Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Racism in the NFL

who was that annoucer on tv who said something about mcnabb being black and then he got fired?
    We're bringing purple back.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"gregair13" wrote:
    who was that annoucer on tv who said something about mcnabb being black and then he got fired?
    None other than that old right wing nut, Rush Limbaugh!!!

What a PUTZ!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Did someone drag that tired excuse out again recently due to the coaches hired? Figures.

Caine

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    they just want to make a stink cause there isn't a lot of black coaches, the color of your skin don't make you good at something; it's up to the teams to pick their coaches based on how they think they will do. romeo crennell and lovie smith and the guy from cinci got hired over white guys and other black guys so who cares? maybe some media types are trying to turn the nfl into the nba?
    I am not exactly sure what you meant by saying media types are trying to turn the nfl into the nba. Do you mind giving some clarification?

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Cajun - he may have been a right winger but doesn't make him a nut. He has some good ideas but made a bad comment. He should never have been there to begin with he is not a football commentator, he is a politcal analyst.

If you want to talk about nuts which apparently you do; a liberal democrat a. k. a. independent is nuts!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

YES RACISM DOES EXIST. But lets dig a little DEEPER.
    I think one of the biggest issues is familiarity, The people that do the hiring aren't familiar with the black candidates.
    As a result, the same pool of head coaches is recycled. Yet the recycling process seems to color code as well. The NFL's first black head coach, Art Shell, has never been offered another head coaching position since his run with the Oakland Raiders from 1989-1994, where he had a 56-41 record and three playoff appearances.
    How does the college coaching game work anyway? For almost ever the route to college coaching is: Player, graduate, get on at some school as a graduate assistant maybe for two/three years, get hired as a fulltime assistant, become a defensive or offensive coordinator, hope your team wins enough to gain attention, then get on the "short lists" as a head coaching prospect, gain lots of luck. Very, very, very few ever make the transition from high school to college. The college/nfl coaching community is a fairly closed one. Even within itself few move up. You rarely see a Division III head coach move to I-AA or I-A.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

but a critical question is "why aren't people with the power to hire familiar with black, vietnameses, or mexican coaches?"

If you're looking to understand the essential importance--or the utter insignificance-- of race, then you have to examine this pipeline process that GA vike spelled out here.

I can say that at my Division I-A school someone close to the hiring process for the football program explained that two different black candidates were not hired as position coaches because, for one, there was concern about the person's work ethic, and for the other, there was anxiety that the person didn't have the right vision needed for the job.

These are color blind comments. Does this mean that race is completely irrelevant? it's impossible to say; we would have to know what the hiring committee didn't articulate, what their thinking was behind the seemingly innoccuous and acceptable justification was. In a court of law, we'd have to show that racism is at play because the hiring committee intended to deny the job based on judgements of the candidate's ability due to their race or somesuch ascribed identity. In our litigious society, only a complete numbskull in this situation would actually admit that race affected their decision making. So, we can't prove racism is at work here....but then again, we can't prove that it's not, either.

Jim crow era, Strom Thurmond-style overt racism is a rare occurrence these days. It doesn't mean racism is nearly extinct, it just means it's harder to trace.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Cajun - he may have been a right winger but doesn't make him a nut. He has some good ideas but made a bad comment. He should never have been there to begin with he is not a football commentator, he is a politcal analyst.

If you want to talk about nuts which apparently you do; a liberal democrat a. k. a. independent is nuts!
    Yes, Thumper! Rush IS a nut...not because of his politics necessarily...but because he is an IDIOT! He should know better than to say what he did about McNabb...and his lame excuses regarding his drug problem are just pathetic. He is the worst kind of hypocrite there is...and that is why he is a nut! Right winger and nut are two terms to describe the man...and they are mutually exclusive of each other...he just happens to be both of them!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

yep. politics aside, Rush is your essential nutcase.

And calling him a political analyst is a diservice to political analysis in general.

He's a politician though -- not in the elected official sense, but in the sense that he pedals vitriolic ideas and policies to an extreme end for the purpose of affecting general behavior.

perhaps more appropriately, Limbaugh is a lesser cult of personality, not unlike David Koresh or David Duke.

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

you know what i think is stupid?

that rule where you have to interview a "minority" canidate before you hire a head coach.

it made poor ol' teddy believe he actually had a shot at the head coaching position...

yet the only reason wilf interviewed him was to take care of his quota.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12