Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: qb in the draft?

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    "hovan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    heck, pepper will be out for a while, johnson could go down and our other quarterback sucks. i wouldn't mind grabbing 2 qb's in the draft one for 3rd string and a back up for johnson which sounds real crazy especially with pepper on the team still but hey why pay a free agent big bucks when we can get a young guy in a later round and take a chance on him for the heck of it.
    Easier to pick up someone in FA that will play for the minimum (with NO signing bonus)...someone that could actually step in and perform if BJ does go down!
    Cajun, I just don't understand what the board has become. It is now a place where the common mentality is " We are one RB away from a Super Bowl" And now I hear the VINCE YOUNG is our savior.
    That "we are one running back away" talk got us Hershel Walker. :grin:
    Yes, and Cowboy fans should still be thanking us for that.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

I'll take a Randel-El , I mean David Palmer, type of player. We can always use an X - factor !!
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

"vikesoto" wrote:
    I'll take a Randel-El , I mean David Palmer, type of player. We can always use an X - factor !!
    Yes, they are great weapons to have if you know how to use them correctly and no one seems to do it better than Cowher because what has Kordell Stewart done since he left the Steelers.

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "mr.woo" wrote:
    i say we try to go after either reggie mcneal, dj shockley or charlie whitehurst. they would all be good types for the west coast offense. jay cutler doesnt impress me even though alot of people on this site like him.
    I hate to break it to you but the 3 QBs you just metioned will never be great starting QBs in the league and may be a good backup but the only teams they will be QBing for will be 7-9 or 6-10 teams. There is speculation that McNeal will have to go to WR just to make it in the league. As for how good Cutler will be is unclear to me, he seems to remind of Heath Shuler and that is not good, but Cutler is a dropback passer with a quick release and that fits right into the West Coast offense with its crossing routes and timing patterns. But Cutler is a way better QB prospect than the other three will ever be.

OH Comeone now Nelson! You know you want a raw Aaron Brooks type QB that will take years of developing over shoring up the O line! Don't lie to me :grin:
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

"hovan" wrote:
    "DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "mr.woo" wrote:
    i say we try to go after either reggie mcneal, dj shockley or charlie whitehurst. they would all be good types for the west coast offense. jay cutler doesnt impress me even though alot of people on this site like him.
    I hate to break it to you but the 3 QBs you just metioned will never be great starting QBs in the league and may be a good backup but the only teams they will be QBing for will be 7-9 or 6-10 teams. There is speculation that McNeal will have to go to WR just to make it in the league. As for how good Cutler will be is unclear to me, he seems to remind of Heath Shuler and that is not good, but Cutler is a dropback passer with a quick release and that fits right into the West Coast offense with its crossing routes and timing patterns. But Cutler is a way better QB prospect than the other three will ever be.

OH Comeone now Nelson! You know you want a raw Aaron Brooks type QB that will take years of developing over shoring up the O line! Don't lie to me :grin:
    So want us to wander around mediocrity for years like the Saints have with Aaron Brooks and his bone headed decision making. lol

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

i think whitehurst is the best of the bunch and will be a great nfl qb reminds me of charlie frye
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

"mr.woo" wrote:
    i think whitehurst is the best of the bunch and will be a great nfl qb reminds me of charlie frye
    I do agree that Whitehurst is the best of the 3 you mentioned but I do not think he will be anything more than a servicable backup in the NFL

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted 2/5/2006 9:19 PM Updated 2/5/2006 11:56 PM

[size=18px]Leinart says NFL will profit from his management style [/size]

By Gordon Forbes,
    USA TODAY

Not intimidated by the NFL: "I'm just going to approach it like I do any game, any season, at USC. Coming into the NFL, I've got a high profile. I've received a lot of attention the last couple of years. I'm a team guy, and I'm a hard worker." — Matt Leinart

DETROIT — Matt Leinart, last year's Heisman Trophy winner, says the team that drafts him next April will be getting a quarterback who places managing the game above throwing 50-yard passes.

"I think the quarterback position is mostly mental," said Leinart during Super Bowl week. "Physically, you've got to be able to throw the football and run around and make plays. But the biggest part is preparation. Preparing yourself in the film room, or on the chalkboard with your coach."

Leinart, who skipped last year's draft to remain at Southern California, has no regrets about his decision, even after the Trojans lost to Texas in the Rose Bowl, their only loss of the season.

"We got to the game we wanted to get to and I wanted to get to," he said. "We were a half-yard short (on a critical fourth-down play). It was a great game and just because we lost the game doesn't mean I have any regrets. I made that decision a year ago. I loved college. I love the atmosphere. And I love being around my team. And now I'm much more mature as a person."

Somebody asked if the performance of Texas' Vince Young in the bowl game had elevated him above Leinart in the draft. "Who knows?" said Leinart. "I know I'm preparing hard and he's preparing hard."

Leinart on other subjects:

• He doesn't care where he plays in the NFL, calling it "an honor" to be drafted.

• On managing the game: "Obviously there are guys who have stronger arms and there's going to be guys who can run faster. But for me, the biggest part of the game is managing the game. Having the intensity that great quarterbacks like Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and both quarterbacks in (this) Super Bowl have."

• "On being at Super Bowl XL: "This is cool. It's something you dream about. It's kind of surreal. This is what every young boy, every college and high school player works for, to get to the NFL."

• On high expectations: "I'm just going to approach it like I do any game, any season, at USC. Coming into the NFL, I've got a high profile. I've received a lot of attention the last couple of years. I'm a team guy, and I'm a hard worker."

Leinart's hero is Brett Favre, the Green Bay quarterback. His family roots for the Oakland Raiders. Yet, Leinart concedes he wasn't always interested in football.

"I wasn't a big football fan growing up," he said. "I always played baseball. I didn't even like USC really, until I got to high school and they offered me a scholarship."

But now, Leinart likens himself to Brady. "I don't like talking about myself but I think I have the will to win," he said. "He (Brady) might not be the most total guy but he has a knack of winning. I think I'm a great leader. I just have a passion for the game and I want to win. I just lost two games in my career as a starter."

At least a half-dozen NFL teams might need a new quarterback, including New Orleans, Miami, Green Bay (if Favre retires) and the New York Jets (if Chad Pennington doesn't recover from shoulder surgery).

Leinart will be happy to be picked by any of them. "For me," he said, "it's all about playing, going out there and working and getting better."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

I love Leinart's attitude and the fact that he went back for his senior season. Who wouldn't want to live it up at USC with all those hot coeds around?

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"hovan" wrote:
    "collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    heck, pepper will be out for a while, johnson could go down and our other quarterback sucks. i wouldn't mind grabbing 2 qb's in the draft one for 3rd string and a back up for johnson which sounds real crazy especially with pepper on the team still but hey why pay a free agent big bucks when we can get a young guy in a later round and take a chance on him for the heck of it.
    Well hell while were at it, lets just use all of our draft picks on QB's :?:
    no way dude. common do you have any faith in jt lossman? pepper probably will be out the whole year or most of it. johnson can easily get injured or play like crap. what if pepper did get traded? then we have johnson and jt. then we need a 3rd string quarterback; draft a rookie. why not use a late round pick like 6, or 7 on someone to compete for the 3rd spot with lossman? i have no faith in jt and it's not like we gave up much for him i just think we should start the year with 4 quarterbacks thats all.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast