Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quinn to Bucs?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Quinn to Bucs?

"Mr" wrote:
    I would honestly rather have Wilf make the call if CJ is still on the board, or if we're in a position to move up and get him. He might not have the same football knowledge as Childress, but as we've heard Childress doesn't take WRs in the first round, and passing up on this guy would be completely wrong, so I say if it means Calvin Johnson or No Calvin Johnson let Zygi pull the trigger, but if CJ is off the board it's all Chilly.
    Childress never said that he would definitely not take a WR in the first round.
    He did say that he generally doesn't take WRs though.
    Don't read too much into it.
    Here is his exact quote:

"It's just a difficult position to come into as a rookie and make a big impact," said Minnesota first-year head coach Brad Childress. "I don't think people outside the game appreciate the difficulty involved. I mean, you can talk about the speed of the game, and how different it is, but there are a lot of other things that contribute to the problems players have at the position. It's a very steep learning curve, and it takes some guys a year or two to overcome it. It's a very short list of guys who come in and make an immediate difference at the position."
    I think it is a pretty safe bet to say that CJ is on that short list, and Childress knows it too.
    If we are in a position to take CJ without redoing the Herschel Walker trade, Childress will do it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I am not so sure that Tampa goes offense in the 1st round of the draft, they have gone offense the last 3 drafts in the 1st round and they need to shore up their D-line and they are probably going to let go of Simeon Rice this off season so I would not be surprised if they go DE.

I see them going Gaines Adams or trading down and going Jammal Anderson.

They will get Chris Simms back from injury and they have Grobowski (even tho he fell off late in the season) so I don't see them going QB.

I don't see them going WR in the 1st round even with Calvin Johnson there at the 4th pick, the Bucs have taken 2 WR in the 1st to 3rd rounds over the last 3 drafts and i don't see them giving Johnson the kind of money he will want and they still have Joey Galloway.

1st round Davin Joseph Guard
    2nd round Jeremy Trueblood O-tackle
    3rd Maurcie Stovall WR

1st round Cadillac Williams RB

1st round Michael Clayton WR
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

kyleo1967 is offline Starter

Living in Tampa I thought I should thow my 2 cents in;

All the talk down he is that Grudens job is on the line, he has to improve this year or he is out.
    That being said the thinking down here is that he needs player that can help his team right now.
    The biggest needs are OT, DE and WR.
    A qb would take a year at least before he could help that team.
    Top of the Bucs wish list Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson.
    At least that's the rumblings on the local airwaves down here.

Purplemania is offline Asst. Coach

I kind of agree with WhackthePack. Galloway and Clayton has been a nice 1-2 combo for them. Joey still has at least 2 more years left in him. They'd be wise to upgrade that aging defense.

And also on the Childress comment about WR in the 1st....I take that as the worst smokescreen ever.
    Because I'm a Vikings fan, they are that much sexier.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Childress said he usually doesn't take a WR in the 1st round well he has only had one draft so he hasn't usually taken one because he only has a track record of 1 year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12