Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    chilifoot is offline Starter

Put your Vikings draft grades and analysis here

Maybe we can keep them all confined to one thread

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Put your Vikings draft grades and analysis here

Solid but not flashy.

Maybe this is the type of draft we needed.

We'll see how things play out in 2006 / 2007.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

W

-Waiting to see how they perform. I do not know a heck of a lot about college ball (I should try more) but I put my faith in those who do all the research on these guys.

1st Rd- A-: Very pleased with the Greenway pick, although i think we could have gotten Cutler. We gave up 2 3rd rounders for Jackson, had we sent that package to St. Louis i think they whould have pulled the trigger. I think Greenway will come in and be an immediate upgrade at the LB spot and is an eventual pro bowler.

2nd Rd- B-: I like the Griffin pick a lot, but im not sold on Cook, and am not sure about Jackson. I think Griffin will be the nickle back this year, at least compete with Dovonte for that spot, and i think it is important that we got Cook to back up Birk. With Jackson i think we gave up to much to move up to ge thim, i was dissapointed with that.

3rd Rd-F: Trading both our picks to move up and get Jackson was unnecessary IMO. I think we could maybe have given up less and just moved up slighly in the 3rd rd to get him.

4th Rd B-: I like this pick somewhat, it adds some depth to the line, but i think other positions could have been addressed, brought the grade up with the selection of Blue in the 5th Rd.

5th Rd A: I really think this coudl be a steal. Blue is a very solid safety, lacks some speed but he can flat out play football.

C-

second round picks made this a really bad draft but I thinkg edwards and blue made it up

Yeah, I agree with Ultra, it's way too soon to truly know how any of these picks are going to pan out. I think I'll give it a few years and then look back and judge the picks.
    Even babies know the difference.

b+

The "Triangle of Authority" (TOA) knows exactly what the Vikings need. We had a great FA off-season and filled some key positions. I believe the TOA weighed heavily on character and athletic abilities to plug the remaining holes. Studwell is one of the best at scouting and placing specific needs on the board. This will all pay off in the near future.
    It all starts up front

"LongtimeVikesfan" wrote:
    b+

The "Triangle of Authority" (TOA) knows exactly what the Vikings need. We had a great FA off-season and filled some key positions. I believe the TOA weighed heavily on character and athletic abilities to plug the remaining holes. Studwell is one of the best at scouting and placing specific needs on the board. This will all pay off in the near future.
    So now we know how you feel about the TOA, how about the picks themselevs...

VikingGuy43 is offline Rookie

Chad Greenway was a very solid selection at #17. He fills a need at LB and brings a lot of productivity to the position something that we have lacked for a long time. He isn't an overly sexy selection but he figures to make quite an impact next year.

Cedric Griffin was alright in round 2. Once again nothing where I am thinking wow what a pick! I don't like the O-lineman selection at all. Max Jean-Gilles was available at guard and we take a center? Explain that one to me. I heard Jean-Gilles was considered good enough to go at the bottom of the first. and have watched a lot of Georgia games where he manhandles people.

Tavaris Jackson is a really questionable selection! Why do we take this guy when Brodie Croyle and Omar Jacobs are available? Hopefully Childress knows something I don't but at this point in time I think this pick was stupid. There is no way we should have traded up to get him, at least sit where you are and let him fall. The Steelers drafted Jacobs who is much more proven then this guy nearly 3 rounds later and they didn't even have a need at QB. Maybe they think Jackson is going to be like McNabb but I am just not buying it.

I don't know anything about this guy from Purdue so I really can't say. I question this pick also though because do we really need another D-lineman? Draft a guard, another corner, or a tightend.

Greg Blue is an awesome pick. He can lay the lumber on people from what I have witnessed and I think we are going to use his speed and athletisism as a LB not a safety. If he can put on about 10 lbs he definitely has the potential to be a highlight real player at LB.

Overall grade: C
    Other then Greenway these picks just don't seem to make a lot of sense. None of them are considered to be steals where we took them and guys like Blue and Jackson are definitely going to take time to develope. I think we are still really weak at CB as far as depth goes and I don't really understand drafting a center in Round 2. Childress is not impressing me at this point but as I said maybe he knows something I don't.

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

A for Anxiety
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast