Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 936
  1. #21
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949

    Re: QB stability tops Vikings coaching staff's priority list

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Some notes from all the articles.....



    Everytime I see pooh like this I just marvel at the fans of this team.
    10 wins, division winner, steady improvement and the guy is so short sighted he wants to give up his season tickets cause "He isn't happy".



    Again, not sure why all the gloom and doom from the "Vikings Fans".
    Maybe they aren't as knowledgable about the game as I have thought my whole life.






    Anyway, looks like the lunacy and the Challenged Hillybilly Lovers that are associated with it are upon us my friends.

    :'(

    Yes Marr, we did improve marginally in our record over 3 years. You also have to look at the strength of the league and where our opportunities are. In his first year as a coach the Bears were 13-3 and they went to the SB. Winning the division that year would have been a pretty tough task for any other team in the division and the Bears were dominant enough to make a wild card team an unlikely as a SB rep.

    Last year there were also teams in the NFC who were solid teams. The Cowboys ended up choking though and the Giants made an improbable run, but that is not something you can expect to repeat over time as they proved yesterday.

    This year we had a weak NFC that was very ripe for the picking and the AFC is weaker than it has been in over a decade, maybe longer.
    The number 4 and 6 seeds are playing for the championship in the NFC and in the AFC, there is not team that looks to be unbeatable.

    So while you can sit there and say that a fans view is myopic because they fail to look at a small incremental improvement in win % as a reason for optimism, I actually see that view as myopic because it doesn't take into account the fact that had the staff addressed a few positions last year that everybody except them knew were weak, we could be in the SB this year and have a great shot at winning it.

    So yes, we may be better record wise than last year, but even if we switch QB, C and RT over the summer, we don't know what other team may be on the rise and become a dominant team that can beat us no matter what we have for talent.
    I hear ya My Sexy Little Pixie, however, this staff has taken a very methodic approach to rebuilding this team.
    Could they have gone out and tried to get a Vet at each and every position?
    Probably and I know alot of fans, me included would have been alot happier with that approach, however,.....

    They have gone the long route that mostly focused on plugging rookies in over the last 3 years and only brining in Vets were they thought they needed to and those that they did bring in weren't the old grizzled Vets one would think they would have but rather a predominance of guys coming off thier first contract that in almost all instances took some time to get used to the system.

    Long story short, sure the other teams could in all actuality go out and spend huge dollars and instantly make themselves contenders, but that effort would be short lived.
    The approach this staff has taken appears to be an approach that will keep up competitive for many years to come.

    Add another piece (possibly QB) via FA and 3 or 4 more rooks for depth and you have a gol 'darnit nice (YOUNG) team ready to take the next step.

    Back to my point, I find it amazing that most fans can't see that and would make comments like the one I quoted.
    Again, I really thought our fans were more "Football Smart" than that.

    Key note:
    When I was up at the Iggles game, there was a brochure on each chair.
    In it they were advertising season tickets for $99.00.

    $99.00 Fricken dollars.

    Causes one to wonder doesn't it.
    Hey Marr... i like the offseason approach our team has taken for the most part... but I take issue with you going to bat for our coaching staff... earlier in the offseason, you were spouting fire chilly and all that.. but for a soft closing schedule and an unexpected division crown, now all of a sudden your back on the bandwagon..

    Now don't get me wrong, i do think Chilly deserves another year, however, let's be honest! if not for the "players" we've actually brought in, our team hasn't made much progress, in the scheme's we've been running.. we're still imploding and making silly mistakes that marred us from the beginning...

    I know we need a QB, and that would possibly go a long way to fixing some issues on the team, however, let's be honest!!.. regardless of who we have at any position.. this team is underachieving... yes, they're playing hard, but the fact of the matter is they also play dumb and can't execute the scheme effectively... it's been 3, THREE years, and we've been saying the same thing over and over and over again... give them time!!..

    Well, IMO, he has 1 more year, to prove he can get his players to perform like they are supposed to perform... he's on the hot seat this year... IMO! We have a division crown yes, but the fact remains, this team is not performing up to the level they are capable, and to me that's the most important thing about a coach... can he get his players to perform up to and beyond the level they are capable of!!..

    AND IMO, he hasn't really come close to being able to do that!!!...

  2. #22
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949

    Re: QB stability tops Vikings coaching staff's priority list

    "ragz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Some notes from all the articles.....



    Everytime I see pooh like this I just marvel at the fans of this team.
    10 wins, division winner, steady improvement and the guy is so short sighted he wants to give up his season tickets cause "He isn't happy".



    Again, not sure why all the gloom and doom from the "Vikings Fans".
    Maybe they aren't as knowledgable about the game as I have thought my whole life.






    Anyway, looks like the lunacy and the Challenged Hillybilly Lovers that are associated with it are upon us my friends.

    :'(

    Yes Marr, we did improve marginally in our record over 3 years. You also have to look at the strength of the league and where our opportunities are. In his first year as a coach the Bears were 13-3 and they went to the SB. Winning the division that year would have been a pretty tough task for any other team in the division and the Bears were dominant enough to make a wild card team an unlikely as a SB rep.

    Last year there were also teams in the NFC who were solid teams. The Cowboys ended up choking though and the Giants made an improbable run, but that is not something you can expect to repeat over time as they proved yesterday.

    This year we had a weak NFC that was very ripe for the picking and the AFC is weaker than it has been in over a decade, maybe longer.
    The number 4 and 6 seeds are playing for the championship in the NFC and in the AFC, there is not team that looks to be unbeatable.

    So while you can sit there and say that a fans view is myopic because they fail to look at a small incremental improvement in win % as a reason for optimism, I actually see that view as myopic because it doesn't take into account the fact that had the staff addressed a few positions last year that everybody except them knew were weak, we could be in the SB this year and have a great shot at winning it.

    So yes, we may be better record wise than last year, but even if we switch QB, C and RT over the summer, we don't know what other team may be on the rise and become a dominant team that can beat us no matter what we have for talent.
    I hear ya My Sexy Little Pixie, however, this staff has taken a very methodic approach to rebuilding this team.
    Could they have gone out and tried to get a Vet at each and every position?
    Probably and I know alot of fans, me included would have been alot happier with that approach, however,.....

    They have gone the long route that mostly focused on plugging rookies in over the last 3 years and only brining in Vets were they thought they needed to and those that they did bring in weren't the old grizzled Vets one would think they would have but rather a predominance of guys coming off thier first contract that in almost all instances took some time to get used to the system.

    Long story short, sure the other teams could in all actuality go out and spend huge dollars and instantly make themselves contenders, but that effort would be short lived.
    The approach this staff has taken appears to be an approach that will keep up competitive for many years to come.

    Add another piece (possibly QB) via FA and 3 or 4 more rooks for depth and you have a gol 'darnit nice (YOUNG) team ready to take the next step.

    Back to my point, I find it amazing that most fans can't see that and would make comments like the one I quoted.
    Again, I really thought our fans were more "Football Smart" than that.

    Key note:
    When I was up at the Iggles game, there was a brochure on each chair.
    In it they were advertising season tickets for $99.00.

    $99.00 Fricken dollars.

    Causes one to wonder doesn't it.
    the one thing that i'm sick of though with this whole rebuilding talk is that teams show dramatic improvement over the course of a season, sometimes, like in the cards case, in a several week span.
    we have showed marginal improvement in 3 years.
    now improving enough to make a legitmate run at a super bowl is a different story.
    but squeezing into the playoffs in a poohie division and then losing at home in the first round in year 3 does not strike me as a staff doing a great job.
    again, why does the team have to be perfect for childress to make it better?
    look at all the teams that had great regular seasons, or even the teams that are sitting in the final four.
    they have their faults, some glaring, but the coaches find ways to work around that and utilize what they have to win games.
    to me, when we win i feel like we are just more talented than the teams we beat and have rarely, if ever, won a game cuz we out smarted the other team.
    i was talking to my brother, and i told him that the only way i see us really getting pushed over the top and overcoming a mediocre staff at best is to get a top 5 nfl qb, or just build such dominant fronts on each side of the ball that we can just control the game.
    if we have to continue to have childress have to be smarter than the other coach i can't see us being able to advance very far.

    +1 I feel you!!!... atleast if chilly is gonna be the coach, he'd be well advised to get ppl to coordinate the offense, defense and special teams that are smarter than him... which will make him look alot smarter than he really is... i also share in your opinion and equally in your frustration!!

  3. #23
    ragz's Avatar
    ragz is offline GM
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: QB stability tops Vikings coaching staff's priority list

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Some notes from all the articles.....



    Everytime I see pooh like this I just marvel at the fans of this team.
    10 wins, division winner, steady improvement and the guy is so short sighted he wants to give up his season tickets cause "He isn't happy".



    Again, not sure why all the gloom and doom from the "Vikings Fans".
    Maybe they aren't as knowledgable about the game as I have thought my whole life.






    Anyway, looks like the lunacy and the Challenged Hillybilly Lovers that are associated with it are upon us my friends.

    :'(

    Yes Marr, we did improve marginally in our record over 3 years. You also have to look at the strength of the league and where our opportunities are. In his first year as a coach the Bears were 13-3 and they went to the SB. Winning the division that year would have been a pretty tough task for any other team in the division and the Bears were dominant enough to make a wild card team an unlikely as a SB rep.

    Last year there were also teams in the NFC who were solid teams. The Cowboys ended up choking though and the Giants made an improbable run, but that is not something you can expect to repeat over time as they proved yesterday.

    This year we had a weak NFC that was very ripe for the picking and the AFC is weaker than it has been in over a decade, maybe longer.
    The number 4 and 6 seeds are playing for the championship in the NFC and in the AFC, there is not team that looks to be unbeatable.

    So while you can sit there and say that a fans view is myopic because they fail to look at a small incremental improvement in win % as a reason for optimism, I actually see that view as myopic because it doesn't take into account the fact that had the staff addressed a few positions last year that everybody except them knew were weak, we could be in the SB this year and have a great shot at winning it.

    So yes, we may be better record wise than last year, but even if we switch QB, C and RT over the summer, we don't know what other team may be on the rise and become a dominant team that can beat us no matter what we have for talent.
    I hear ya My Sexy Little Pixie, however, this staff has taken a very methodic approach to rebuilding this team.
    Could they have gone out and tried to get a Vet at each and every position?
    Probably and I know alot of fans, me included would have been alot happier with that approach, however,.....

    They have gone the long route that mostly focused on plugging rookies in over the last 3 years and only brining in Vets were they thought they needed to and those that they did bring in weren't the old grizzled Vets one would think they would have but rather a predominance of guys coming off thier first contract that in almost all instances took some time to get used to the system.

    Long story short, sure the other teams could in all actuality go out and spend huge dollars and instantly make themselves contenders, but that effort would be short lived.
    The approach this staff has taken appears to be an approach that will keep up competitive for many years to come.

    Add another piece (possibly QB) via FA and 3 or 4 more rooks for depth and you have a gol 'darnit nice (YOUNG) team ready to take the next step.

    Back to my point, I find it amazing that most fans can't see that and would make comments like the one I quoted.
    Again, I really thought our fans were more "Football Smart" than that.

    Key note:
    When I was up at the Iggles game, there was a brochure on each chair.
    In it they were advertising season tickets for $99.00.

    $99.00 Fricken dollars.

    Causes one to wonder doesn't it.
    the one thing that i'm sick of though with this whole rebuilding talk is that teams show dramatic improvement over the course of a season, sometimes, like in the cards case, in a several week span.
    we have showed marginal improvement in 3 years.
    now improving enough to make a legitmate run at a super bowl is a different story.
    but squeezing into the playoffs in a poohie division and then losing at home in the first round in year 3 does not strike me as a staff doing a great job.
    again, why does the team have to be perfect for childress to make it better?
    look at all the teams that had great regular seasons, or even the teams that are sitting in the final four.
    they have their faults, some glaring, but the coaches find ways to work around that and utilize what they have to win games.
    to me, when we win i feel like we are just more talented than the teams we beat and have rarely, if ever, won a game cuz we out smarted the other team.
    i was talking to my brother, and i told him that the only way i see us really getting pushed over the top and overcoming a mediocre staff at best is to get a top 5 nfl qb, or just build such dominant fronts on each side of the ball that we can just control the game.
    if we have to continue to have childress have to be smarter than the other coach i can't see us being able to advance very far.

    +1 I feel you!!!... atleast if chilly is gonna be the coach, he'd be well advised to get ppl to coordinate the offense, defense and special teams that are smarter than him... which will make him look alot smarter than he really is... i also share in your opinion and equally in your frustration!!
    exactly, childress just has way too much control for a guy that doesnt appear all that talented in his supposed expertise.
    and then bevell is so much a product of childress that him calling plays is the equivalent of childress.
    its why our offense hasn't looked any different from when childress was calling the plays.
    i mean i would totally have more confidence if we got an offensive cooridinator with a successful track record that would leave childress to be a bit more hands off.
    his fingerprints are all over too much of what we do and that is a detriment to us.
    and as long as he still has such a high regard for himself and his offense, and wilf doesn't force any moves, we just have to keep hoping something clicks somewhere that makes our offense good.
    i dont know if its a light bulb going off in childress's head, tjack just becoming a full blown weapon, or the offensive line becoming dominant.
    but as things lie, the offense will continue to be what it is.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

  4. #24
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: QB stability tops Vikings coaching staff's priority list

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Some notes from all the articles.....

    Featured comment....

    Time for Coach Childress and T-Jack to go!
    It is time for the Zygi to wake up, and fire Coach Childress, and release T-Jack. I will not renew my season tickets until this is done.
    Everytime I see pooh like this I just marvel at the fans of this team.
    10 wins, division winner, steady improvement and the guy is so short sighted he wants to give up his season tickets cause "He isn't happy".

    At one point in my life I actually thought we had some intelligent football fans.
    Now I see why we can't sell out playoff games or our regular season games for that matter.

    Simply Amazing.... :
    I have to agree with you here Marr.
    My love for and support of the Vikings goes beyond any single owner, coach, or player.
    I have season tickets so I can enjoy the Minnesota Vikings, regardless of who is calling the plays, running the ball, or taking snaps.

    This isn't the 0-16 Lions we are talking about.
    We went 10-6 and won the fricken division.
    Do we have some work to do?
    Hell yeah.
    Am I happy that Childress is our coach? Nope.
    Do I want to see some decent OL and QB play. Yup.

    But is any of that enough to cause me to lose faith or stop supporting my team. No freaking way.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #25
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471

    Re: QB stability tops Vikings coaching staff's priority list

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Some notes from all the articles.....



    Everytime I see pooh like this I just marvel at the fans of this team.
    10 wins, division winner, steady improvement and the guy is so short sighted he wants to give up his season tickets cause "He isn't happy".



    Again, not sure why all the gloom and doom from the "Vikings Fans".
    Maybe they aren't as knowledgable about the game as I have thought my whole life.






    Anyway, looks like the lunacy and the Challenged Hillybilly Lovers that are associated with it are upon us my friends.

    :'(

    Yes Marr, we did improve marginally in our record over 3 years. You also have to look at the strength of the league and where our opportunities are. In his first year as a coach the Bears were 13-3 and they went to the SB. Winning the division that year would have been a pretty tough task for any other team in the division and the Bears were dominant enough to make a wild card team an unlikely as a SB rep.

    Last year there were also teams in the NFC who were solid teams. The Cowboys ended up choking though and the Giants made an improbable run, but that is not something you can expect to repeat over time as they proved yesterday.

    This year we had a weak NFC that was very ripe for the picking and the AFC is weaker than it has been in over a decade, maybe longer.
    The number 4 and 6 seeds are playing for the championship in the NFC and in the AFC, there is not team that looks to be unbeatable.

    So while you can sit there and say that a fans view is myopic because they fail to look at a small incremental improvement in win % as a reason for optimism, I actually see that view as myopic because it doesn't take into account the fact that had the staff addressed a few positions last year that everybody except them knew were weak, we could be in the SB this year and have a great shot at winning it.

    So yes, we may be better record wise than last year, but even if we switch QB, C and RT over the summer, we don't know what other team may be on the rise and become a dominant team that can beat us no matter what we have for talent.
    I hear ya My Sexy Little Pixie, however, this staff has taken a very methodic approach to rebuilding this team.
    Could they have gone out and tried to get a Vet at each and every position?
    Probably and I know alot of fans, me included would have been alot happier with that approach, however,.....

    They have gone the long route that mostly focused on plugging rookies in over the last 3 years and only brining in Vets were they thought they needed to and those that they did bring in weren't the old grizzled Vets one would think they would have but rather a predominance of guys coming off thier first contract that in almost all instances took some time to get used to the system.

    Long story short, sure the other teams could in all actuality go out and spend huge dollars and instantly make themselves contenders, but that effort would be short lived.
    The approach this staff has taken appears to be an approach that will keep up competitive for many years to come.

    Add another piece (possibly QB) via FA and 3 or 4 more rooks for depth and you have a gol 'darnit nice (YOUNG) team ready to take the next step.

    Back to my point, I find it amazing that most fans can't see that and would make comments like the one I quoted.
    Again, I really thought our fans were more "Football Smart" than that.

    Key note:
    When I was up at the Iggles game, there was a brochure on each chair.
    In it they were advertising season tickets for $99.00.

    $99.00 Fricken dollars.

    Causes one to wonder doesn't it.
    i agree with most of what you say maardro. especially when it comes to us blaming chilldress for almost everything that has gone wrong up to invading iraq and the stock market failure. i think chilldress has grown into a better coach, however sometimes a coach's loyalty to his staff/friends creates failure. i have seen it here in chicago with lovie smith. he seems to be a good coach, but after going 13-3 on the power of their defense, he fired ron rivera to bring in his buddy babitch. ron was more of a 46 type d coach (as i would guess frazier would be if given free reighn), and lovie is more a tampa/cover 2 type. after the change the defense has gone to hell in a handbasket, but lovie refuses to fire babitch. even after they have hired marinelli. this seems to be the case with childress. he refuses to believe our special teams or offense would be better with a coaching change. that is where i see his biggest weakness now. we have a VERY talented team and we underachieved this season IMO. i sincerely believe he could be more successful if he would make a few coaching changes. just my opinion.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  6. #26
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: QB stability tops Vikings coaching staff's priority list

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    If watching the playoff games isn't enough to drive home the point that the O.L should top the priority list then I am not sure what would. Keeping pressure off of the QB is the most important thing you can do for your team in the playoffs.
    Some yutz has been preaching "Its the OLs fault" for quite some time..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: QB stability tops Vikings coaching staff's priority list

    "ragz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Some notes from all the articles.....



    Everytime I see pooh like this I just marvel at the fans of this team.
    10 wins, division winner, steady improvement and the guy is so short sighted he wants to give up his season tickets cause "He isn't happy".



    Again, not sure why all the gloom and doom from the "Vikings Fans".
    Maybe they aren't as knowledgable about the game as I have thought my whole life.






    Anyway, looks like the lunacy and the Challenged Hillybilly Lovers that are associated with it are upon us my friends.

    :'(

    Yes Marr, we did improve marginally in our record over 3 years. You also have to look at the strength of the league and where our opportunities are. In his first year as a coach the Bears were 13-3 and they went to the SB. Winning the division that year would have been a pretty tough task for any other team in the division and the Bears were dominant enough to make a wild card team an unlikely as a SB rep.

    Last year there were also teams in the NFC who were solid teams. The Cowboys ended up choking though and the Giants made an improbable run, but that is not something you can expect to repeat over time as they proved yesterday.

    This year we had a weak NFC that was very ripe for the picking and the AFC is weaker than it has been in over a decade, maybe longer.
    The number 4 and 6 seeds are playing for the championship in the NFC and in the AFC, there is not team that looks to be unbeatable.

    So while you can sit there and say that a fans view is myopic because they fail to look at a small incremental improvement in win % as a reason for optimism, I actually see that view as myopic because it doesn't take into account the fact that had the staff addressed a few positions last year that everybody except them knew were weak, we could be in the SB this year and have a great shot at winning it.

    So yes, we may be better record wise than last year, but even if we switch QB, C and RT over the summer, we don't know what other team may be on the rise and become a dominant team that can beat us no matter what we have for talent.
    I hear ya My Sexy Little Pixie, however, this staff has taken a very methodic approach to rebuilding this team.
    Could they have gone out and tried to get a Vet at each and every position?
    Probably and I know alot of fans, me included would have been alot happier with that approach, however,.....

    They have gone the long route that mostly focused on plugging rookies in over the last 3 years and only brining in Vets were they thought they needed to and those that they did bring in weren't the old grizzled Vets one would think they would have but rather a predominance of guys coming off thier first contract that in almost all instances took some time to get used to the system.

    Long story short, sure the other teams could in all actuality go out and spend huge dollars and instantly make themselves contenders, but that effort would be short lived.
    The approach this staff has taken appears to be an approach that will keep up competitive for many years to come.

    Add another piece (possibly QB) via FA and 3 or 4 more rooks for depth and you have a gol 'darnit nice (YOUNG) team ready to take the next step.

    Back to my point, I find it amazing that most fans can't see that and would make comments like the one I quoted.
    Again, I really thought our fans were more "Football Smart" than that.

    Key note:
    When I was up at the Iggles game, there was a brochure on each chair.
    In it they were advertising season tickets for $99.00.

    $99.00 Fricken dollars.

    Causes one to wonder doesn't it.
    the one thing that i'm sick of though with this whole rebuilding talk is that teams show dramatic improvement over the course of a season, sometimes, like in the cards case, in a several week span.
    we have showed marginal improvement in 3 years.
    now improving enough to make a legitmate run at a super bowl is a different story.
    but squeezing into the playoffs in a poohie division and then losing at home in the first round in year 3 does not strike me as a staff doing a great job.
    again, why does the team have to be perfect for childress to make it better?
    look at all the teams that had great regular seasons, or even the teams that are sitting in the final four.
    they have their faults, some glaring, but the coaches find ways to work around that and utilize what they have to win games.
    to me, when we win i feel like we are just more talented than the teams we beat and have rarely, if ever, won a game cuz we out smarted the other team.
    i was talking to my brother, and i told him that the only way i see us really getting pushed over the top and overcoming a mediocre staff at best is to get a top 5 nfl qb, or just build such dominant fronts on each side of the ball that we can just control the game.
    if we have to continue to have childress have to be smarter than the other coach i can't see us being able to advance very far.

    If I could get the Chiller to change one thing I would have him revamp the system he uses to get this team ready each and every week.

    On a sadder note, I wonder if he will take the same "New approach" to spring training as he did this year?
    I still say that set us back at least 2 weeks this season and some of the issues they had coming out of spring training translated into most of the games this year.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949

    Re: QB stability tops Vikings coaching staff's priority list

    "marshallvike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Some notes from all the articles.....



    Everytime I see pooh like this I just marvel at the fans of this team.
    10 wins, division winner, steady improvement and the guy is so short sighted he wants to give up his season tickets cause "He isn't happy".



    Again, not sure why all the gloom and doom from the "Vikings Fans".
    Maybe they aren't as knowledgable about the game as I have thought my whole life.






    Anyway, looks like the lunacy and the Challenged Hillybilly Lovers that are associated with it are upon us my friends.

    :'(

    Yes Marr, we did improve marginally in our record over 3 years. You also have to look at the strength of the league and where our opportunities are. In his first year as a coach the Bears were 13-3 and they went to the SB. Winning the division that year would have been a pretty tough task for any other team in the division and the Bears were dominant enough to make a wild card team an unlikely as a SB rep.

    Last year there were also teams in the NFC who were solid teams. The Cowboys ended up choking though and the Giants made an improbable run, but that is not something you can expect to repeat over time as they proved yesterday.

    This year we had a weak NFC that was very ripe for the picking and the AFC is weaker than it has been in over a decade, maybe longer.
    The number 4 and 6 seeds are playing for the championship in the NFC and in the AFC, there is not team that looks to be unbeatable.

    So while you can sit there and say that a fans view is myopic because they fail to look at a small incremental improvement in win % as a reason for optimism, I actually see that view as myopic because it doesn't take into account the fact that had the staff addressed a few positions last year that everybody except them knew were weak, we could be in the SB this year and have a great shot at winning it.

    So yes, we may be better record wise than last year, but even if we switch QB, C and RT over the summer, we don't know what other team may be on the rise and become a dominant team that can beat us no matter what we have for talent.
    I hear ya My Sexy Little Pixie, however, this staff has taken a very methodic approach to rebuilding this team.
    Could they have gone out and tried to get a Vet at each and every position?
    Probably and I know alot of fans, me included would have been alot happier with that approach, however,.....

    They have gone the long route that mostly focused on plugging rookies in over the last 3 years and only brining in Vets were they thought they needed to and those that they did bring in weren't the old grizzled Vets one would think they would have but rather a predominance of guys coming off thier first contract that in almost all instances took some time to get used to the system.

    Long story short, sure the other teams could in all actuality go out and spend huge dollars and instantly make themselves contenders, but that effort would be short lived.
    The approach this staff has taken appears to be an approach that will keep up competitive for many years to come.

    Add another piece (possibly QB) via FA and 3 or 4 more rooks for depth and you have a gol 'darnit nice (YOUNG) team ready to take the next step.

    Back to my point, I find it amazing that most fans can't see that and would make comments like the one I quoted.
    Again, I really thought our fans were more "Football Smart" than that.

    Key note:
    When I was up at the Iggles game, there was a brochure on each chair.
    In it they were advertising season tickets for $99.00.

    $99.00 Fricken dollars.

    Causes one to wonder doesn't it.
    i agree with most of what you say maardro. especially when it comes to us blaming chilldress for almost everything that has gone wrong up to invading iraq and the stock market failure. i think chilldress has grown into a better coach, however sometimes a coach's loyalty to his staff/friends creates failure. i have seen it here in chicago with lovie smith. he seems to be a good coach, but after going 13-3 on the power of their defense, he fired ron rivera to bring in his buddy babitch. ron was more of a 46 type d coach (as i would guess frazier would be if given free reighn), and lovie is more a tampa/cover 2 type. after the change the defense has gone to hell in a handbasket, but lovie refuses to fire babitch. even after they have hired marinelli. this seems to be the case with childress. he refuses to believe our special teams or offense would be better with a coaching change. that is where i see his biggest weakness now. we have a VERY talented team and we underachieved this season IMO. i sincerely believe he could be more successful if he would make a few coaching changes. just my opinion.

    I agree with you and Ragz... while chilly isn't to blame for everything... he's partly to blame bc of his reluctance to get rid of Bevell and bring in a guy with a better track record, where chilly can be more hands off...

    He's getting in his own way, and once he realizes he's not Andy Reid, then i think he will be more successful...

    at this point and i hate to say it, i almost wish he'd bring back scott linehan... and i hated him!!... that goes to show how much a change at coordinator is..

    and as far as lovie..firing ron rivera was the worst thing he coulda done, i think he was mad bc rivera was getting so much credit for the defense, since defense was lovie's thing, that he gets rid of him to prove it wasn't rivera.. well, as a vike fan, im glad he did, but yoru right the bears defense has gone to crap, and with rivera turning the chargers defense around, it only goes to show rivera is an excellent cooridinator...


  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: QB stability tops Vikings coaching staff's priority list

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Some notes from all the articles.....



    Everytime I see pooh like this I just marvel at the fans of this team.
    10 wins, division winner, steady improvement and the guy is so short sighted he wants to give up his season tickets cause "He isn't happy".



    Again, not sure why all the gloom and doom from the "Vikings Fans".
    Maybe they aren't as knowledgable about the game as I have thought my whole life.






    Anyway, looks like the lunacy and the Challenged Hillybilly Lovers that are associated with it are upon us my friends.

    :'(

    Yes Marr, we did improve marginally in our record over 3 years. You also have to look at the strength of the league and where our opportunities are. In his first year as a coach the Bears were 13-3 and they went to the SB. Winning the division that year would have been a pretty tough task for any other team in the division and the Bears were dominant enough to make a wild card team an unlikely as a SB rep.

    Last year there were also teams in the NFC who were solid teams. The Cowboys ended up choking though and the Giants made an improbable run, but that is not something you can expect to repeat over time as they proved yesterday.

    This year we had a weak NFC that was very ripe for the picking and the AFC is weaker than it has been in over a decade, maybe longer.
    The number 4 and 6 seeds are playing for the championship in the NFC and in the AFC, there is not team that looks to be unbeatable.

    So while you can sit there and say that a fans view is myopic because they fail to look at a small incremental improvement in win % as a reason for optimism, I actually see that view as myopic because it doesn't take into account the fact that had the staff addressed a few positions last year that everybody except them knew were weak, we could be in the SB this year and have a great shot at winning it.

    So yes, we may be better record wise than last year, but even if we switch QB, C and RT over the summer, we don't know what other team may be on the rise and become a dominant team that can beat us no matter what we have for talent.
    I hear ya My Sexy Little Pixie, however, this staff has taken a very methodic approach to rebuilding this team.
    Could they have gone out and tried to get a Vet at each and every position?
    Probably and I know alot of fans, me included would have been alot happier with that approach, however,.....

    They have gone the long route that mostly focused on plugging rookies in over the last 3 years and only brining in Vets were they thought they needed to and those that they did bring in weren't the old grizzled Vets one would think they would have but rather a predominance of guys coming off thier first contract that in almost all instances took some time to get used to the system.

    Long story short, sure the other teams could in all actuality go out and spend huge dollars and instantly make themselves contenders, but that effort would be short lived.
    The approach this staff has taken appears to be an approach that will keep up competitive for many years to come.

    Add another piece (possibly QB) via FA and 3 or 4 more rooks for depth and you have a gol 'darnit nice (YOUNG) team ready to take the next step.

    Back to my point, I find it amazing that most fans can't see that and would make comments like the one I quoted.
    Again, I really thought our fans were more "Football Smart" than that.

    Key note:
    When I was up at the Iggles game, there was a brochure on each chair.
    In it they were advertising season tickets for $99.00.

    $99.00 Fricken dollars.

    Causes one to wonder doesn't it.
    Hey Marr... i like the offseason approach our team has taken for the most part... but I take issue with you going to bat for our coaching staff... earlier in the offseason, you were spouting fire chilly and all that.. but for a soft closing schedule and an unexpected division crown, now all of a sudden your back on the bandwagon..

    Now don't get me wrong, i do think Chilly deserves another year, however, let's be honest! if not for the "players" we've actually brought in, our team hasn't made much progress, in the scheme's we've been running.. we're still imploding and making silly mistakes that marred us from the beginning...

    I know we need a QB, and that would possibly go a long way to fixing some issues on the team, however, let's be honest!!.. regardless of who we have at any position.. this team is underachieving... yes, they're playing hard, but the fact of the matter is they also play dumb and can't execute the scheme effectively... it's been 3, THREE years, and we've been saying the same thing over and over and over again... give them time!!..

    Well, IMO, he has 1 more year, to prove he can get his players to perform like they are supposed to perform... he's on the hot seat this year... IMO! We have a division crown yes, but the fact remains, this team is not performing up to the level they are capable, and to me that's the most important thing about a coach... can he get his players to perform up to and beyond the level they are capable of!!..

    AND IMO, he hasn't really come close to being able to do that!!!...
    I am not so sure I am even on the support the Chiller bandwagon my freind.
    I still have huge issues with respect (see my previous post) to how they get a team prepared.

    Show me someplace were I have said otherwise.

    My post above is more along the lines of supporting the organizations approach to rebuilding this team.
    Anyone who follows my posts know that I contend that the FO (VP of Player Personnel (Spielman), Pro Scouting (Patton), Collegiate Scouting (Studwell)) has alot more to do with the talent that is selected for this team than the coaching staff.

    Please don't confuse my opinions in that area my friend..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #30
    ragz's Avatar
    ragz is offline GM
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: QB stability tops Vikings coaching staff's priority list

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    If watching the playoff games isn't enough to drive home the point that the O.L should top the priority list then I am not sure what would. Keeping pressure off of the QB is the most important thing you can do for your team in the playoffs.
    Some yutz has been preaching "Its the OLs fault" for quite some time..... ;D
    you have buddy.
    and to me the best indication of that this weekend was the titan-raven game.
    tennesse dominated that game and just like us in the atlanta game gave it away.
    but he they were facing a great raven defense and kerry collins had some sweet pockets all day long.
    and they were without their starting center.
    when you own the line of scrimmage you can have even mediocre guys look awesome at the qb position, not to mention being able to run the ball with regular success.


    bleedpurple, my brother has been saying the same thing about linehan.
    i dont even know how much i even like the idea, but getting someone in here who at least does have a track record, and has been more successful with passing games in his career kinda gives me the feeling that alot of tjack haters have.
    jsut bring in anyone and they'd have to be better than childress and bevell.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cleveland tops list of most miserable U.S. cities
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 08:53 PM
  2. Titans' strength lies in stability of coaching staff
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
  3. Kevin Williams tops DT list...
    By mountainviking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 09:47 PM
  4. Miami tops rude drivers list
    By Zeus in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 06:53 PM
  5. L.A. tops list of nation's most polluted
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •