Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Realistically, what is Smoot worth in a trade?

People, often times jokingly, toss Smoot's name into the mix with some kind of potential trade.
    What is his realistic value?
    I think his value on the team is worth more than his value on the steets.
    His value on the streets is worth, what, maybe a 5th and a bag of potato chips?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Realistically, what is Smoot worth in a trade?

Probably a 4th rounder, maybe more to someone who really needs a corner, but not much more.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Chad8970 is offline Rookie

A 5th. at the most.
    However, trading him would free up some more cap and loose one big pain in the butt.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    People, often times jokingly, toss Smoot's name into the mix with some kind of potential trade.
    With his high cap number, I don't think he's tradeable without a re-negotiation.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    A fifth of what? Ripple?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    With his high cap number, I don't think he's tradeable without a re-negotiation.

=Z=
    That is a problem, here's a blurb from KFFL:

Vikings | Smoot wants a starting job, even if it means leaving team - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:11:02 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings CB Fred Smoot said he is open to returning to the Minnesota Vikings in 2007, but that a starting job is mandatory. Smoot said he is a "third corner to nobody," and said he would want to move on if the Vikings plan on starting CBs Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffin. Smoot added, "There ain't no room for Fred Smoot to be on the bench. I'm prepared to be a third corner at the end of my career, and we're not even close to that. That ain't what I'm paid to do. I'm one of the highest-paid corners in the NFL. Who wants to pay someone that much (to be a third cornerback)?" Smoot's base salary for 2007 is $2.7 million and he is due a $2 million roster bonus in March. The team would save $400,000 in salary cap space if he is released before the bonus is due.
    The guy is not worth what he's being paid and his street value is not worth what he thinks it is.
    Tough situation.
    I'm not a big fan of this character, I would go with the loss and make him walk the plank if no re-negotiation takes place (unlikely) and nobody shows interest for a reasonable pick (likely).
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

He is worth more in a trade this year than he is worth next year.
    His contract is still manageable, even at the nickel spot for this season.
    But after that he would need to renegotiate or be cut.

Smoot is actually a decent corner.
    He is a very solid nickel, and could be the number 2 corner on a number of teams.
    But that monster contract is a deal killer.
    Without him agreeing to renegotiate (which he hinted that he wouldn't) it would be hard for a team to bite.

To that affect, I agree with Prophet.
    I think his value on the team in 07 is higher than any trade value we would get from him, barring a major contract re-do.
    However, after 07, his trade value would be next to nothing because every team would know he would be a cap casualty.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Really, he doesn't have a say in what happens to him next season.. If the Vikings want him to ride the pine, he will be riding the pine.. He says that there is no room on the bench for Fred Smoot, there will be plenty of room if Childress decides that there is room..

His salary may come in to play when trying to make a trade, but we may find a team that hard up for a decent CB that they will make the trade.. I say the Vikes will be talking quite a bit to other teams to try and trade him, hopefully for a good WR..

WileEViking is offline Rookie

A six pack of Grain Belt Premium and a bag of Lays...and maybe a fourth-round pick... ;D
    Still waiting for the drugs to kick in...

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    He is worth more in a trade this year than he is worth next year.
    His contract is still manageable, even at the nickel spot for this season.
    But after that he would need to renegotiate or be cut.

Smoot is actually a decent corner.
    He is a very solid nickel, and could be the number 2 corner on a number of teams.
    But that monster contract is a deal killer.
    Without him agreeing to renegotiate (which he hinted that he wouldn't) it would be hard for a team to bite.

To that affect, I agree with Prophet.
    I think his value on the team in 07 is higher than any trade value we would get from him, barring a major contract re-do.
    However, after 07, his trade value would be next to nothing because every team would know he would be a cap casualty.
    The problem with Smoot is that he has already said he won't "be a nickel for nobody" or something like that. The odds of him staying around if he isn't a starter are REALLY slim, even if it means cutting him. I just don't see the Chiller starting ol' loud mouth, can't tackle Smoot and benching Griffin who showed that he can really play and is probably one of the best young corners in the game (at least to this point).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast