Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rate our draft by grade

Whoops, I voted before I read about Allen being included.

B with Allen.

C- without.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

5 future hall of famers and jared allen!!! how could this be anything but an a++++
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"marshallvike" wrote:
    5 future hall of famers and jared allen!!! how could this be anything but an a++++
    LOL, did you post this in the optimism thread yet?
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "marshallvike" wrote:
    LOL, did you post this in the optimism thread yet?
    after reading a lot of these responses, i thought this was the optimism thread.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    Whoops, I voted before I read about Allen being included.

B+ with Allen.

C- without.
    I can get behind that!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Generally speaking, we just witnessed a BPA/depth to key needs draft.
    None of these players will be expected to start the year as starters, but rather, complement what we already have and provide better depth in the case of injuries and/or retirements down the road.
    For nearly a decade, we drafted for the now...consideration to schemetic fit and future depth didn't exist.
    It was we got this guy that sucks and we need a xxxx that can play now!
    Then, just when they were almost through their learning curve, usually, we let them go make more money elsewhere.
    Pretty sure McCombs never had any intentions for the Vikes other than making some bucks.
    Probably the reason he signed some FA Tice's last few years...kind of like throwing some new paint on a rundown house.

I see a much better focus on the long term with our new FO.
    They have put their schemes in over the past two years, went out and signed or traded for key players at their weaknesses, and now, provided good, young potential to positions we were a bit long or thin at.
    Obviously, we'll have a better idea of how good this draft was in three years...But for now, Overall, I'll say B+
    Cuz the rest of the grades are good enough to make up for the incomplete.
    If Guion surprises, maybe its an A.

Jared Allen A+
    I'm still in shock that the NFL sack leader (in only 14 games) ever became available at all.
    We've seen what this guy can do with midgrade DTs, now he's got two of the best lined up right next door.
    Wow!

Tyrell Johnson A-
    I was shocked at the pick...for most of a day, thinking we had bigger needs now.
    But after checking out the videos, numbers, etc, I am stoked.
    This guy will scare enemy STs in year 1.
    From a deep S spot, he flys like a bazooka rocket straight at whoever has the ball and usually, blows them up in a similar fation.
    Madieu has had some injuries in the past and Sharper isn't getting any younger, so this pick will likely show its value sooner than later.

John David Booty A
    Good value and fit and ready enough to provide depth this year.
    Also, seemingly, a good fit on the old "character and family standpoint."
    Hopefully, TJack is healthy and hitting Berrian early and often to loosen up stacked Ds so we can eat up the rest of the clock with our dominant running game.
    But, there's a reasonable chance, at some point, we'll need depth at QB, and the options look a lot better.

LeTroy Guion
    *incomplete*
    Risk/reward type I guess.
    I did want depth there, but wouldn't have minded Nicks at OT.
    This guy does look to have the size and agility to add some more strength to his frame, and we have some good guys there to inspire and teach him.

John Sullivan
    A
    Smart kid with good size and room to grow.
    Lots of experience in a pro style system.
    A year in our system and he'll be ready to replace Birk.
    Also could most likely play some OG or maybe even OT if needed.

Jaymar Johnson
    A-
    Love the hands in the combine drills...fluid and solid.
    All I've been asking for is a reliable WR.
    Speed, size whatever don't mean shit if you drop the damn ball all the time.
    Kid seems to have the hands and run good routes.
    Plus, he's got return skills.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Jared Allen: A+

He is a beast. This deal was worth even before seeing what the jags gave up. We will never regret this.
    Fills major void for many years. Will make our defense better as a whole.

Tyrell Johnson:
    A

I love Darren Sharper. He is one of my favorite players. This pick at first disappointed me. With that being said I think it was a good decision. Did not realize a lot of people had him ranked as the best safety in the draft. What else I like about him is not I have heard people say that he can play corner as well because he is a good coverage guy. He also is not afraid to hit. Sharper IMO is a me me guy. I could remember a play last year that he butt his way into an interception when I think it was Cedric that would of had it. Sharper is older and might be afraid to lay the big hurt because retirement is very close. Maybe 2-3 years away. This guy could easily step in if Sharper goes down.

John David Booty:
    A

Amazing value in the 5th round. Who would of thought he would fall to us this late in the draft. I did not think he would make it past the 4th. People say he is an NFL ready QB because of the offense he played in at USC. No pressure to go in unless TJ gets hurt and Gus stinks it up. Bad thing is is that both could happen. I believe in TJ and think that we won't have to worry about it. Great insurance policy for this year. Booty knows how to win and should be comfortable with the speed of the game. Quick question. How long do you think it will be before we see " I want Booty" signs in the stands at the dome?

Letroy Guion F

Should of picked Carl Nicks! This guy should provide depth at DT which is great cause we need it but OT is too much of a concern to pass up on a guy that I believe should of been taking way earlier.

John Sullivan B

I guess they don't think Mozes is the answer. Still no OT!

