Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

Re: QB Tavaris Jackson

I can dig that this is Childress' baby, but...if the QB fails, Childress fails, and we still will need a QB.

howkings is offline Rookie

Hey jmarter,

When I referred to best player available I mean what the organization feels is the best player (either by need or athletic skill). I think the Rams worked the board perfectly by trading down with the Broncos in the first round and still getting the player they targeted(Tye Hill). On the other hand, I think the Bills did a poor job in the first round by selecting Donte Whitner at the eighth pick instead of trading to at least the fourteenth pick and getting the same player plus additional picks. I just can't help but think that Cook and Jackson would have been there in the third round.

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

People can compare the "hey, people took a chance on McNabb . . . or Daunte" to Tavaris Jackson all they want, but seriously . . . McNabb and Cpep were still going to go in the first round no matter what that year. Tavaris? He definitely would have still been there when we picked in the 3rd. I don't mind "taking a chance on him" or "Childress knows what he's doing." Just don't take him early, and waste pics!!
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

Yes, time will tell. Still, he would have been there at 3! I can't imagine anyone else picking him before pick 85, which I believe was our next pick. I'm aboard, otherwise. Our new QB coach is supposed to be good, and now we will find out. Jackson is a 2 year project. Next year, we may very well have just missed the ring, and we will have a 40 year old QB, or a career backup, or a 2 year project forced in on one year's experience, leading us. No consolation will be taken by garnering a top draft pick.

jmarter is offline Waterboy

"howkings" wrote:
    Hey jmarter,

When I referred to best player available I mean what the organization feels is the best player (either by need or athletic skill). I think the Rams worked the board perfectly by trading down with the Broncos in the first round and still getting the player they targeted(Tye Hill). On the other hand, I think the Bills did a poor job in the first round by selecting Donte Whitner at the eighth pick instead of trading to at least the fourteenth pick and getting the same player plus additional picks. I just can't help but think that Cook and Jackson would have been there in the third round.
    And they very well may have been. But obviously Viking brass did not feel they would have been. And perhaps rightfully so after seeing all the movement in the 2nd round, with guys moving up to jump on players they really wanted (it only takes one). I truly believe that they went into the draft with goals of filling 4 specific needs, and 5 picks to do so. Some of us may not like this strategy (instead wanting the "best available" strategy), but it appears they stuck to their plan.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

This was a statement pick by childress. He knows that this guy is going to be good in the NFL.. and I trust him. He will eventually be the quarterback for this team..

Personally, I love the pick. I support Tavaris Jackson.

The only GOOD thing I can see from the selections timing is this: the staff must know, this is their career. If they felt strongly enough to do this, it's their job. not mine. I just get to cry alot. I'm used to that. I've been a Viking fan for 36 years.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Wait, is it TAvaris or TARvaris? I'm seeing both...
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

jmarter is offline Waterboy

"HornedHat" wrote:
    The only GOOD thing I can see from the selections timing is this: the staff must know, this is their career. If they felt strongly enough to do this, it's their job. not mine. I just get to cry alot. I'm used to that. I've been a Viking fan for 36 years.
    Ah thirty-six years. A mere 32 or so years of pain for me. :sad:

omahaviking is offline Waterboy

Hi gang!
    Gotta say, I don't know what to think.
    Chad....maybe. But I think we have enough undersized LB's
    Can always use another DB.....but a safety would have been better
    A CENTER? still scratching my head on this
    Giving up 2 third round picks for this QB?
    But I guess that's why we are out here and they are making the picks, huh?
    I'll keep my fingers crossed........but I'm still shaking my head.

Hope you all have a good and safe night

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast