jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Pros/Cons: The James Jones Debate

From JSOnline Packers Blog.

PROS
    -- Aaron Rodgers wants him back. The Packers quarterback publicly campaigned for management to keep Jones, saying the receiver should be "priority No. 1." With a Super Bowl MVP on his resume, Rodgers deserves to be heard. Some players warrant a voice. Obviously, there's a comfort level here and continuity is crucial for the offense to keep humming.
    -- Jones fits in. Four years in, his role is defined. Jones is a physical specimen capable of going across the middle and making the big play. Statistically, he's the team's best receiver after the catch. Who serves this specific role if he leaves? Randall Cobb is an intriguing rookie but he's undersized. There could be a transition period.
    -- Block the Vikings. After losing Sidney Rice, Minnesota is searching for a replacement. As wideouts fly off the free-agent shelf, the Packers could stick it to their division rival by paying up for Jones.
    CONS
    -- Big deals on the way. You can't pay everyone. Jermichael Finley and Jordy Nelson will both be free agents next year. There's a good chance the Packers prefer one or both of them over Jones. Finley remains an enigma with seemingly limitless potential. And Nelson was considerably better than Jones during Green Bay's postseason run. In wins over Atlanta, Chicago and Pittsburgh, Nelson caught 21 passes for 286 yards and two touchdowns.
    -- The concentration lapses. Jones dropped multiple potential touchdowns in the regular season and the playoffs. On top of this, he also fumbled three times last year. For a naturally gifted pass-catcher like Jones, such consistent errors are difficult to comprehend.
    -- The price is too high. Ted Thompson has made a habit of re-signing players before their market value peaks. Right now, Jones can command a larger contract than he may be worth. That's the nature of free agency. If the Packers really wanted to keep Jones, a deal might have been done a while back.
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126406983.html
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Jarlvik is offline Rookie

Re: Pros/Cons: The James Jones Debate

Agreed. It would be a crapshoot. Very tempting, BUT...
    None

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

James Jones' intriguing physical tools combined with great pass-catching abilities are not enough to make up for his major inconsistency. I don't want another Berrian in that regard.

Why, oh why can't we just pick up a receiver who consistently catch balls and keeps his act together off and on the field. Can it really be that hard?

The wide receiver must be the most egocentric position in the NFL. Why can't they be like offensive linemen or something?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

The price is too high. Ted Thompson has made a habit of re-signing players before their market value peaks. Right now, Jones can command a larger contract than he may be worth.
    Thought that was interesting.

On a side note, 6'1", 208, isn't really that impressive. Jenkins is 6'4"/217 and he doesn't have the dropsies.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marty's Pros/Cons:

Pros:

Cons:
    PUKER!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1101934
    Marty's Pros/Cons:

Pros:

Cons:
    PUKER!
    You know me to well.

On a side note, ....Don't forget, I did like Ferg eventually. My resistance with this guy is he really isn't that big body I'm looking for.

All joking aside, and getting back to a fit for the scheme, might not be an issue as he is bigger than say a PH, but I'm not sure he is gonna muscle to many doubles with a S and a MLB hanging on him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1101936
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1101934
    Marty's Pros/Cons:

Pros:

Cons:
    PUKER!
    You know me to well.

On a side note, ....Don't forget, I did like Ferg eventually. My resistance with this guy is he really isn't that big body I'm looking for.

All joking aside, and getting back to a fit for the scheme, might not be an issue as he is bigger than say a PH, but I'm not sure he is gonna muscle to many doubles with a S and a MLB hanging on him.
    I'm not certain we're getting him to replace Rice.

Jones seems to me like Berrians replacement. Not a burner, no, but a bigger guy who can play outside (don't start). We'll get another big body to play opposite, with Harvin in the slot. That would be ideal anyway. Jones was used by the Pack as a pretty versatile player, big and strong enough to beat jams, quick enough to run precision routes, and get open underneath, and has enough speed to run the intermediate routes as well fairly well. He's not exceptional at any one thing, just decent in all things. His concentration seems to be lacking at times, as he had his share of drops during the season.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

All I can say is if he is making a big batch of Kool Aid I would recommend passing on it.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Whoever we sign, if he's not an improvement over Rice, we've took a step backwards.

In the end, it probably is moot. Since they did very little to improve the offense line to protect our QB's, McNabb & Ponder are just two new names to be added to the list of starting QB's that get maimed behind our O-line.

I don't think there has been a starting QB since Johnson in '05 that has survived behind that line without getting injured.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"