Jaymar Johnson F

WTF! We failed to draft an OT. This guy might not even make the practice squad.

Overall: B+
    Would have been an easy A but I am worried only know about OT.
    We must really have faith in Ryan Cook. That makes me nervous. Hopefully Chase Johnson and Marcus Johnson can step it up if McKinnie ends up being suspended. TJ is going to need all the help he can get.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Lol these threads are funny. I have included a player grade and a selection grade. I like to rank the player but also give a greade on where we selected him.

Tyrell johnson: B+ / B - Good prospect but we gave up too much for him. Even if he was taken. A D. Smith or Dajuan Wagner at our original # 2 spot would have allowed us to keep our 4th. Why do we need a day 1 starter that won't be starting this year? Saftey should be a positiong you develop. This is the positiong to take a guy that will be a stud in 2 years not Qb.

Joh David Booty: B / A - Great pick for the round. I can't argue with the round we took him in and this pick turned our draft around.

Letroy Guion: D / D - He loves to work out but that doesn't translate to the feild. he gets too high, gets envolped and is not a good prospect. Not even on most people's draft board. Ran a 5.36. Yuck!

John Sullivan C / B+ - Loved this pick up. Apperantly he can't snap out of the gun formation.
    Will make the team and he was te leader of his OL.

Jaymar Johnson: C- /C He looks good but he is playing against lessor talent. His footwork screams elite prospect but his top speed isn't there. I have seen conflicting reports about his route running. Some people love it, others hate it. I think it's about average. He will make the team but he strikes me as AA type of wr. He needs to add bulk.

The overall draft grade is a C-.
    I included JA as a member of this draft. We really didn't do anything on Offense and the Dolphins keep coming to mind. Lets see Off player development FO.

Jimmymeboy is offline Starter

I like that we addressed need, and got depth!
    I'm also giving the grade a boost because of Allen!

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Generally speaking, we just witnessed a BPA/depth to key needs draft.
    None of these players will be expected to start the year as starters, but rather, complement what we already have and provide better depth in the case of injuries and/or retirements down the road.
    For nearly a decade, we drafted for the now...consideration to schemetic fit and future depth didn't exist.
    It was we got this guy that sucks and we need a xxxx that can play now!
    Then, just when they were almost through their learning curve, usually, we let them go make more money elsewhere.
    Pretty sure McCombs never had any intentions for the Vikes other than making some bucks.
    Probably the reason he signed some FA Tice's last few years...kind of like throwing some new paint on a rundown house.

I see a much better focus on the long term with our new FO.
    They have put their schemes in over the past two years, went out and signed or traded for key players at their weaknesses, and now, provided good, young potential to positions we were a bit long or thin at.
    Obviously, we'll have a better idea of how good this draft was in three years...But for now, Overall, I'll say B+
    Cuz the rest of the grades are good enough to make up for the incomplete.
    If Guion surprises, maybe its an A.

Jared Allen A+
    I'm still in shock that the NFL sack leader (in only 14 games) ever became available at all.
    We've seen what this guy can do with midgrade DTs, now he's got two of the best lined up right next door.
    Wow!

Tyrell Johnson A-
    I was shocked at the pick...for most of a day, thinking we had bigger needs now.
    But after checking out the videos, numbers, etc, I am stoked.
    This guy will scare enemy STs in year 1.
    From a deep S spot, he flys like a bazooka rocket straight at whoever has the ball and usually, blows them up in a similar fation.
    Madieu has had some injuries in the past and Sharper isn't getting any younger, so this pick will likely show its value sooner than later.

John David Booty A
    Good value and fit and ready enough to provide depth this year.
    Also, seemingly, a good fit on the old "character and family standpoint."
    Hopefully, TJack is healthy and hitting Berrian early and often to loosen up stacked Ds so we can eat up the rest of the clock with our dominant running game.
    But, there's a reasonable chance, at some point, we'll need depth at QB, and the options look a lot better.

LeTroy Guion
    *incomplete*
    Risk/reward type I guess.
    I did want depth there, but wouldn't have minded Nicks at OT.
    This guy does look to have the size and agility to add some more strength to his frame, and we have some good guys there to inspire and teach him.

John Sullivan
    A
    Smart kid with good size and room to grow.
    Lots of experience in a pro style system.
    A year in our system and he'll be ready to replace Birk.
    Also could most likely play some OG or maybe even OT if needed.

Jaymar Johnson
    A-
    Love the hands in the combine drills...fluid and solid.
    All I've been asking for is a reliable WR.
    Speed, size whatever don't mean pooh if you drop the gol 'darnit ball all the time.
    Kid seems to have the hands and run good routes.
    Plus, he's got return skills.

I question this one as well. We don't need a DT right away so they must think they can mold him into a great player. He is only 20 after all.

Evidently B-Mac's job is safe, but I have to wonder; how many chances will he be given?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast