Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Rate our draft by grade

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    With the picks we had, you might be able to argue that we did ok.
    But it was one of the dullest drafts for the Vikings that I can remember.
    Jared Allen was our draft this year.
    If you take him out of the picture and look at how much our draft is going to help our team,
    I would put us in the C category.

I would not be surprised if only 2 of these picks actually make the team.
    Tyrell Johnson and Booty. At rounds 5-7, if even 2 of them make the team (booty, jaymar, sullivan, or guion),
    I would say they made good picks.
    Doubt Sullivan will make it as Marrdro has already convinced me that Mozes is the man to replace Birk.
    Guion does not seem to fit the Vikings mold at all from a personality standpoint and Jaymar I know nothing about.

Again, outside of Johnson, all we had were 5-7 round picks, how much impact are you really expecting for these picks.

Very ho-hum draft.
    Spin it any way you want, but pretty damned dull in my book.
    The team is still looking good and I'm excited to start the year, but not expecting to see a whole lot of impact from the 2008 draft.
    Just keep footnoting to myself that Allen really was our draft this year.
    no one said it was gonna be flashy, most of the people on here knew it was gonna be dull and just got BPA or draft the players for depth, like i said before, this draft COULD be the future with some of out stars getting older, we could have their replacements here
    I would judge the quality of these picks by whether they make the team this year.
    Future stars is way too far into dreamland for me.
    If it happens great, but I'm not going to be expecting it.

I'm not knocking the picks they made as much as what the expectations should be for this year's draft in helping this team out.
    This year's draft was Jared Allen and Tyrell, the rest are going to compete to make the team.

Last year we drafted 8 guys and 6 of them made the team.
    AD, Rice, Macauley, Robison, Allison, and Rufus (albeit IR).
    5 of them made nice contributions, I would be surprised if this year's class comes anywhere close even when including Allen.
    Put AD and Allen as a push then compare the rest.
    you cannot compare the two drafts that is ludacrous. 1. We had less picks and 2. We had the 17th overall not the 7th overall, so we are not gonna get as much talent as we did they year before, but with what picks we took, minus the DT, i liked the picks, and i dont have a problem with them
    Actually we had 9 picks, we gave 3 for Allen and one for Tyrell if you include Allen with the draft which seems to be the way we are doing this poll (which is fine).
    The picks may work out fine, they just don't excite me much.
    Tyrell and Booty I'm good with, the others don't do much for me.

If 3 of our draft picks (outside of Allen) make the team and contribute I will change my grade.

But then again, I'm just a fan, we should just sit back and have faith in our FO, which makes these polls and conversations irrelevant.

I think the NFLN guys had it right when they said the Vikings are going for broke by picking what they think are the key pieces to making a SB run (Allen vs. young talent for development).
    A big departure from the last couple of years, but I'm not against it.... if they are right
    ;D
    This is what separates good teams from bad ones, lets hope they got it right.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I would have to say we moved from a B- to a solid B with who we have picked up so far as UDFA

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I consider Allen our first round pick, and thats how the FO was looking at the signing also I believe.

With that in mind, and without getting into alot of details, I'm going to give this years draft a solid B Plus.

I still believe we aren't done yet either, I believe we are going to pick up at least one or two Vets with a couple of good years left in them, when teams start to cut down their rosters...

This is when I think the Vikings FO will shore up or O line....

I'm very pleased and excited with how our off season and draft has gone

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"NordicNed" wrote:
    I consider Allen our first round pick, and thats how the FO was looking at the signing also I believe.

With that in mind, and without getting into alot of details, I'm going to give this years draft a solid B Plus.

I still believe we aren't done yet either, I believe we are going to pick up at least one or two Vets with a couple of good years left in them, when teams start to cut down their rosters...

That could be. I am actually feeling better about the fact that we did not pick up much in the way of OL especially OT. My thought is that they se soem FA out there that would be better fits than what we could of picked up.

"Garland" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:

That could be. I am actually feeling better about the fact that we did not pick up much in the way of OL especially OT. My thought is that they se soem FA out there that would be better fits than what we could of picked up.
    FA for the vikings gets an A, the draft gets a C'ish grade in my book.
    UDFA, is FA...notice the un in drafted
    ;D..
    Overall offseason moves to this point I can buy into the B/B+ rankings, this seems to be how the rationalization for the good draft is working out.
    I'm good with that, just tried to isolate on the draft itself.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

B to B- as it stands right now....maybe more towards a B

Allen is factored into that grade.
    I think we could have used some help in other spots, but I dont evaluate the talent like these guys do for a couple of years.
    Over the past several months I am sure they have put in many long days evaluating our team, college prospects, FA prospects, as well as the needs of other teams, to see where they may have to trade to to get in front of other teams who may have the same needs at the Vikes.

I wish we would have had more draft choices, but things are OK where they stand.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

the one thing i can say for sure... is i LOVE how aggressive they were

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

wow... heres a post by a guy on goal line blitz discussing the draft..

silverandblackattack -- Apr 26, 2008 17:34:58

The Raiders instantly doubled their offensive output by drafting DMAC. I think he is better than Adrian Peterson of the Vikings. Time will tell.
    Fuckin kidding me...!?

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    wow... heres a post by a guy on goal line blitz discussing the draft..

silverandblackattack -- Apr 26, 2008 17:34:58

The Raiders instantly doubled their offensive output by drafting DMAC. I think he is better than Adrian Peterson of the Vikings. Time will tell.
    fricken kidding me...!?

Give the guy a break, he needs to find something to cheer for next year

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Whoever voted E- better be a packer fan..

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast