Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Possible DE answers in free agency

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    IMO the talent left isn't that great. However, the draft is deep and that can be good for 2 reasons.

1) At 17 there could be a very talented DL sitting there for us to draft who can be ready to roll for game #1. And they will cost us less than the FA's who may not be as gifted will.

2) Due to the depth of talent at DE in the draft, there is a good chance a few veterans will get cut when a younger,cheaper DE is drafted because the team will need to create a roster spot and cap room.

We will be able to solidify the DE position this year.

Also, Erasmus has a possibility of being back for the opener and as long as things go as planned, he can add more talent to the line.
    Excellent post my friend.

I strangley think it will be a mix of both 1 and 2.

Even if they don't like the guy at 17 there will be a couple that are of decent value (nice picks) in the second round as well and then throw in a Vet that is recently released that you can get cheap to hold the fort at LDE until Keneche comes back.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Even if they don't like the guy at 17 there will be a couple that are of decent value (nice picks) in the second round as well and then throw in a Vet that is recently released that you can get cheap to hold the fort at LDE until Keneche comes back.
    Um, I'm wishing the guy all the best, but you have to keep in mind that leukemia often kills.
    I'm not counting on Udeze coming back, ever.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

"purplepat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Um, I'm wishing the guy all the best, but you have to keep in mind that leukemia often kills.
    I am a leukemia survivor in my teenage years. It might kill, but still he might come back if he can fight it off...and it depends on the type he has

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"Nephilim" wrote:
    "purplepat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I am a leukemia survivor in my teenage years. It might kill, but still he might come back if he can fight it off...and it depends on the type he has
    They never really gave any more details about it, did they?

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

no, the vikings were pretty much mum on it.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"purplepat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Haven't you noticed before?
    I am a eternal optimist.
    Actually I know 3 people who have survived this before.

4 now that I count Neph.
    (Congrats my friend.)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

We've made great pick-ups in FA so far, and with patience could still find a Vet at DE, As much as I hate to see Tony R go, Tapeh is younger and has lead Eagles B. Westbrook with a career-best 1,333 yards rushing behind this guy last year as well as 1,200 yards the year before." Berrian gives us a guy that will draw double coverage, Madieu W, is a play maker already familiar with Frazier's system, and that Hicks will be a special team monster. Whatever we don't find in FA will be addresessed with the draft. I love the aggressive effort we've come out with getting the guys we need.
    you can't be serious...!!! Berrian, double coverage??.. absolutely not.. maybe sometimes.. but he's not a player that will require double coverage on a consistent basis... atleast not until he suits up and burns people on a consistent basis a few times...

IMO, he's not a #1 receiver.......yet!

he's just a guy that will clear out the zones, bc he can catch, and further help out the run game bc, now you can't stack the box.. but he in no way, imo, will require double coverage...
    he will open things up...

m. williams.. he's a good player with some cover skills, which is why we liked him.. but a play maker??.. not sooo sure about that one either.. decent pick up but as of right now.. he's not an elite player or even one of the better safeties in the league.. plus, he's a little suspect in tackling... that's not good!!!

So basically, you don't like any of the pickups then.
    Who should have they got in this stellar FA market?
    I think we addressed needs.. but to say these guys are elite players or big time upgrades at the position is imo questionable.. with the exception of berrian..

i think he's good.. but i'd still like us to shore up the position with another legit threat.. i know all these guys and analysts think bb was the next best option to Randy moss... but i don't think there's much of a separation between him and other guys like hackett and johnson...

that's why i'd like us to get two.. or draft one high in the draft... but i don't think we will...

IMO, we're ready to win NOW... so by solidifying and making our receiving core as good as possible takes that much more pressure off the running game and therefore making it that much more effective...

Realistically, if we got say a hackett in addition to whom we've already signed, we'd have probably one of the top 5 offenses in the league, behind GB, NE, INDy and SD....

on the safety signing.. he's good but if you read his bio and scouting report, he's a good player with good skills but has yet to utilize them to his full potential...

plus he's a little suspect in run support..

I am happy with the moves we've made..and that we've had one of the better offseasons so far.. but with that said... at this point we're plugging holes by replacing guys with other guys that aren't necessarily significant upgrades over what we had in the first place.. that's all i'm saying... WITH THE EXCEPTION OF RECEIVER>...
    You don't see much difference between the #1 receiver in Chicago and the #3 guy in Arizona? How about the #4 guy in Seattle? I know, we can get the slot guy from Tennessee, oh wait. You can argue that Johnson merely benefitted from playing with Fitz and Boldin, or that Hackett had equally good receivers in Branch, Engram, and Burleson to play with. You can make no such argument on Berrian.

Berrian was the main receiver in Chicago. It's that simple. I wasn't ready to trust the #1 spot to a guy who had 45 catches and 2 TDs, or a guy who had 32 catches. I know Hackett was injured, but because of that injury he has not proven he deserves a #1 role. Berrian has. Johnson is a maybe at best. Is Berrian a stud? No, but he is the best we can do.

If we do go after Hackett, no complaints. He would be a great #4 receiver here.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234