Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    dfosterf is offline Coach

Re: QB situation unsettled, Vikings ramp up draft prep

I'm not being argumentative, but more along the lines of curious...

I read the article where the HC (OC? I forget) said you're getting away from "schemes" and going with concepts that "fit the players" on offense...

I have read where every team in the NFL runs some ZBS these days, especially when facing 3-4 defenses, which is now about half the league.

Jeff Davidson switched the Carolina Panthers TO the ZBS in 2007, not away from it.

The reason I'm curious is this... What has been happening to NFL o-lines the past several years is NOT any abandonment of the ZBS, actually, quite the opposite. What HAS been happening is that the traditional concept of lighter, faster guys that are ostensibly good for employing the scheme-THAT is what is being abandoned- "ZBS teams" are getting bigger, by an average of approx. 10 lbs EA, by my calculations....they try to maintain the "speed" by drafting earlier/better athletes.

My question is this. Is everyone assuming that due to the comments made in an article at the MST that you are now adjusting your philosophy to your talent pool an ASSUMPTION that you are going hat-on-a-hat blocking?

I might be missing something. Has anyone got a link from a coach saying you are definitely getting away from the ZBS?

McCarthy has been telling Puker fans he's getting away from ZBS for almost 5 years now. All we ARE doing is drafting bigger players to replace the smaller ones, a slow, agonizing process, as all the "ideal for ZBS" olinemen have been marginal to shit, and mostly shit, imo

As I said, this is a question, not an argument- It's just that it keeps getting repeated around here, and I am not so sure it's going to happen based on my "surface" knowledge of your situation.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1090328
    I'm not being argumentative, but more along the lines of bi-curious...
    Some Packers fans have that problem. Not to worry.

I read the article where the HC (OC? I forget) said you're getting away from "schemes" and going with concepts that "fit the players" on offense...
    I believe this was his way of saying they were not going with trying to fit a square peg in a round hole any more as was the case with the last dude.

I have read where every team in the NFL runs some ZBS these days, especially when facing 3-4 defenses, which is now about half the league

Probably true. The league is all about action and reaction

Jeff Davidson switched the Carolina Panthers TO the ZBS in 2007, not away from it.
    Good point considering how they are now tearing up the league.

The reason I'm curious is this... What has been happening to NFL o-lines the past several years is NOT any abandonment of the ZBS, actually, quite the opposite. What HAS been happening is that the traditional concept of lighter, faster guys are good for employing the scheme- ZBS teams are getting bigger....they try to maintain the "speed" by drafting earlier/better athletes.

The situation evolves every year. One year all of a sudden a team comes out with a Wildcat formation that totally caught the patriots by surprise and all of a sudden everyone needed a Wildcat back. That trend lasted about 5 minutes...

What I read into it is that they may not totally abandon the ZB entirely but they will make sure to use it in formations that they have the personnel to be successful with it. Right now we have a miz of really big guys on the outside that are not exactly the earlier drafted/better athlete guys coming out right now. In the middle we had a center that was too small to take on the NT's so we ended up dedicating 2 blockers to 1 defender too much of the time and the Guards were probably about average size.

My question is this. Is everyone assuming that due to the comments made in an article at the MST that you are now adjusting your philosophy to your talent pool an ASSUMPTION that you are going hat-on-a-hat blocking?

The assumption would be that if we don't have the personnel to run the ZB at a proficient level that we will not force it on the players and stick to what works. There is also the option of changing out some of the players to get more proficient at ZB.

I might be missing something. Has anyone got a link from a coach saying you are getting away from the ZBS?
    I am not sure it was mentioned> what was mentioned is that we would be using the players to their strengths and at this time it is not certain that the ZBS fits the talent. Although a change in OL coaching could potentially change that.

McCarthy has been telling Puker fans he's getting away from ZBS for 5 years. All we ARE doing is drafting bigger players to replace the smaller ones.
    And some of that goes with who you have running the ball. Grant was a much better ZB RB while jackson is much better suited to man blocking.

As I said, this is a question, not an argument- It's just that it keeps getting repeated around here, and I am not so sure it's going to happen based on my "surface" knowledge of your situation.
    One that I pray to god about is that we don't keep the same assignments with the same players. My guess is that the coaches will be looking long and hard at the game film and taking out the things that caused us problems and spending more time looking at ways to run formations out of the ones we do well.

thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/01/greg-mcelroy-says-hes-better-prepared-for-the-nfl-than-cam-newton/

I believe one quarterback worth looking at from college who has been a forgotten man due to injury is Greg McElroy. He's a winner, winning a national championship with Alabama. He played in a pro-style offense, and he scored high on his wonderlic (which doesn't mean anything but could mean he's more likely to be able to read a defense better than most).

thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

and yes... that just happened!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090285
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090227
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090081
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089969
    http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/article/id/50309/group/homepage/

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) If the Minnesota Vikings were ever tempted to ignore the old take-the-best-player-available strategy and focus on a particular position in the first round of the draft, this would surely be the year.
    This little gem is music to my ears:
    The West Coast system that head coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell installed is essentially gone, with Leslie Frazier and Bill Musgrave now in place. The Vikings plan to tailor their scheme around their best players to fit their skills, rather than the other way around.
    Wow, neat concept.
    And yet, if you listen to Leslie and really look at what Musgrove brings to the table, the music quickly fades to some infant banging on the piano and not playing anything at all.

They are gonna run the same offense that they ran pre-Noodle. Basically Marty ball, which by the way, I think you were all for in one thread until I pointed out the similarities. :P
    nope.

the offense will not be the same.
    How will it differ?

Again, they will get away from the ZB'ing scheme and put a bigger emphasis on running, but nothing else will change.

Still gonna be a WCO scheme, using multiple TE's, H-backs/FB's and 2 WR sets. Thats Musgroves MO. Surely you don't think they brought him in to run a scheme he isn't familiar with.

Thats almost as silly as saying that we should change the whole scheme to fit one player, or even believing that we would have one player on the roster that doesn't fit the scheme.
    Read:
    http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/s/westcoast/history.html

It's from 2001-2002. Be sure to read the part by Steve Young too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12