Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Reason we aren't attracting FA's like last year...

Considering we are off to the fastest start to the free angency period and we still have lots of money to spend and need to fill, this is very premature. Players will say Tice or Daunte is why they came here but money and playing time are far bigger influences and we have more of each to offer than any team in the league. I look for us to have a lot of success in free agency this year. I posted this on another thread but its fitting for this one. I love this quote from childress: "If they're good players and we have an interest, we're probably going to get them in here."

[color=red]

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "Williamson8211" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    I think we'lve had a pretty good FA period so far! We're only 24 hours into it and we got our first choices at kicker, running back and linebacker. Sounds pretty good to me.
    Ummmmmm not really

I think we wanted Vinateri, we got Longwell

We wanted James, we got Taylor

We wanted Witherspoon, we got Leber

I dont like our free angency right now

What we wanted, and what the Vikings front office wanted are two different things. Apparently, the Vikings got exactly who they wanted. If they wanted Vinateri, James, and Witherspoon they would have set up meetings with them instead of Leber, Longwell, and Taylor..
    Stole the words right from me before I had the chance. ltrey's "we" means the Vikings. Williamson8211, your "we" is you and other PPOers and some beat writers. By not getting the top guys in your opinion does not make this unsuccessful. The team didn't go after anyone and lose out. So far it appears they are batting 1000. So ltrey nailed it when he said "we" got our first choices. This isn't fantasy football we're talking about. These guys are good pickups and we can still go after some big $$$ guys. Relax. I can't stand the mindset of fans that if the team doesn't get who the fan wants its not a success.

[color=red]

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

We have done fine so far. 4 signings in the 1st day is pretty good. Right now we are filling holes. The only one I'm not sure about is Leber but Fran Foley knows more than i do regarding him. Taylor is a great pick up no matter what anyone thinks. He's a blue-collared back that runs well and catches well out of the backfield. Longwell is only percentage points behind Vandy or Vinny when it comes to FG%. We all know what K-Rob is capable of. Don't think we are going to shoot our load on the first day. FA lasts a few months. There will be other FAs come available as time goes on. Don't sweat it yet.

"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:
    after one day last year we only had Pat Williams Signed. We're actually ahead of pace if you think about it.

AND, Minnesota is having Steve Hutchinson fly into today!!! So we could actually add more people by the end of the weekend!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Actually we can only make Hutch an offer. Seattle has 7 days to match it.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Why are people saying we got Leber instead of Witherspoon? They don't play the same position and I am sure everyone knew we needed more then 1 LB heading into this offseason.

And we still need to add another RB this offseason, so I don't think we are done there. Edge is obviously out, but we had other areas of greater need, that needed that money. Taylor and a RB in the draft like Maroney or White will be fine, if we can fix our O-line in FA.

It was the first day of FA for pete sakes! Stop acting like we are done and have a little patience and confidence in our coach and FO.

If there is one guy to overpay as people like to say it would be Hutchinson. We need to throw so much money at hiim that he signs before he leaves without thinking twice about looking at other teams and that there is no way Seattle can match it

[color=red]

I agree. Let's make the offer about 7.25. I don't think Seattle will even try to touch it. That shoudl still give us enough room for the draft and pick up other FAs like Witherspoon or Peterson. At this point I don't think Witherspoon will be an option. If we can snag Hutch that would be awesome. I would feel very confident with BJ calling the plays one more year.

By the way, anyone want to buy a Culpepper signed mini helmet? lol. I'm just kidding. I would still keep it. It's funny I have a mini helmet with Moss and one with Pep in a crystal shodow box with their names and a Viking logo etched in the glass. Now they both will be gone.

eelpout72 is offline Starter

I think that we're doing reasonably well thus far. I really like Longwell. However, I dont know much about Leber and Taylor and wish we would have made a run at Edge. But since we still have MeMo I think that we'll be fine at RB (and we might have Onterrio back as well).

PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

"eelpout72" wrote:
    I think that we're doing reasonably well thus far. I really like Longwell. However, I dont know much about Leber and Taylor and wish we would have made a run at Edge. But since we still have MeMo I think that we'll be fine at RB (and we might have Onterrio back as well).
    Agreed, I think the Whizz will finally clean up his act this year. (At least I hope he does)
    Retired 12/21/08

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast