the Vikes took first round. (Randy panned out until we decided we could do better and picked Williamson to replace him...hmmm that trade isn't looking to good)

My point is simply you are much better picking up guys that you know can catch in the NFL. I realize there aren't any big names in Free Agency as far as recievers are concerned but I honestly don't think you need a 'Big Name". I would much rather have three receivers that make the tough catch over the middle than three Terell Owens primadonna's that constantly tell you how good they are. The draft is really a crap shoot overall and for recievers even more so.

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Reciever in the draft...I don't think so

Braylon Edwards is a good receiver.
    I don't know why you said that.
    He is on a bad team.
    Makes a big difference.
    Put him on Chargers, he shines real bright.
    Going after a receiver is a good idea provided that he is the right receiver.
    Ginn Jr?
    No.
    Calvin J.
    Yes.
    Jarrett
    Maybe.
    If Calvin comes out, we need to trade up, not down to get him.
    If we cannot trade up and he comes out, then we have to move to getting a DB, FS, SS, CB etc.
    Not even a decent idea to take a OG or OT with that 7th pick.

Stonecoldet3 is offline Starter

"Mystophales" wrote:
    Alright I have introduced myself in another post so I figured i would start spewing forth my unwanted opinions as soon as possible.

I see a lot of people wanting to go for a reciever in the draft and I for one really don't see that as even remotely a good idea. Certainly not for a first round pick. Here are my reasons...

1. Ask the Lions how well that has worked out for them. (3 1st round picks...all pretty average)
    2. Ask the Browns how well that has worked for them. (Braylon who?)
    3. Wasn't there a couple of guys that the Vikes took first round. (Randy panned out until we decided we could do better and picked Williamson to replace him...hmmm that trade isn't looking to good)

My point is simply you are much better picking up guys that you know can catch in the NFL. I realize there aren't any big names in Free Agency as far as recievers are concerned but I honestly don't think you need a 'Big Name". I would much rather have three receivers that make the tough catch over the middle than three Terell Owens primadonna's that constantly tell you how good they are. The draft is really a crap shoot overall and for recievers even more so.
    You call Roy Williams an average reciever?
    Thats just ludicrous, he is a beast of a reciever who will get only better.
    I do think that if Calvin Johnson declares and is available at #7 we should draft him.
    I have read nothing but good things about his character and he might be the best reciever to come out in the draft in the past 5-10 years.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"vike_mike" wrote:
    He is on a bad team.
    Makes a big difference.
    Ginn Jr?
    No.
    Calvin J.
    Yes.
    Jarrett
    Maybe.
    If we cannot trade up and he comes out, then we have to move to getting a DB, FS, SS, CB etc.
    So what? Troy Williamson plays on a bad team... Does that make him good? If you put Troy on the Patriors would he suddenly stop dropping the ball? I doubt it.

Here's how I think we'll be drafting..

If Calvin is there- pick him.
    If Calvin isn't there, trade down for more picks.

Mystophales is offline Rookie

I said Braylon exactly for that reason...a good reciever can not turn a team around on his own and I honestly don't think a better reciever this year would have gotten us in the playoffs either. Plain and simple the Vikes are not a very good team right now (as much as it pains me to say it) and we need help in a lot of areas.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"vike_mike" wrote:
    He is on a bad team.
    Makes a big difference.
    Ginn Jr?
    No.
    Calvin J.
    Yes.
    Jarrett
    Maybe.
    Braylon is a flop.
    He dropped so many passes this year bad team and all.

Not to mention, he runs his mouth to the media way too much.
    3 weeks in a row he was calling out his teammates; even on games where he flat out blew.

He is probably one of the Brown's most disappointing players this year and most fans do not care for him or his attitude.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I really don't care as long as we get players that will help us win..

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

This post is dumb.
    It is dumb because it is not thought out.
    When you say make the relatively baseless claim that WRs don't warrant first round picks because they don't often turn out well can be said for any position - the draft is crap shoot.
    Looking at the 2003 draft there are 16 players out of 32 that were busts and only 3 WRs were drafted.

Another reason why your logic is faulty is that out of 33 WRs drafted in the first round from 1998-2004 (too early to tell for the 2005 class) 19 are either currently considered top players in the NFL or they are considered above average.
    That means they aren't busts.
    In case you don't want to do that math that about 58% of WRs drafted in the first round work out decently.
    So the majority of the time drafting a WR works out.

Also, you argument that WRs alone can't turn a team around is garbage because that can be said for any position save MAYBE quarterback.
    And we're not drafting a QB.

The Vikings are an offense with a good line and a good running game, the 2nd best run-defense in the modern era, and talent in the secondary.
    They are some play-makers in the passing game (and a quality veteran CB or two and better play calling) away from being a very good team.
    OUr biggest need in WR, there are 2 very good ones who will likely come out (Johnson and Jarrett) and another with a world of talent (Ginn) who could be available when we draft. We need to take one of them. Period!
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    This post is dumb.
    It is dumb because it is not thought out.
    When you say make the relatively baseless claim that WRs don't warrant first round picks because they don't often turn out well can be said for any position - the draft is crap shoot.
    Looking at the 2003 draft there are 16 players out of 32 that were busts and only 3 WRs were drafted.

Another reason why your logic is faulty is that out of 33 WRs drafted in the first round from 1998-2004 (too early to tell for the 2005 class) 19 are either currently considered top players in the NFL or they are considered above average.
    That means they aren't busts.
    In case you don't want to do that math that about 58% of WRs drafted in the first round work out decently.
    So the majority of the time drafting a WR works out.

Also, you argument that WRs alone can't turn a team around is garbage because that can be said for any position save MAYBE quarterback.
    And we're not drafting a QB.

The Vikings are an offense with a good line and a good running game, the 2nd best run-defense in the modern era, and talent in the secondary.
    They are some play-makers in the passing game (and a quality veteran CB or two and better play calling) away from being a very good team.
    OUr biggest need in WR, there are 2 very good ones who will likely come out (Johnson and Jarrett) and another with a world of talent (Ginn) who could be available when we draft. We need to take one of them. Period!
    Good post Vikeman!

[img width=50 height=50]http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/1.gif[/img]

wolverinex82x is offline Waterboy

Even though i have not been a member long, i have been reading posts for quite a while and no where have i read that they are going to look at the draft alone. i beleive drafting one of the 3 is what the vikings should do and let him sit back and learn and work his way into the lineup, unlike twill and braylon who were never ready when they became #1. that is also why i beleive the vikes need to look at FA for a player like drew bennett who would be a very capable WR on this team. bennett, twill, taylor, rookie #1, rookie #2 and possibly another FA or one of the other recievers we have on this team and it would move the ball alot better IMO

Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast