Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Rate our draft by grade

I include Jared Allen in this draft when I grade it.
    This is another A for the FO.
    The Jared Allen acquisition is a serious difference maker, in the locker room and on the field.
    The players understand that this ownership group is in it to WIN.

Now, the picks:

Tyrell Johnson:
    B+, at first, I was pissed they didn't take Brohm.
    Then, I started reading about this guy, also, checked youtube.com.
    Kid can play some seious ball.
    a tackling machine, has awesome ball skills and is dubbed "the best open field tackler in the entire draft," by Mike Mayock.
    Kiper said, "don't be surprised if Tyrell Johnson is a Pro-Bowl caliber player in 3 years."

John David Booty:
    B, very, very pleased with this pick.
    Kid can manage a game, and dubbed Minnesota as "the ideal situation," while being interviewed by ESPN.
    Great pocket sense, son of a coach, 9-0 record vs. top 25 Teams.
    Remember, Brohm and Booty were identified as the best QB's for a WCO.

Letroy Guion:
    C, cautiously optimistic.
    Thought the Vikes should have gone with Carl Nicks, however, it became clear they are not moving Cook when they picked Sullivan.
    Upon further research, Guion, under the tutilage of the Pro-Bowl Williams brothers, makes sense.
    HUGE upside, raw, needs to be taught.

John Sullivan:
    A, sorry, this was a great pick.
    I love Matt Birk, admire him as a player and as a person...but, this was a very smart pick.
    Great value, SCOUT Magazine dubbed him as "the best in 5 years," at the Center position.
    Calls the defense, can pull, has a passion for the game, played under Charley Weis, albeit on a shitty team.
    He is the second coming of Matt Birk IMO...the Pro-Bowl Center tradition continues.

Jaymar Johnson:
    C, props for pulling the trigger.
    Jaymar's film is extremely impressive.
    Very quick, scary quick.
    Reminds me of Terry Glenn, in that he goes airborn too much...jumps to catch.
    He was an appropriate pick, and a possible successor to Bobby Wade in the slot - if he develops.
    He looks like a player to me.

You may call these purple jaded glasses, but I think the FO is hitting on all cylinders.
    To me, an impressive strategy playing out before our eyes.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

With the picks we had, you might be able to argue that we did ok.
    But it was one of the dullest drafts for the Vikings that I can remember.
    Jared Allen was our draft this year.
    If you take him out of the picture and look at how much our draft is going to help our team,
    I would put us in the C category.

I would not be surprised if only 2 of these picks actually make the team.
    Tyrell Johnson and Booty. At rounds 5-7, if even 2 of them make the team (booty, jaymar, sullivan, or guion),
    I would say they made good picks.
    Doubt Sullivan will make it as Marrdro has already convinced me that Mozes is the man to replace Birk.
    Guion does not seem to fit the Vikings mold at all from a personality standpoint and Jaymar I know nothing about.

Again, outside of Johnson, all we had were 5-7 round picks, how much impact are you really expecting for these picks.

Very ho-hum draft.
    Spin it any way you want, but pretty damned dull in my book.
    The team is still looking good and I'm excited to start the year, but not expecting to see a whole lot of impact from the 2008 draft.
    Just keep footnoting to myself that Allen really was our draft this year.

nareg is offline Rookie

our draft to me was very interesting cause for one i thought we gave to many draft picks for Allen, but after seeing what jaguars gave to get the 8th pick to get Harvey convinced me that we had the best move of the Summer then the safety pick at first surprised me but then i was sold on it !!!
    the Dt i dont know much about, Booty can win good pick up, the wide out im not sure about but once again cant judge a book by its cover after all i give our draft a B+ with the allen trade included

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"tastywaves" wrote:
    If you take him out of the picture and look at how much our draft is going to help our team,

Tyrell Johnson and Booty. At rounds 5-7, if even 2 of them make the team (booty, jaymar, sullivan, or guion),

Doubt Sullivan will make it as Marrdro has already convinced me that Mozes is the man to replace Birk.
    Guion does not seem to fit the Vikings mold at all from a personality standpoint and Jaymar I know nothing about.

Again, outside of Johnson, all we had were 5-7 round picks, how much impact are you really expecting for these picks.

Very ho-hum draft.
    The team is still looking good and I'm excited to start the year, but not expecting to see a whole lot of impact from the 2008 draft.
    no one said it was gonna be flashy, most of the people on here knew it was gonna be dull and just got BPA or draft the players for depth, like i said before, this draft COULD be the future with some of out stars getting older, we could have their replacements here

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

A = Perfect
    C = Average
    F = Makes me cry inside

Tyrell Johnson _ B +
    _ Looks like the BPA pick here and solves an important issue of Sharper's replacement and depth. Fits the system.
    I would like to see him get some playing time as the nickel corner this year (I read somewhere that he could transition to corner).
    I imagine he would be good at jamming the slot and playing the run.
    I still miss Greg Blue.
    Note:
    Childress said Tyrell was the highest AVAILABLE safety not their highest ranked overall.

John David Booty _ B+ _ Once again great value for where he was taken.
    I like Flacco (I like tall QBs, all the Superbowl winning QBs have been 6'4" or taller since the miracle grocery bagger in 2000) but he obviously wasn't an option.
    Again, a player that fits the system and is the best option to come in and compete next year, if needed, while we are still in our window for contention. Future franchise backup otherwise.

Letroy Guion _ D- _ Not understanding the logic here. He is a not a nose tackle so hes not Pat's future replacement.
    We already got Evans to do what Guion does.
    [s]Would have been nice to get some O-Line depth here, not saying there was O-line value here, just that it would have been nice.[/s]
    Carl Nicks would have been a nice hit or miss prospect here.

John Sullivan _ C+ _ Seems like the right decision here.
    Not good not bad.

Jaymar Johnson_ C _ Probably won't make the team but hes worth a shot.

I weighted the grades considering where they were picked i.e. T Johnsons B+ is more important then Jaymar Johnson's C

Grade w/out Allen trade = B-

Grade considering Allen trade = A- .

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:

Very ho-hum draft.
    no one said it was gonna be flashy, most of the people on here knew it was gonna be dull and just got BPA or draft the players for depth, like i said before, this draft COULD be the future with some of out stars getting older, we could have their replacements here
    I would judge the quality of these picks by whether they make the team this year.
    Future stars is way too far into dreamland for me.
    If it happens great, but I'm not going to be expecting it.

I'm not knocking the picks they made as much as what the expectations should be for this year's draft in helping this team out.
    This year's draft was Jared Allen and Tyrell, the rest are going to compete to make the team.

Last year we drafted 8 guys and 6 of them made the team.
    AD, Rice, Macauley, Robison, Allison, and Rufus (albeit IR).
    5 of them made nice contributions, I would be surprised if this year's class comes anywhere close even when including Allen.
    Put AD and Allen as a push then compare the rest.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

"skum" wrote:
    Include Jared Allen in the consideration and this is atleat an A
    i was thinking the same thing..
    add Allen and this is an A.
    Booty and Allen give our draft worth it.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:

Very ho-hum draft.
    I would judge the quality of these picks by whether they make the team this year.
    Future stars is way too far into dreamland for me.
    If it happens great, but I'm not going to be expecting it.

I'm not knocking the picks they made as much as what the expectations should be for this year's draft in helping this team out.
    This year's draft was Jared Allen and Tyrell, the rest are going to compete to make the team.

Last year we drafted 8 guys and 6 of them made the team.
    AD, Rice, Macauley, Robison, Allison, and Rufus (albeit IR).
    5 of them made nice contributions, I would be surprised if this year's class comes anywhere close even when including Allen.

Put AD and Allen as a push then compare the rest.
    you cannot compare the two drafts that is ludacrous. 1. We had less picks and 2. We had the 17th overall not the 7th overall, so we are not gonna get as much talent as we did they year before, but with what picks we took, minus the DT, i liked the picks, and i dont have a problem with them

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    I gave it a C- because I think we wasted picks on trades over the weekend.
    This year's draft compared to last year's draft was night and day.

T. Johnson: B+

The only reason this isn't an A is because I don't think we should have given up a 4th for him when there was a good chance we could have got him just a few picks later.
    If not, we would have still had a lot of good players to choose from there.

JDB: C-

"Baby Hands" Booty is a 2nd stringer in college and a 3rd stringer in the NFL.
    Hope he turns out to be a steal, but I liked Johnson and even Ryan O'Hara better than him.

Letroy Guion: D-

A backup with character issues at a position that was not really a need this year.
    Waste of a pick IMO.

John Sullivan: C+

I like the fact that we got a center, but he was the leader of an offensive line that gave up 58 sacks last season!
    Why wouldn't we get Steve Justice (who was still available)?
    He was clearly the second best C in the draft.

Jaymar Johnson: C

Sounds like Chandler Williams all over again.
    Won't beat out AA or Fergy, so what is the point?
    We could have got Brian Johnston >

Luckily we used 3 of our draft picks to get Jared Allen, making this draft grade really an A, but I think that we did a poor job of utilizing our remaining picks this year.
    Hopefully I am wrong and they all turn out to be Pro-Bowlers, but today I am not thrilled.
    I'm not too excited by this draft, either (for pretty much the same reasons you gave).
    I gave the draft a C+, though, not a C-.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

PackOne is offline Rookie

Considering you guys drafted Booty, I give you an A for Allen and good thing you got rid of the picks. It could have been much worse.

PackOne

Real good draft picks can be seen on video here.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast