Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re:Raiders Interested in Rosenfels?

Mr Anderson wrote:
    As nice as it is to upgrade talent at any time, a CB as great as him in our system is a bit wasteful, especially with his contract.

Right now he's getting paid to take away half of the field in Oakland, we'd be paying him to take away LoS to 15 yards, funnel receivers inside, and make tackles. That's not worth $15 million a year.

If we could restructure that deal, and make it long term, it would be worth it. Hopefully we'll be out of the tampa-2 in the next few years, then we could use an amazing cornerback effectively.
    I normally like your posts, but I have to disagree on this one, Mr. Anderson.

Don't you think they will adjust the scheme to Nnamdi Asomugha? I can only imagine huge improvements on the defense with the addition of a player like Asomugha.

From what I've seen. the Raiders' cover defense is almost the complete opposite to the Vikings defense. Typically, the Raiders run a basic cover-one man scheme with one free safety deep who usually is the last line of defense and the only player with regularly zone-cover assignment. The strong safety often plays closer to the line of scrimmage and has man-coverage on the tight end. The cornerbacks are locked in man coverage with the receivers and have a big responsibility.

The Vikings, on the other hand, typically use two deep safeties and like to use various zone-coverages much more. This scheme makes the job easier for the cornerbacks as they usually will get help from other teammates or don't have to run with their man the whole time.

Both the fans of the Raiders and the Vikings have expressed discontent to their teams defensive schemes. Raiders fans say that their defense is too simple and can't be effective in modern football. Vikings fans say that their defense is too conservative and "vanilla".

With the presence of a great cover guy like Asomugha, the Vikings can focus less on the number one receiver and instead use one of the safeties more like a strong safety. He can then concentrate more on other offensive treats like the tight end who often put on big numbers against the Vikings defense.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

HEY wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    As nice as it is to upgrade talent at any time, a CB as great as him in our system is a bit wasteful, especially with his contract.

Right now he's getting paid to take away half of the field in Oakland, we'd be paying him to take away LoS to 15 yards, funnel receivers inside, and make tackles. That's not worth $15 million a year.

If we could restructure that deal, and make it long term, it would be worth it. Hopefully we'll be out of the tampa-2 in the next few years, then we could use an amazing cornerback effectively.

Don't you think they will adjust the scheme to Nnamdi Asomugha? I can only imagine huge improvements on the defense with the addition of a player like Asomugha.

From what I've seen. the Raiders' cover defense is almost the complete opposite to the Vikings defense. Typically, the Raiders run a basic cover-one man scheme with one free safety deep who usually is the last line of defense and the only player with regularly zone-cover assignment. The strong safety often plays closer to the line of scrimmage and has man-coverage on the tight end. The cornerbacks are locked in man coverage with the receivers and have a big responsibility.

The Vikings, on the other hand, typically use two deep safeties and like to use various zone-coverages much more. This scheme makes the job easier for the cornerbacks as they usually will get help from other teammates or don't have to run with their man the whole time.

Both the fans of the Raiders and the Vikings have expressed discontent to their teams defensive schemes. Raiders fans say that their defense is too simple and can't be effective in modern football. Vikings fans say that their defense is too conservative and "vanilla".

With the presence of a great cover guy like Asomugha, the Vikings can focus less on the number one receiver and instead use one of the safeties more like a strong safety. He can then concentrate more on other offensive treats like the tight end who often put on big numbers against the Vikings defense.
    Can you say safety Blitz! How disruptive would that be?

Just the flexibility that would add...

Regardless of the financial implications Nnambdi would be a great asset, who I have to believe would play his butt off to help make the Vikings better.

Nnambdi would be one of those bold moves that shows the Teams commitment to win now.

I really don't think the money is that big a deal with the salaries that should go away in next three years. Especially if they worked out a reasonable long term deal, which would show you just how much Nnambdi wants to get out of Oakland.

It is nice to dream.
    None

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

HEY wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting Asomugha, if we can restructure that ridiculous contract. I think he'd be great in any scheme, but I don't think any corner in this system deserves that kind of money.

I don't think we could change the system to fit his strengths. All Greenway, Johnson, Griffin, and Brinkley know as pros are the tampa 2. I think they're talented and smart enough to learn a new system without slow learning curve, but I think our coaching staff is too conservative to make a change. We're not going to throw away all of their progress to get the most out of one new guy. As much as I'd like to see us playing more strict man-coverage with our LBs and corners, it's an unrealistic expectation. But I really believe Frazier could pull it off.He's coached under some really bright defensive coordinators before becoming one himself: Jim Johnson, Marvin Lewis, Tony Dungy. The dude knows a LOT of defenses. And we've moved away from being as strict of a tampa 2 team as we've been in the past. If we were to get Asomugha, I doubt he could make a major overhaul, but he should have carte blanche with the defense, considering his success and Childress' lack of defensive experience. I'd like to see us in a pretty ordinary 4-3, man converage defense. We have the athletes at the second level to do it, I'm confident that Greenway and Leber can stick to most tight ends, just don't force them to play zone, giving them more to think about.

Imagine the defense we could have, if we used our 1st rounder on Mays, and managed to get Asomugha as well. That's a crazy defense.

As far as the Raiders defense goes, I don't think the simplistic coverage is their problem, they just don't get any pressure. If they mixed it up in the front 7, showed some different looks and exotic blitzes their defense could be really strong IMO.

So basically, I'd love to get Asomugha and change up our coverages, and I think Frazier is more than capable of implementing the change, but I do not think he has the authority to make that big of a change without Childress' consent, who I believe to be too conservative to allow it.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Mr Anderson wrote:
    As far as the Raiders defense goes, I don't think the simplistic coverage is their problem, they just don't get any pressure. If they mixed it up in the front 7, showed some different looks and exotic blitzes their defense could be really strong IMO.
    True, it's a fact that man-coverage will quickly break down without a good pass rush. That's why I also think the Vikings will benefit from using more man-to-man assignments. I hate seeing the quarterbacks needle the ball in between the zones every week.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

HEY wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    True, it's a fact that man-coverage will quickly break down without a good pass rush. That's why I also think the Vikings will benefit from using more man-to-man assignments. I hate seeing the quarterbacks needle the ball in between the zones every week.
    Ditto! This defense really needs to have that extra trick in their bag for when they play teams that start to pick us apart.

Being able to change it up a little is important to keep the offense thinking. And having a lock down CB like Nnambdi is a luxury few teams have.
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

What a interesting turn of events. So many possible implications here for one to chew on.

a. Sage Leaves. This was Spielmans boy from the beginning (not just here at the Vikes).

Possible fallout:
    A) TJ is the backup to the Noodle and eventual starter.
    B) Dnabb is coming and they want to shed themselves of this $$ so they can spend it on Dnabb.
    C) Still proves Ole Ricky Boy can't pick QB's.

b. Sage Stays.

Well, I'm not even gonna waste my time cause this just proves that all the time he spent sucking up to the Noodle on the sidelines was all for naught and a true indicator that the cat just can't learn anything other than to the level to stay a backup.

On a side not, if the Raiders say no, does that mean that Sage is even worse than what they have? WOW. hmy:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Vikings backup quarterback Sage Rosenfels
    Poor Sage. In a sick sort of fashion, you gotta feel for him.

Don't get me wrong, not to the point I want to keep him, but still......

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    b. Sage Stays.

On a side not, if the Raiders say no, does that mean that Sage is even worse than what they have? WOW. hmy:
    Then again the Raiders thinking they have better QBs than sage doesn't prove anything. With an owner like Al 'Zeimer' Davies running the show in Oakland then any decision made is open to question. :laugh:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

AngloVike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    b. Sage Stays.

Then again the Raiders thinking they have better QBs than sage doesn't prove anything. With an owner like Al 'Zeimer' Davies running the show in Oakland then any decision made is open to question. :laugh:
    Good point. I keep forgetting that Ole Crazy Al used to be a good GM/Owner.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast