Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Moss is Boss is offline Training Camp

Reasonable roster overview and offseason forecast 2007!

Hi everyone, I just want to give you my thoughts about which positions the Vikings should address in the offseason but I also want to keep it realistic in terms of signing free agents. I saw a lot of Vikings Offseason Threads with high priced free agents coming to Minnesota. I don't think that will happen. “GM” Spielman said he will build through the draft (although this could be a smoke screen, but I don't think so) and mentioned the very weak 2007 free agent class. Many teams will have a lot of cap space so you have to overpay free agents this year. I want to let you know that I am not a big supporter of Childress and I’m tired of his lack of communication inside the organisation also outside the organisation. But we have to live with the fact that he will be HC for at least one more year, so the players which we sign this offseason must fit his Westcoast Offense and also must be “good guy” players, so we won’t sign or trade for a Player like Randy Moss (I think Randy is a good guy, but Childress certainly has another opinion) Have a look:

[img width=80 height=60]http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/nfl/teams/1/80x60/min.gif[/img]

QB: The Brad Johnson era is over. He will be cut, because he wants to start somewhere which is not very realistic, but you have to respect the old man’s desire and passion for the game. Although he played horrible at the end of the 2006 season I want to thank him for some good moments. Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger will battle for the starting position according to Brad Childress. He said he won’t sign a veteran QB as an insurance and the third QB will probably a project pick (later in the draft). I think we should sign a veteran like Garcia or Huard but it seems that won’t happen. I hope Tarvaris live up to the expectations but the Vikings must give him some weapons to throw to.

RB: Obviously we don’t have to address this position at all. Chester is our work horse and Mewelde Moore is an about average backup. Either Fason or Pinner should be gone in the offseason, so we sign or draft (late) a 4th RB. Annotation: I think we have to utilize M. Moore a lot more. He’s a hell of a playmaker and too good to be off the field most of the time. I can’t understand why Childress didn’t use him as a WR with our lack of good WRs.

FB: Tony Richardson should be our starting FB next season but he’s 35 years old. Former TE Jeff Dugan is our Backup and we recently signed him to a multiyear extension. It’s
    difficult to foresee if he will start some time, but right now I don’t think the Vikings will be very active to address the fullback position. Maybe we draft a FB late in the draft. Brian Leonard shouldn’t be an option and I think he won’t have such a big impact in the NFL. Annotation: We have another good FB on our roster who is actually listed as a TE: Jimmy Kleinsasser. Many Vikings Fans think that he will be cut and if he doesn’t take a pay cut, they could be right. I think he is a hell of a blocker but he is not worth “ Two point something” million dollar a year. But I like him and I hope we keep him.

TE: Wiggins, Kleinsasser and Owens are our TEs. Owens is a free agent ? he should be gone. Many Vikings fans see Wiggins and Kleinsasser leaving the Vikings. The reasons: Wiggins doesn’t fit Childress offense and Jimmy Kleinsasser takes away too much cap space. As I mentioned before we should keep Kleinsasser but the ball is in his hands, he has to take
    a paycut. I really like Wiggins as a player and as a human being (There is a reason that beside Sharper he is the most interviewed Viking on “Total Access”.) His strength is finding open spaces in the coverage of the defense but obviously Childress didn’t let him play like that.
    Although I prefer Wiggins over Childress there is a major chance that he will be gone. ?
    So we come to our first big offseason edition: The Vikings sign Daniel Graham. [img width=220 height=230]http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/256227.jpg[/img] The Patriots will certainly not re-sign him (Benjamin Watson is the reason), so he will be a free agent in March. Another (unrestricted) free agent option is Eric Johnson, but he is injury prone. A lot of people ask for an early TE pick in the draft. TEs like Zach Miller, Greg Olsen or Gopher Matt Spaeth (later) are options but I think we shouldn’t spend a first day pick on a TE. We should keep our pick and go with Graham.

WR: Where to start? Thinking about our WRs troubles me in these days. Being used to watching players like Randy Moss and Cris Carter, Vikings Fans are tired of the lack of production from our WRs this season. Williamson is the only WR (apart from project players like Martin Nance and Jason Carter) we have under contract for next season. I have a gut feeling that Travis Taylor won’t come back and his recent arrest won’t help. The cutting of our most productive player and also a fan favourite Marcus Robinson on Christmas Eve was a cold-hearted act. I’m not an idealist and I understand that business is business, but in my opinion it didn’t make any sense. It was just an act of revenge by Childress and it certainly didn’t improve our roster. Back to Troy Williamson, the man with the best (hands down) hands on earth. ;-) There is no question that this guy is talented and blessed with skills. His problems are mentally and I think it would have been a better decision (by Childress) to put him in the starting lineup (he actually was inactive) against the rams, so he could gain confidence. I think he will be much better next year, but we can’t bank on him so we have to acquire two starting wide receivers. The WR free agent class is weak but we desperately need someone, so we have to overpay a WR. The “top” unrestricted WRs are Drew Bennett, Kevin Curtis and Donte Stallworth. The “top” restricted WRs are D.J. Hackett, Ernest Wilford, Patrick Crayton and Sammy Parker. I like Crayton but I think he will get a first round tender because he was drafted in the seventh round. I would like to have Tarvaris (Jackson) throwing to Stallworth next year, but I fear the Eagles are still going to re-sign him. I know that most of the Vikings Fan would not like this signing (me included), in this scenario the Vikings sign Drew Bennett. [img width=150 height=180]http://www.nfl.com/images/2004/drew_bennett_150x180.jpg[/img] Due to the lack of depth we also sign a lower class WR, but I am not willing to speculate who the guy is. Our second starter will be acquired through the draft. Our #7 overall pick won’t be enough to select Calvin Johnson. There are 2 opportunities: Trade up and pick C.J. if this is possible or stay at 7 (maybe trade down some spots) and select USC Wideout Dwayne Jarett. I think the more likely scenario is the second one, so the Vikings select Dwayne Jarett with their first round pick. [img width=220 height=220]http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ncf/2005/0922/photo/i_jarrett_195.jpg[/img]
    The deep draft class combined with the fact that we need more playmakers at the WR position let the Vikings think about selecting another Wide Receiver later in the draft and even possibly on the first day. I want to name especially Jeff Samardzija (Notre Dame), Dwayne Bowe (LSU), Robert Meachem (Tennessee) and Steve Smith (USC), but again no speculation right now.

Offensive Line: Anthony Herrera who was inactive for most of the season is an unrestricted free agent, which should mean that he is gone. Our top backup at guard and center Jason Whittle, who is also an UFA should be retained or the Vikings have at least to look for another acceptable backup. There is no need addressing the left side of the offensive line or the middle. McKinnie earned himself a multiyear extension at the start of the season and Steve Hutchinson also received big bucks from the Vikings last spring. Pro Bowler and Ed Block Courage Award winner Matt Birk is a lock at center. The right side played not good at all this season no matter who was in there. Many Vikings Fans are demanding that Marcus Johnson should be moved back to RG and I hope that this will be the case. He looked lost out there at tackle on many occasions. Artis Hicks who joined the Vikings on draft day played average all season long. Rosenthal and second round pick Ryan Cook shared some time at RT at the end of the season but none of them showed enough to start next season. Cook could be a future starter but he is not ready to play yet, although it was certainly good for him to gain some experience. I think the free agent draft class concerning the offensive line is not bad at all led by the Bengals Eric Steinbach and the Chargers Kris Dielman. Both are guards. I also want to mention David Dockery (G), Leonard Davis (T) and Mike Gandy (T). I think these guys demand al lot of money and they will get it, but not in Minnesota. A lot of Vikings Fans hope that the Vikings will sign Dockery but I am not sold on him at all. The Vikings have to address the right side of the offensive line but I don’t thing that will result in signing a high priced Free Agent. They will sign a middle class O-Liner or take one early in the draft. I hope that they will not spend an early draft pick, because they chose Marcus Johnson and Ryan Cook in the last two drafts.

D-Line: Our DT Pro Bowl duo Kevin Williams and Pat Williams is the best in the league. (Sorry, Stroud & Henderson). Maybe we could bring in a young DT for depth reasons but also to succeed Pat Williams who will be 34 next October. Spencer Johnson (RFA) and Ross Kolodziej (UFA) are free agents and we have to see if they are able to stay. I don’t expect a big free agent signing here. Maybe, we draft a DT in the later rounds of the draft.
    Nearly every Vikings Fan wants to have a new passrushing Defensive End. I have to admit that our passrush was horrible all-season long but you have to consider that 2005 first-round choice Erasmus James will return next season. Keneche Udeze (2004 first round pick) & Darrion Scott (restricted free agent; contract discussions began last month) are good against the rush but they are not nearly as good against the pass. 2006 4th round draft choice Ray Edwards is a pure Pass Rusher and showed flashes this season. So if we can re-sign Scott (to a reasonable contract) we have two solid run-stoppers and two good pass-rushers. I think we don’t need a Free Agent at the defensive end position who will demand big bucks, but let’s take a look who’s on the market: Dwight Freeney is arguably the best player in this year’s free agency. I don’t know the exactly cap situation of the colts but I think they can’t retain him.
    Justin Smith, Patrick Kerney and Jared Allen are also very good pass rushing DE. Kerney is a little bit injury prone and Jared Allan was recently arrested. Although Jared’s father was once on the Vikings Training Camp roster, he doesn’t fit Childress’ requirements. Although I don’t think that it is necessary the Vikings sign Justin Smith. [img width=380 height=339]http://www.bengalsbrigade.com/files/images/justin-smith-beats-jamal-lewis.jpg[/img]
    With Quentin Moses and Gaines Adams there are two really good DE prospects in this year’s draft. But I hope we go WR with our first so they aren’t realistic options.

Linebacker: The biggest question is if Napoleon Harris, an unrestricted free agent acquired in the Randy Moss trade, stays or not? Outside Linebackers Ben Leber and E.J. Henderson (who recently signed a multiyear extension) should have locked up their positions. There is a possibility that E.J. will be moved back to his natural position: Middle Linebacker. 2006 first round draft choice Chad Greenway will return after he sat out the 2006 season after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in the preseason opener. If Harris returns, they should battle for the remaining position. I think we should keep Napoleon Harris, but only if we don’t have to overpay him immensely. Dontarrius Thomas showed that he is a solid backup and will stay in that position. There are some really good Linebackers who will become free agents. Lance Briggs (Pro Bowl), Cato June, London Fletcher-Baker and Adalius Thomas (Pro Bowl), just to name the cream of the crop.
    My opinion is that we won’t sign any of them, because we have solid, young Linebackers under contract for some more years and we have more glaring holes to fill. Of course the acquisition of a “no-name” LB or a later pick in the draft for depth reasons could be an option.

Cornerback: There is a reason why Vikings Fans love Antoine Winfield. His performance on the field is incredible and it is a shame that he wasn’t selected to the pro bowl again. He is also a leader in the locker room and our first starting cornerback for the next years. Cedric Griffin could have been a steal in the second round. He played a solid rookie season and I expect him to start next season alongside Antoine Winfield. I am curious if Fred Smoot will be a Viking next season. He lost his starting position to Griffin and I don’t think that he is willing to play as a nickel cornerback. I think we shouldn’t cut him. Although he didn’t play great football last season, he wasn’t that bad. If we can get appropriate value (maybe a third or forth round pick) we should trade him. If we don’t, we should keep him on the roster! People will pass again a lot against us next season, so our nickelback has nearly the playing time of a starter. Devonte Edwards and Charles Gordon are the 4th and 5th Cornerbacks respectively. Nate Clements and Asante Samuel are the best free agent cornerbacks. That means they will get themselves a big contract but not from the Vikings. My guess is that we sign Roderick Hood, an unrestricted free agent, but only if Smoot leaves. [img width=201 height=298]http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/DMCOLFAHEKIP/080605-HOOD.jpg[/img] He will leave Philadeplphia because they already have two starters: Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard. Although the cornerback position is not a glaring need I can imagine the Vikings are going to draft one, even on the first day.

Safety: There were rumors after the Rams game that Darren Sharper won’t come back, but I don’t think there is any reason, that this could be true. I also hope that Dwight Smith will be retained. I think he had a great season. UFA SS Tank Williams won’t come back and he will not be signed by another team until he is fully recovered from a knee injury. So Sharper and Smith should be our starting Safeties next season and 2006 5th round pick Greg Blue will backup both positions. Due to Sharper’s age and Smith’s off the field problems I could imagine that the Vikings will bring in another safety. Ken Hamlin is the best free agent safety and there also some good safeties in this year’s draft.

Kicker: Ryan Longwell is our Kicker. Period.

Punter: Chris Kluwe is an unrestricted Free Agent. There are not any good free agent punters on the market, so we should just re-sign him.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Reasonable roster overview and offseason forecast 2007!

"Moss" wrote:

[img width=220 height=220]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/Eagles1fan5/DJarrett_MIN.jpg[/img]
    Just an FYI, Alan Page's number (88) is retired.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Good post. I might come back on a more in depth rebutal later.

The thing that just marked my attention now is this: No. 88 is Page's old number, and that is retired.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Just out of curiosity, why does your Photobucket account name say "Eagles1Fan"? :-

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, why does your Photobucket account name say "Eagles1Fan"? :-\
    Uh oh! Busted!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Good stuff there buddy!

I would agree with all that there

One Love

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, why does your Photobucket account name say "Eagles1Fan"? :-\
    Uh oh! Busted!
    Bandwagon????

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    Ha ha, good find singer. (lol)

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"WVV" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Uh oh! Busted!
    Bandwagon????
    Let's not be like this.
    The guy obviously did a lot of work on this piece.

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "WVV" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Uh oh! Busted!
    Bandwagon????
    Let's not be like this.
    The guy obviously did a lot of work on this piece.
    Agreed, nice work....very well thought out ....a little bit of a stretch in free agency I think as there will be a lot of competition for guys since the pickins are so slim.
    I think guys like Taylor and Smoot will be in new area codes....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast