Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Possible DE answers in free agency

[size=13pt]Minnesota Vikings dig deep in search for a defensive end[/size]

Vikings need a pass rusher, but no sure things are out there

By Sean Jensen
    sjensen@pioneerpress.com

Article Last Updated: 03/02/2008 10:30:45 PM CST

The Vikings secured their target players to address two of their three most glaring roster needs. But with defensive end Justin Smith signing a six-year, $45 million contract with the San Francisco 49ers, the Vikings still have at least one vacancy, and they spent much of Sunday reassessing the pool of players....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Color me a silly color of purple but I still think that Odom was a better option than Smith.
    Only concern for me with Odom is that he was coming off of knee injury last year and played as a situational guy (still got 8 sacks).

Positives - He plays LDE (that is were we need a guy right now).
    He was a second round draft pick by the Titans.
    He is coming off his first contract.

I kindof like the upside to Laboy as well.
    Coming off his first contract and had a decent season with respect to sacks (not much in tackles).
    My only concern is he isn't a LDE type of guy but rather a RDE which we have a glut of.

If they draft a guy at 17 (or in the 2nd round for that matter) and pick up Odom at LDE I would be happy with the following lineup next year.

(Still got to get a guy to fill Spencers roster spot that everyone told me wasn't gonna be open cause we were gonna resign him.
    YUTZ's.
    ;D)

RDE
    Edwards/Robison/Grigsby (Rookie)
    DT

Keving/Fred Evans
    DT

Pat/Rookie
    LDE
    Mitchell/Odom (Other Vet)

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"PurpleTide" wrote:

We've made great pick-ups in FA so far, and with patience could still find a Vet at DE, As much as I hate to see Tony R go, Tapeh is younger and has lead Eagles B. Westbrook with a career-best 1,333 yards rushing behind this guy last year as well as 1,200 yards the year before." Berrian gives us a guy that will draw double coverage, Madieu W, is a play maker already familiar with Frazier's system, and that Hicks will be a special team monster. Whatever we don't find in FA will be addresessed with the draft. I love the aggressive effort we've come out with getting the guys we need.
    you can't be serious...!!! Berrian, double coverage??.. absolutely not.. maybe sometimes.. but he's not a player that will require double coverage on a consistent basis... atleast not until he suits up and burns people on a consistent basis a few times...

IMO, he's not a #1 receiver.......yet!

he's just a guy that will clear out the zones, bc he can catch, and further help out the run game bc, now you can't stack the box.. but he in no way, imo, will require double coverage...
    he will open things up...

m. williams.. he's a good player with some cover skills, which is why we liked him.. but a play maker??.. not sooo sure about that one either.. decent pick up but as of right now.. he's not an elite player or even one of the better safeties in the league.. plus, he's a little suspect in tackling... that's not good!!!

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

We've made great pick-ups in FA so far, and with patience could still find a Vet at DE, As much as I hate to see Tony R go, Tapeh is younger and has lead Eagles B. Westbrook with a career-best 1,333 yards rushing behind this guy last year as well as 1,200 yards the year before." Berrian gives us a guy that will draw double coverage, Madieu W, is a play maker already familiar with Frazier's system, and that Hicks will be a special team monster. Whatever we don't find in FA will be addresessed with the draft. I love the aggressive effort we've come out with getting the guys we need.
    you can't be serious...!!! Berrian, double coverage??.. absolutely not.. maybe sometimes.. but he's not a player that will require double coverage on a consistent basis... atleast not until he suits up and burns people on a consistent basis a few times...

he's just a guy that will clear out the zones, bc he can catch, and further help out the run game bc, now you can't stack the box.. but he in no way, imo, will require double coverage...

m. williams.. he's a good player with some cover skills, which is why we liked him.. but a play maker??.. not sooo sure about that one either.. decent pick up but as of right now.. he's not an elite player or even one of the better safeties in the league.. plus, he's a little suspect in tackling... that's not good!!!

So basically, you don't like any of the pickups then.
    Who should have they got in this stellar FA market?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Color me a silly color of purple but I still think that Odom was a better option than Smith.
    Only concern for me with Odom is that he was coming off of knee injury last year and played as a situational guy (still got 8 sacks).

From the article Singer posted above. Who's right?

Odom started on the right side. But at 6 feet 5, 274 pounds, Odom is stout enough to start on the left side. According to nfldraftscout. com, Odom was timed in the 40-yard dash in 4.75 seconds and can provide speed off either edge.

"The" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

From the article Singer posted above. Who's right?

Odom started on the right side. But at 6 feet 5, 274 pounds, Odom is stout enough to start on the left side. According to nfldraftscout. com, Odom was timed in the 40-yard dash in 4.75 seconds and can provide speed off either edge.
    LOL.
    ;D
    You decide.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/...formationId=16
    Base 4-3 D
    POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th
    LDE Antwan Odom
    Travis LaBoy
    Jacob Ford

LDT Tony Brown
    Kevin Vickerson
    Antonio Johnson

RDT Albert Haynesworth
    Randy Starks

RDE Kyle Vanden Bosch
    Bryce Fisher
    Sean Conover

WLB David Thornton
    Rich Scanlon
    Jorge Cordova

MLB Ryan Fowler
    Stephen Tulloch
    Colin Allred

SLB Keith Bulluck
    Gilbert Gardner

CB Nick Harper
    Reynaldo Hill
    Chidi Iwuoma

SS Chris Hope
    Calvin Lowry
    Donnie Nickey

FS Michael Griffin
    Vincent Fuller
    Kelly Herndon

CB Cortland Finnegan
    Eric King
    Kelly Herndon

Truth of the matter is I believe he is best suited at LDE but could also play RDE as well (as we saw Keneche do when Erasmus went down).

Some interesting stuff off the Titan Homepage.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/pla....php?PRKey=199

Led the team with 29 quarterback pressures … Ranked second on the team with eight sacks … Led or tied for the team lead in sacks five times in 2007 (at JAX, vs. ATL, vs. JAX, vs. HST, at IND) … Led or tied for the team lead in quarterback pressures eight times in 2007 (at NO, vs. ATL, at TB, vs. OAK, vs. CAR, vs. JAX, at DEN, at CIN) … Tied for the team lead in passes defensed twice in 2007 (at TB, vs. OAK).
    PRO: Recovered from a season ending knee injury that he suffered last season, the fourth-year veteran will compete for the starting job at defensive end in 2007.
    A solid pass rusher that can get off of the edge and get to the quarterback, Odom will be a force on a deep defensive line.
    In 2006, Odom played in four games with two starts and posted 15 tackles, 0.5 sacks, four quarterback pressures and two tackles for a loss.
    In 2005, Odom played in all 16 games and set new career-highs with nine starts, 50 tackles, two sacks, 13 quarterback pressures, two tackles for loss, one fumble forced and two fumble recoveries that he returned for touchdowns.
    Odom led the rookie class in 2004 with 11 quarterback pressures and was second behind Randy Starks with 43 tackles.
    He also contributed two sacks, one tackle for loss, three passes defensed and one forced fumble.
    In pre-drafts workouts, he ran a 4.75-second 40-yard dash, bench pressed 225 pounds 21 times and displayed a 37-inch vertical leap.
    He was drafted with the team’s third pick of the second round (57th overall) in the 2004 NFL Draft.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

So basically, you don't like any of the pickups then.
    Who should have they got in this stellar FA market?
    I think we addressed needs.. but to say these guys are elite players or big time upgrades at the position is imo questionable.. with the exception of berrian..

i think he's good.. but i'd still like us to shore up the position with another legit threat.. i know all these guys and analysts think bb was the next best option to Randy moss... but i don't think there's much of a separation between him and other guys like hackett and johnson...

that's why i'd like us to get two.. or draft one high in the draft... but i don't think we will...

IMO, we're ready to win NOW... so by solidifying and making our receiving core as good as possible takes that much more pressure off the running game and therefore making it that much more effective...

Realistically, if we got say a hackett in addition to whom we've already signed, we'd have probably one of the top 5 offenses in the league, behind GB, NE, INDy and SD....

on the safety signing.. he's good but if you read his bio and scouting report, he's a good player with good skills but has yet to utilize them to his full potential...

plus he's a little suspect in run support..

I am happy with the moves we've made..and that we've had one of the better offseasons so far.. but with that said... at this point we're plugging holes by replacing guys with other guys that aren't necessarily significant upgrades over what we had in the first place.. that's all i'm saying... WITH THE EXCEPTION OF RECEIVER>...

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Well right now it looks like their are only three options left to address DE pre draft

1 Try to sign Grandpa Kearse

2 Resign Darrion Scott

3 Attempt to pay two first round picks and make a run at Jared Allen

I don't count Jason Taylor as the latest news is he is not available.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

IMO the talent left isn't that great. However, the draft is deep and that can be good for 2 reasons.

1) At 17 there could be a very talented DL sitting there for us to draft who can be ready to roll for game #1. And they will cost us less than the FA's who may not be as gifted will.

2) Due to the depth of talent at DE in the draft, there is a good chance a few veterans will get cut when a younger,cheaper DE is drafted because the team will need to create a roster spot and cap room.

We will be able to solidify the DE position this year.

Also, Erasmus has a possibility of being back for the opener and as long as things go as planned, he can add more talent to the line.

ktarinze is offline Rookie

bring him in we need a DE for at least a year or 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast