Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055

    Racism in the NFL

    I am tired of hearing about racism in the NFL. It does not matter what color you are, if you are qualified, and the team has interest in you, you will be hired. Just because there are 6 head coaches in the NFL that are African American, does not mean they are racist. Enough already, there is not racism in the NFL, if that were the case, there wouldn't even be 1 black head coach... Agree?

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Racism in the NFL

    I haven't really heard a lot of people complaining about racism in the NFl lately. Am I missing something?

    But more to the point, no, I don't think racism is any more prevalent in the NFL than it is anywhere else.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    444

    Re: Racism in the NFL

    The proportion of black head coaches is definitely uneven compared to the number of black football players in the league, but that situation has not necessarily been caused by racism. Moreover, no one can glance at statistics and be certain that racial discrimination is or is not the cause of the observed patterns.

    Fact is, racial discrimination is a crime and the laws that proscribe it are enforced much more today that they have 40 years ago. As a result, discrimination, racism, etc., is much more covert or people practice it with anonymity.

    That said, one must acknowledge that racism is insidious. To say that there is no racism in the NFL though is wronheaded and I'm sure there are many player, coaches, and personnel who would disagree and share life experiences with you to illustrate the point.

  4. #4
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055

    Re: Racism in the NFL

    "ColoradoVike" wrote:
    racism is insidious; the proportion of black head coaches is definitely uneven compared to the number of black football players in the league, but that situation has not necessarily been caused by racism. Moreover, no one can glance at statistics and be certain that racial discrimination is or is not the cause of the observed patterns.

    Fact is, racial discrimination is a crime and the laws that proscribe it are enforced much more today that they have 40 years ago. As a result, discrimination, racism, etc., is much more covert or people practice it with anonymity.

    To say that there is no racism in the NFL though is wronheaded and I'm sure there are many player, coaches, and personnel who would disagree and share life experiences with you to illustrate the point.
    True, that probably is the case, but then yoy would have to say that there are probably more black players in the league than white, so does that mean the NFL is racist towards white football players? I don't agree with all of this...

  5. #5
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Racism in the NFL

    Yes, racism exists!

    There is only one white RB (Alstott) in the NFL that gets any significant attention and only a handful of white WRs (Looker, Jurevicius, Matt Jones, Chrebet) that get any significant touches!!! WTF??? I think that this insidious pattern of abuse starts in high school where young white men are unfairly stereotyped as slow, lacking in hops, and can't dance worth crap (useful in end zone celebrations)...this is a travesty that is further promulgated in the college ranks. We must overcome this tyranny!!!


    *tongue taken out of cheek* :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  6. #6
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055

    Re: Racism in the NFL

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Yes, racism exists!

    There is only one white RB (Alstott) in the NFL that gets any significant attention and only a handful of white WRs (Looker, Jurevicius, Matt Jones, Chrebet) that get any significant touches!!! WTF??? I think that this insidious pattern of abuse starts in high school where young white men are unfairly stereotyped as slow, lacking in hops, and can't dance worth crap (useful in end zone celebrations)...this is a travesty that is further promulgated in the college ranks. We must overcome this tyranny!!!


    *tongue taken out of cheek* :lol:

    LOL, that is funny, you need to be black to have rythm for TD celebrations. I just think everyone needs to stop with this racism crap. Can't we all just get along?

  7. #7
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Racism in the NFL

    First, good post ColoradoVike. It is very important to note that any correlations we derive from past and present statistics do not imply any causation. All we can say in definite is that there are, in fact, more white coaches than any other ethnic group. There are many reasons that may have contributed to this, including everything from racism to cultural interest to simple chance.

    Vikesfan, it is hard to say that the NFL is racist toward white football players because racism is defined at a social level, and it is dependant on the majority ethnicity of the people with the power in the social level. Basically (very basically), racism happens when the people with the power discriminate against a particular ethnic group because of their ethnicity. Because the power structure in the NFL ownership and coaches is primarily white, racism against white football players is kind of an oxymoron.

    This isn't to say that prejudices don't exist against white football players, or black coaches, or Asian hockey players, etc... Prejudice is an individual characteristic, and it is prevalent in every sex, ethnic group, social status, and religion. I am sure that some coach somewhere has believed that Player X is not as good of a player as Player Y because X is white and Y is black. But I doubt that it is a issue of concern NFL wide.

    (Before someone brings it up… yes, some people do refer to something called ‘Reverse Racism’, but that is really a misnomer. What people are normally referring to is an illegal act of discrimination against a white person by a minority. It does happen, it is wrong, and it is serious. But it doesn’t fit the criteria for racism. It is better labeled discrimination.)
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #8
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Racism in the NFL

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    *tongue taken out of cheek* :lol:
    :grin: lol
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #9
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055

    Re: Racism in the NFL

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    First, good post ColoradoVike. It is very important to note that any correlations we derive from past and present statistics do not imply any causation. All we can say in definite is that there are, in fact, more white coaches than any other ethnic group. There are many reasons that may have contributed to this, including everything from racism to cultural interest to simple chance.

    Vikesfan, it is hard to say that the NFL is racist toward white football players because racism is defined at a social level, and it is dependant on the majority ethnicity of the people with the power in the social level. Basically (very basically), racism happens when the people with the power discriminate against a particular ethnic group because of their ethnicity. Because the power structure in the NFL ownership and coaches is primarily white, racism against white football players is kind of an oxymoron.


    Very well put, I agree, but if you read alot of these articles, that is all they are saying. That there was 10 head coaching vacancies this year, and not one minority got hired. It is all just crap, I am sure there are racism issues in the NFL, but it is not how they are portraying it...

    This isn't to say that prejudices don't exist against white football players, or black coaches, or Asian hockey players, etc... Prejudice is an individual characteristic, and it is prevalent in every sex, ethnic group, social status, and religion. I am sure that some coach somewhere has believed that Player X is not as good of a player as Player Y because X is white and Y is black. But I doubt that it is a issue of concern NFL wide.

    (Before someone brings it up… yes, some people do refer to something called ‘Reverse Racism’, but that is really a misnomer. What people are normally referring to is an illegal act of discrimination against a white person by a minority. It does happen, it is wrong, and it is serious. But it doesn’t fit the criteria for racism. It is better labeled discrimination.)

  10. #10
    collegeguyjeff's Avatar
    collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,304

    Re: Racism in the NFL

    they just want to make a stink cause there isn't a lot of black coaches, the color of your skin don't make you good at something; it's up to the teams to pick their coaches based on how they think they will do. romeo crennell and lovie smith and the guy from cinci got hired over white guys and other black guys so who cares? maybe some media types are trying to turn the nfl into the nba?
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •