Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:RB Johnson could provide more competition behind A

Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    ThorSPL wrote:
    RB is the easiest position to fill in football. I'm really not too worried there.
    +1

There are a few that rise from the run-of-the-mill pile, but many are servicable. If AD doesn't get his fumbling problem resolved I hope he walks the plank.
    Just wondering, why you think RB is the easiest position to fill? I always thought that RB is one of those positions that you need to address in the draft and fairly early.

While you always notice the RBs that were UFAs or drafted late because of the prominance as a RB (Feature position), I would list RB as one of the harder positions to fill with a goodplayer if you don't go after a 1st half draft pick or Top FA. IMHO
    I think the feeling that you can just wait and pluck one later in the draft is something new for most and it basically comes from what staffs have been doing the last 2 or 3 years.

I broke it down in another thread and won't do it here, but suffice it to say, most of the RB's taken now are taken in the last 3 or 4 rounds instead of the first.

This in large part, I think, is because of the emphasis staffs are putting on OL and DLmen in the first couple of rounds instead of your traditional "Skilled" players.
    RBs have to be easy to plug in because they get hurt. We all know that the average career for a runningback is around 4 years. It is rare that someone last longer than that and if they do, they are probably going to the hall of fame. There are not that many types of backs. Think about the Texans last year. They had a merry go-round at running back at the end of their season. Patriots and Colts have never really had a star in their backfield. They just take anyone and plug him back there. If Olandis Gary can run for 1100 yards, anyone can.
    We're bringing purple back.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Re:RB Johnson could provide more competition behind A

gregair13 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    ThorSPL wrote:
    RB is the easiest position to fill in football. I'm really not too worried there.
    +1

There are a few that rise from the run-of-the-mill pile, but many are servicable. If AD doesn't get his fumbling problem resolved I hope he walks the plank.
    Just wondering, why you think RB is the easiest position to fill? I always thought that RB is one of those positions that you need to address in the draft and fairly early.

While you always notice the RBs that were UFAs or drafted late because of the prominance as a RB (Feature position), I would list RB as one of the harder positions to fill with a goodplayer if you don't go after a 1st half draft pick or Top FA. IMHO
    I think the feeling that you can just wait and pluck one later in the draft is something new for most and it basically comes from what staffs have been doing the last 2 or 3 years.

I broke it down in another thread and won't do it here, but suffice it to say, most of the RB's taken now are taken in the last 3 or 4 rounds instead of the first.

This in large part, I think, is because of the emphasis staffs are putting on OL and DLmen in the first couple of rounds instead of your traditional "Skilled" players.
    RBs have to be easy to plug in because they get hurt. We all know that the average career for a runningback is around 4 years. It is rare that someone last longer than that and if they do, they are probably going to the hall of fame. There are not that many types of backs. Think about the Texans last year. They had a merry go-round at running back at the end of their season. Patriots and Colts have never really had a star in their backfield. They just take anyone and plug him back there. If Olandis Gary can run for 1100 yards, anyone can.
    I went back to the 2005 draft and looked at the players who are effective RB1s and RB2s. I found that the trend is heavily weighted towards earlier round RBs. I know there are always exceptions, but, by-and-large I think RB performance is more closely related to RB draft position (Talent/athletic ability) than most realize.

See my distribution of "RB1s and RB2s by Grade 2005-2009 (ref CBS rankings)"

Grade.......Count
    7-FA.......1
    FA.........1
    Total......41

Maybe I am just "hard headed", I have been told by many that I am wrong on this, but when I do the research, I just don't see a bias towards late round draft picks/talent at RB. It always shows a significant bias towards early picks (greater than most other positions).

I would like to see that other thread where you broke down that "Most of the backs are taken in the last 3 or 4 rounds...", could you provide a link...I may really be missing something here.
    None

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12