Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CrazyVikingsFan is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Put your Vikings draft grades and analysis here

A- i liked this draft. We fixed all of our needs. In the first round we added some help at lb. IN the second round we helped replace brian williams with a good cb and griffen could be our starting cb in the future. Also in the second round we got cook who is a interchangeable guy that will help with the left side of the line. Also in the second round we got our most contraversal pick Tarvaris Jackson. He is a well built qb with tons of upside. he may not have the experience of a matt lienert but he can throw the football and he has great mobility. In the 4th round we traded our 4th and 6th pick for the eagles forth and Hicks. Hicks was a great move. He started 14 games last year for the eagles and he will add some experience to a young right side of the line. He could be a possible starter next year. Finally in the 5th round we took Greg Blue which is a very hard hitting saftey which will take sharpers spot in a couple of years will make wr think twice about catching the ball. All in all we had a great draft and filled all of our needs. If you didnt like this draft start looking at prospects next year that will still be there at the 32pick!!!!!!!!!

chilifoot is offline Starter

1st round, 17th pick - Chad Greenway, OLB
    Grade A+
    This is a great pick. I initially hoped that Sims would fall to us at 17, but in hindsight, I'm glad we got Greenway instead. Greenway fills a position of need with a good combination of skills, smarts, and character. He will contribute immediately, possibly starting for us from day 1. He will be a major part of our defense and a team leader for years to come.

2nd round, 48th pick - Cedric Griffin, DB
    Grade A+
    Griffin may not have been the flashiest of choices, with players like Ashton Youboty and Richard Marshall still available. However, he was a three-year starter for one of the best programs in the nation which means he faced top talent on a regular basis. Griffin's a smart, tough player who should excel in a cover-2 scheme. He also has the versatility to play either safety or corner which just gives us more depth in the secondary.

2nd round, 51st pick - Ryan Cook, OL
    Grade D-
    Now, Cook may end up being a great player for us, but I just can't see taking him here when there were other players on the board who held more value (specifically 2nd round value). I may not know as much about this as the great Fran Foley, but I would expect us to wait a little longer than the 2nd round to start reaching for 4th or 5th round linemen. I just can't see how the TOA can talk about drafting with "best player available" mentality and then taking a 2nd day prospect in round 2. The only thing that keeps me from giving this an F is the fact that it adds more depth to the line because Cook can play tackle and center.

2nd round, 64th pick - Tarvaris Jackson, QB
    Grade C+
    This pick was alright. To be honest, I'm just glad we didn't take Brodie "Brittle Knees" Croyle. Jackson is an efficient passer with good athletisicm, but will he be ready to step in for Brad Johnson soon enough?

4th round, 127th pick - Ray Edwards, DE
    Grade D
    I know you can never have enough pass rushers, but it seems as though we could have done better at this spot. Edwards is not the type of high-motor or high-character guy I would want on my team.... in fact he's lazy and unmotivated. I would have liked to seen us take Ryan O'Callaghan, G out of California here, as he was a first day prospect who slipped.

5th round, 149th pick - Greg Blue, FS
    Grade B
    This is a guy who could have gone a lot higher if he was faster and had better ball-skills, but as it is, we landed him at a bargain price. He's a hard hitter and will be a contributor on special teams as well as add needed depth to our secondary. He may also play LB in the future depending how things pan out.

I'll include the acquisition of Artis Hicks in here as well. He's a guy who may start some games for us, which in my book means that giving up a sixth and sliding back in the 4th makes it a good deal. I'll factor the trade into the overall Draft Grade.

Overall Grade C+
    Greenway and Griffin are two excellent picks. Both could be playing for us for a long time and they pull the rest of a lackluster draft out of the gutter.

"WinonaVike" wrote:
    "LongtimeVikesfan" wrote:
    b+

The "Triangle of Authority" (TOA) knows exactly what the Vikings need. We had a great FA off-season and filled some key positions. I believe the TOA weighed heavily on character and athletic abilities to plug the remaining holes. Studwell is one of the best at scouting and placing specific needs on the board. This will all pay off in the near future.
    So now we know how you feel about the TOA, how about the picks themselevs...
    My draft analysis is insignificant. I can go to at least 15 different sights and read 15 different strong and weak points on each player. I haven’t watched them enough to give an A, B or any other grade.

Your analysis however was pretty high compared to a lot of others on PP.O.

The bottom line is that we bring these young players in and teach them the correct way to play and shore up their weaknesses. Obviously the TOA see these players as future stars and team players that will contribute to a championship.
    It all starts up front

viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach

First of all, good idea for a thread.

Coming into the draft, the Vikings had 5 first day picks, and 4 holes to fill. With their first pick, the Vikings selected All-American linebacker Chad Greenway. With their first of three 2nd round picks, the Vikings addressed their need for a nickle corner by selecting Cedric Griffin, the 2nd best defensive player for the National champions. With their 3rd pick, they snagged Ryan Cook, who was a 3 time 1st-team All-Conference selection. With their 3rd and final 2nd round pick, the Vikings got Tarvaris Jackson, a QB they obviously love, who also has the most potential of any QB in the draft not named Vince Young. The Vikings also selected a Big time defensive end out of Purdue, and Greg blue, a safety who was slated to go late 2nd-early 3rd.

Overall: Good draft with it's share of surprises and superstars.

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

F-

That draft was terrible. I mean to start with by not trading for cutler for our 1st and 3rd round picks. Then to make it up we pick this guy Tavaris Jackson who came from a small college and hasn't proven his skills. Add that up with his position and character. Then we go after a FS and SS when we needed a RB and TE and we already have depth at that position already.

Formerly Viking24

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ViKing24" wrote:
    F-

That draft was terrible. I mean to start with by not trading for cutler for our 1st and 3rd round picks. Then to make it up we pick this guy Tavaris Jackson who came from a small college and hasn't proven his skills. Add that up with his position and character. Then we go after a FS and SS when we needed a RB and TE and we already have depth at that position already.
    So, you need to play for a big college to be worth a lick?

Tell that to Ben Rothlesburger. Miami of Ohio is not what I would call a big football college.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "ViKing24" wrote:
    F-

So, you need to play for a big college to be worth a lick?

Tell that to Ben Rothlesburger. Miami of Ohio is not what I would call a big football college.
    You are the voice of reason today Ultra. I'm tired of people saying we had a horrible draft, Childress should be fired, we are never going to win a game... blah blah.

We have never seen ANY of these guys play a snap in the NFL. You can't judge a single one of them until you see them play in an NFL game. Enough said.

jhirchak1 is offline Rookie

I give them a B if you do not include the pick of Cook from New Mexico.

If you include the pick of Cook, I give them a C

C.....

I look at the draft like this...you never know.

Now, unless you are a fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes, Texas Longhorns, New Mexico Lobos, Georgia Bulldogs , or Alabama State.. we really don't know much about these guys other than what we've seen on ESPN or the NFL Network, or read in draft preview magazines. Now we can say this or that, and the bottom line is most of us have seen the 30 second "highlight" reel of them and that's about it. And all they show us are the "good" plays. It's the truth. I'll be the first to say that I don't know enough about any of our draft picks to comment in a negative way, and for that matter, I can't sit here and make them out to be the next best thing since sliced bread. I treat this class like I have every draft class, that's with a POSITIVE attitude!!

Now IMO, the Vikings addressed some need areas and felt that giving up both third round picks to move up and select Tavaris Jackson was a "gutsy" move. Hey even though he comes from a "small" school, that fact he was drafted so early tells me something.

Now why do I give this class a "C", I give every draft clas a C, reason is WE DON'T KNOW what kind of pro they're going to be. Wait a season or two, then think, ok, I gave them a "A" on draft weekend , but here we are two seasons later, and only one player is a starter and the rest are on other teams or out of the NFL entirely... Now, would you still give that class an "A" ?? Who knows if Greenway is going to be the next Urlacher, or the next Mike Mamula. Is Jackson the next McNair or Akili Smith. Is Griffin the next shut down corner the Vikes are looking for, or is he Andre Ward?? We just DON'T know..

I hope these players help the team get a NFC North Championship, and "maybe" more...

I wish them all luck , and my congatulations on being drafted.....
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

[size=18px]Draft =[/size]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast