singersp is offline PPO Newshound

QB wanted, will train

[size=18px]QB wanted, will train[/size]

Vanderbilt's Cutler, Clemson's Whitehurst get looks as potential draftees

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

With a three-day veteran minicamp behind the Vikings, coach Brad Childress and his staff on Monday turned their attention to the April 29-30 NFL draft.

Linebacker is considered the top draft priority, but the Vikings also are looking for a young quarterback to develop behind starter Brad Johnson. At least two candidates are among the players set to visit Winter Park this week.

Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler is scheduled to visit today to meet with coaches and personnel officials. Cutler is considered one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft, along with Southern California's Matt Leinart and Texas' Vince Young,

Clemson quarterback Charlie Whitehurst is set to fly this afternoon to Minnesota for a visit on Wednesday.

Cutler already has visited three times with the Tennessee Titans, who own the third selection in the draft. He is scheduled to meet Sunday in Nashville with the New York Jets, who pick fourth.

The Vikings aren't scheduled to pick until 17th, but Childress has mentioned the possibility of trading up in the first round.

A three-year starter at Vanderbilt, Cutler passed for 3,073 yards and 21 touchdowns as a senior. He is considered a probable top 12 selection, although he could drop lower.

He also is scheduled to visit Detroit (ninth pick) and St. Louis (11th).

Whitehurst, a four-year starter at Clemson, is projected as a second- or third-round draft choice, but he has good NFL bloodlines as the son of former Green Bay quarterback David Whitehurst.

David Whitehurst said his son would look forward to the opportunity to watch and learn the game from a veteran like Johnson.

"He has met Brad before and talked to him a good long time," David Whitehurst said. "I've watched Brad his whole career. He's a stand-up guy and has had a great career in the NFL. I think it would be a great opportunity for Charlie."

The Jets are scheduled to pay Whitehurst a visit next week, but David Whitehurst said he had no real feel for where his son might be drafted.

He does think Charlie would be a good fit in Childress' West Coast offense.

"His sophomore year, they threw the ball down the field all the time," David Whitehurst said. "He was in the shotgun almost exclusively. But would the West Coast offense suit him? Absolutely. He can play in any offense, as long as you're not looking for him to be Michael Vick. Running is not his forte, but he throws the ball down the field pretty well."

David Whitehurst said he would have no problem having his son drafted by the Vikings, even though he played seven seasons for Green Bay (1977-83) before finishing his NFL career in 1984 with Kansas City.

"Not at all," he said. "I love the division. My first choice would be the Green Bay Packers, but I'd be fine with him in Minnesota. Charlie loves to fish, and I know there are a lot of places to do that there."

First visits: With the free-agent Chester Taylor signing with the Vikings, running back is no longer a draft priority, but the University of Minnesota's Laurence Maroney was one of four draft-eligible players to visit Monday at Winter Park.

Besides Maroney, projected as a late first-round selection, the Vikings played host to Jon Alston, a speedy outside linebacker from Stanford; Owen Daniels, a pass-catching tight end from Wisconsin; and DeMario Minter, a cornerback from Georgia.

All are projected to go in the third round or lower.

The Vikings confirmed Monday's visits, but Childress and other team officials would not comment on them.

Good first impression: Johnson was excused from the final day of the minicamp because of an undisclosed personal issue, but Childress apparently liked what he saw of his starting quarterback during the first four practices.

"He did a good job from the standpoint that he has been in this system before," Childress said. "He understands more about it than maybe anybody except Mike McMahon, so it's not foreign to him. It's not like learning a foreign language. Even though some of the terminology is slightly different, he has an idea about the big scheme of things, so he did a good job."

Name game: Darren Sharper has spent almost all of his nine NFL seasons at free safety, but he said at the end of the weekend minicamp that he technically would be a strong safety in the Vikings' new defense, lining up closer to the line of scrimmage on the tight end side.

Briefly: Among the other players scheduled to visit the Vikings is Northwestern defensive lineman Barry Cofield, who is projected as a second-day draft choice in the fourth round or lower.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

QB wanted, will train

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: QB wanted, will train

Sounds like will be going after that 3rd rounder whitehurst not what I want the vikings to do. Anyways why would we get a LB when we've spent 3 years drafting a LB in the 2nd round. D. Thomas, EJ Henderson, Raonall Smith who is not with the team but they have Ben Leber also. Plus your QB is the one that leads the offense. like last year we had a bad QB in culpepper so we lost most of the 7 games we played. What I'm trying to say is LBs don't win games for your team it isn't a primary choice to pick in the draft.

Formerly Viking24

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

After AJ Hawk is there another star to be LB in the first round anyway?
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ViKing24" wrote:
    Sounds like will be going after that 3rd rounder whitehurst not what I want the vikings to do. Anyways why would we get a LB when we've spent 3 years drafting a LB in the 2nd round. D. Thomas, EJ Henderson, Raonall Smith who is not with the team but they have Ben Leber also. Plus your QB is the one that leads the offense. like last year we had a bad QB in culpepper so we lost most of the 7 games we played. What I'm trying to say is LBs don't win games for your team it isn't a primary choice to pick in the draft.
    What do you propose as our position of weakness? Most analysts and experts are still pointing at our LBs as the weak spot...maybe our young vets can get the job done, but if there is a rookie out there who is an upgrade, then you definitely have to consider drafting him...we are not weak on the DL or in the secondary, so LB is the position of need on Defense. The only two other options are RB and OL...and even at those spots, we have plenty of potential candidates. I think that the Vikings should look at the best available player at their spot (LB, RB or OT)...UNLESS they trade up for one of the top 3 QBs (really only Leinart or Cutler...I don't like Young). But that's just my opinion.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

sounds good to me

revprodeji is offline Starter

some say sims..i say no, I say D'qwell in the second.

why would sharper move to strong safety when we just signed tank? Conserve the body....play center field
    www.prodeji.mychoices.biz

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Hes still playing FS, but in the Cover 2 his postion is like a SS.I really think all our LB's have been developed wrong. You look at all of our drafted LB's and none have really emerged. Now you could say its crappy on the part of our drafting or our developing. I say Developing. This years class of LB is bye far one of the best in recent years. I see us adding about 2 more LB's to the team.I still think our LB's now are hidden gems and still could be better, but they know and we know we still need to upgrade our LB's.Depth DOES NOT hurt what so ever!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"C-PepNSalt" wrote:

Ernie Sims and the guy out of Iowa. This is supposed to be a pretty deep LB draft from what I've heard.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"C-PepNSalt" wrote:

Greenway before the Combine was projected as the 2nd best Lb in the draft and looked like a top 15 pick, he had a poor combine and dropped like a rock. Ernie Sims on the other hand was not projected to be a 1st round pick (high 2nd rounder), but at the combine he excelled and is a workout beast his stock sky rocketed and he could be a top 15 pick.

I myself have always been more of a fan of how somebody plays as to works out.

This Mock draft was from january

Has the Vikings taking Sims in the 2nd round and Greenway going 11th

http://www.nflfans.com/x/mock4.php?page=2

This mock draft from February

Has Greenway going 20th and Sims going 30th

http://www.nflfans.com/x/mock4.php

This one also from February has GreenWay going 14th and Sims not in the 1st round.

http://therealmockdraft5.blogspot.com/

This is from March 7th Sims to us at (17)

http://www.football.com/draft/2006/lassan_mock_draft.shtml

This is from March 21st and Sims (pick 12) is rising and Greenway (25th pick) is dropping

http://www.gbnreport.com/2006projection.html

March 25th Sims is 14th pick and Greenway is 25th

http://heardsfootballreport.com/mockdraft.html
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.