Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Prioritizing the Vikings 7 Biggest Needs

Minnesota Vikings: Prioritizing the Vikings 7 Biggest Needs Going into 2011

Not sure if I agree with the rankings/order or even the needs, but the first thing they have to do is sign Hussain. Then they need to figure out what they are gonna do with Rice.

I thought this was a pretty interesting little tidbit, considering how crappy our DL played last year.

The Vikings pass defense achieved its highest ranking in 15 season when they finished the 2010 season as the 10th ranked team in the league yielding an average of 210.4 passing yards per game. In 1996 the Minnesota defense finished ranked ninth in the NFL at 195.1 yards per game.

Undrafted free agent Husain Abdullah started 15 games at strong safety last season for the Vikings and led the Vikings with three interceptions. Look for the Vikings to find a way to re-sign the three-year veteran who will be a free agent in 2011.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Prioritizing the Vikings 7 Biggest Needs

Can't argue with the guy. Glad he didn't say DT as I believe we are capable in that issue.

Safety play was horrible. Pass defensed numbers should never be this low. It was horrendous.

I do disagree with the CB's being a priority as I believe we are set there. I would like to see cook back there at Safety though, which will allow us to add one more to the line up.

Qb is out top priority... anyone else saying different is on the kush.

delviking is offline Starter

were not good at DT, DE is a maybe but DT we need a Otech badly. Guion and Kennedy are both 3tech and good rotational guys but we need a good Otech.

not totally set at corner but have enough youth there to let it ride for another season to see what we truely have though if a Prince, or Peterson drop then take him.

i agree QB is the most pressing but if Gabbert doesnt drop then the 2nd round is our best chance of finding a good QB, if we dont trade back from 12

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1092854
    were not good at DT, DE is a maybe but DT we need a Otech badly. Guion and Kennedy are both 3tech and good rotational guys but we need a good Otech.

not totally set at corner but have enough youth there to let it ride for another season to see what we truely have though if a Prince, or Peterson drop then take him.

i agree QB is the most pressing but if Gabbert doesnt drop then the 2nd round is our best chance of finding a good QB, if we dont trade back from 12
    Question: Does every team running the 4-3 have a standard 0 tech? Better yet...does every team running to Tampa 2, still utilize 3 and 0 technique DTs? Research and let me know. I bet you will be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1092870

Question: Does every team running the 4-3 have a standard 0 tech? Better yet...does every team running to Tampa 2, still utilize 3 and 0 technique DTs? Research and let me know. I bet you will be surprised.
    It doesn't matter what other teams are doing. Our scheme, atleast under Frazier has still used a 0/3 tech at NT.

By the way, I have done the research. My count is 2 possibly 3 (not including the Vikes). What hurts those teams is the shift in the league towards the 3-4 and how that gobbles up the 0 techniques that could also play the 3 technique (0/3 tech) our scheme requires.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Excellent post.

For the life of me I can't figure out why most of our posters on here refuse to acknowledge that there are differences in the DL play when it comes to DT's and DE's.

Right now we have a glut of 3/5 technique DE's (Kdubb/Guion/JK/Evans (FA)) and no one (Phat Pat is a FA) that can play both the 0 and 3 techinque.

Maybe, just maybe, Guion could fill that role as we saw him coming on last year, however, my guess is he can't. That guess is based on what they did with him (and Kdubb) when he was in there. Guion played the 3/5 and Kdubb filled in at the 0/3.

IMHO that took one of our playmakers (K-dubb) out of the mix as he was forced to take on the double.

I hope that they figure out how to get either Dareus or Liguet at 12 (if they don't take a QB) or Paea, Wilkerson or Taylor at 43.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092944

Excellent post.

For the life of me I can't figure out why most of our posters on here refuse to acknowledge that there are differences in the DL play when it comes to DT's and DE's.

Right now we have a glut of 3/5 technique DE's (Kdubb/Guion/JK/Evans (FA)) and no one (Phat Pat is a FA) that can play both the 0 and 3 techinque.

Maybe, just maybe, Guion could fill that role as we saw him coming on last year, however, my guess is he can't. That guess is based on what they did with him (and Kdubb) when he was in there. Guion played the 3/5 and Kdubb filled in at the 0/3.

IMHO that took one of our playmakers (K-dubb) out of the mix as he was forced to take on the double.

I hope that they figure out how to get either Dareus or Liguet at 12 (if they don't take a QB) or Paea, Wilkerson or Taylor at 43.
    Maybe if we hired the right coaches they will be able to use the guys they have and make them work. Do we have a traditional 0,3 guy? Probably not ( But maybe we can get a disgruntled one from the Chargers) but the coaches who innovate in the league find ways to mix things up and show formations that are new and that work with the guys on the roster. If you look back to like 1991 when we had Doleman and Al Noga at DE and inside we had Randle and Henry Thomas and the year before we had Millard in there we had no big hole plugger but we had some animals that got after the QB and got after them hard. That is the kind of thing we may need to look at again where we give KW another bulldog that can take some of the doubles and triples off of him so he can get to the QB more often.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092997
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092944

Excellent post.

Maybe if we hired the right coaches they will be able to use the guys they have and make them work.
    Not sure if I'm tracking on that comment. Are you saying that A) Leslie was the wrong hire as the D-coord, b) Was the wrong hire as the new HC or C) Blaming the Chiller for how the Defense is run?

If its C, I thought the prevailing sentiment on here was that Leslie ran the defense all by himself and the Chiller only mucked about with the offense.

Again, I must have missed something.

Do we have a traditional 0,3 guy? Probably not ( But maybe we can get a disgruntled one from the Chargers) but the coaches who innovate in the league find ways to mix things up and show formations that are new and that work with the guys on the roster. If you look back to like 1991 when we had Doleman and Al Noga at DE and inside we had Randle and Henry Thomas and the year before we had Millard in there we had no big hole plugger but we had some animals that got after the QB and got after them hard. That is the kind of thing we may need to look at again where we give KW another bulldog that can take some of the doubles and triples off of him so he can get to the QB more often.
    I think I track with all of that. Truth of the matter is, our defense sure has been stale the last couple of years and getting staler (like that word).

Seems when Pagac took over, however, we saw some nice stuff.......Griff at RDE, Guio at the 3/5 tech, some edge blitzing from the secondary, LB'rs did a bettter job of disguising what they were doing instead of showin a mug look at the line each play only to drop back into coverage etc etc.

Maybe thats the "Fresh Look" we need to get the defense back to were it used to be, which by the way, isn't to far off. I like were they ranked in pass defense last year. Pretty good considering we didn't have much push from the front 4 and the secondary was a bunch of scabs thrown together cause of all the injuries.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

[Marrdro wrote:quote]Not sure if I'm tracking on that comment. Are you saying that A) Leslie was the wrong hire as the D-coord, b) Was the wrong hire as the new HC or C) Blaming the Chiller for how the Defense is run?[/quote]

I am only saying that i was not impressed with many of the coaches from the last regime and Leslie is not immune from that either but specifically it was reference to the position coaches and how I feel they were not getting the best out of the players they were coaching.

If its C, I thought the prevailing sentiment on here was that Leslie ran the defense all by himself and the Chiller only mucked about with the offense.
    That wasn't my prevailing sentiment. I feel he was always involved just enough to screw everything up.

I think I track with all of that. Truth of the matter is, our defense sure has been stale the last couple of years and getting staler (like that word).
    Agreed.

Seems when Pagac took over, however, we saw some nice stuff.......Griff at RDE, Guio at the 3/5 tech, some edge blitzing from the secondary, LB'rs did a bettter job of disguising what they were doing instead of showin a mug look at the line each play only to drop back into coverage etc etc.
    Who knows, last year was such a wreck it is hard to tell whether we were seeing better positioning by the coaches or just a case of the players just going out and giving it their all because the witch was dead. We will start to see this season whether that trend continues or whether they fall right back into their funk.

Maybe thats the "Fresh Look" we need to get the defense back to were it used to be, which by the way, isn't to far off. I like were they ranked in pass defense last year. Pretty good considering we didn't have much push from the front 4 and the secondary was a bunch of scabs thrown together cause of all the injuries.
    I am less concerned by their ranking than by how they do against the divisional opponents when it counts and they didn't hold up too well in that part. We will see what the next season brings.