Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Positions at which the Vikings still need help

The Vikings addressed a variety of needs with 10 picks during this weekend's NFL draft. Here are three positions at which they did not make many or any significant additions:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/121065174.html

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Positions at which the Vikings still need help

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1095906

The Vikings addressed a variety of needs with 10 picks during this weekend's NFL draft. Here are three positions at which they did not make many or any significant additions:

Thanks for the read my friend. Good to see the Newshound back in action.

This guy is a tool......

Saftey.....
    For now, the starters remain Husain Abdullah and Madieu Williams, with Tyrell Johnson and Jamarca Sanford presenting the most serious challenges.
    Obviously he doesn't have a clue who is actually under contract and who isn't.

Additionally, he doesn't seem to have a clue when he discounts the young cats cause they might play CB or S. Someone should tell him our scheme actually uses only FS's (doesn't use a SS) and most of our CB's also can play S.

NT.
    Christian Ballard from Iowa but at 6-4, 298 pounds, he figures to be behind Kevin Williams at the 3-technique position.
    I'm getting the feeling we aren't going to use a NT anymore but rather, we will see a scheme shift both at the DL as well as the DB levels as we tweak the C2 to the "Zone/Press" look that is starting to become more prevalent throught out the league.

Not sure I agree with it, but thats my feeling at this point.

On a side note, if I'm wrong, then the only other option (cause they passed on some damn good NT/UT's) is that Guion has beefed up a bit this offseason in an attempt to assume that role.

Lord knows we've watched JK and Evans try to fill it and they sucked miserably at it, to the point, that they had to put K-dubb over there for most of the reps that Phat Pat missed.

DE.
    In fact, the Vikings did not select a defensive end until the seventh round when they took Arizona's D'Aundre Reed, who likely will end up on the practice squad.

So what happened? Either the Vikings believe Brian Robison, signed to a three-year, $14.1 million deal just before the lockout, is ready to start,
    First, we have a glut of DE's. Second, D'Aundre Reed will compete for the SAM, not LDE. Third, Rob is not an everydown LDE. We saw that when Ray went down in the past. Thats why they drafted Griff and brought in Mr. Awasom.

My guess, they will continue to use Rob as a situational pass rusher (he does best when his legs are fresh) and will either start Griff if Ray isn't back this season.

Again, this cat is a yutz.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095924

This guy is a tool......

Saftey.....
    For now, the starters remain Husain Abdullah and Madieu Williams, with Tyrell Johnson and Jamarca Sanford presenting the most serious challenges.

Additionally, he doesn't seem to have a clue when he discounts the young cats cause they might play CB or S. Someone should tell him our scheme actually uses only FS's (doesn't use a SS) and most of our CB's also can play S.
    GOnna comment on that.

Previously, yes, we've used the two-FS method of running the C-2.

However, if you look around the league, many cover two teams do use the Strong Safety, allowing them more flexibility when it comes to what they call.

They say Dungy ran the best cover-2, but when you look at the teams he's had, he always used a strong safety. Tampa had John Lynch, Indy had Bob Sanders. Both were physical guys who played close to the line and laid the wood.

We however, play two free safeties, who until Hussein started, had all sucked at tackling, and became a liability. what I'd really like to see is a physical guy who can still cover. Someone smart enough to recognize when he needs to get back and play the pass, but can also support the run.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095926
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095924

This guy is a tool......

Saftey.....

GOnna comment on that.

Previously, yes, we've used the two-FS method of running the C-2.

However, if you look around the league, many cover two teams do use the Strong Safety, allowing them more flexibility when it comes to what they call.

They say Dungy ran the best cover-2, but when you look at the teams he's had, he always used a strong safety. Tampa had John Lynch, Indy had Bob Sanders. Both were physical guys who played close to the line and laid the wood.

We however, play two free safeties, who until Hussein started, had all sucked at tackling, and became a liability. what I'd really like to see is a physical guy who can still cover. Someone smart enough to recognize when he needs to get back and play the pass, but can also support the run.
    You actually think Bob Sanders is a SS? And the Lynch comparison, although it works for that timeframe, doesn't even apply to this timeframe because no one runs the T2 like it was originally drafted up anymore, noone.

Seriously, it isn't like the came up with the T2 and its stayed that way. It morphed into the C2 which in itself has 3 or 4 different varaints.

Think about it this way, with the advent of multiple WR sets, you are starting to see less and less of a SS and the SLB on the field. What are they replacing them with.....FS's and big physical CB's. That equates to flexibility.

Sure, you loose a bit in the tackling aspect, but if your front line does its damn job that is covered up.

Trust me, when you run a C4, C6 or a C8 you don't want SS's or SLB'rs on the field. They give you no flexibility at all.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

so what, SS is a dead position too?

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095934
    so what, SS is a dead position too?
    No, I don't think so, but if you think about it with respect to how teams will be running more spread formations on offense, who comes off the field....., a slow SLB and a slow SS, geared to stop the run, won't be as much in demand.

When I was studying our new guys, I kindof watched the DB's and LB'rs sets in as they went against the spread offenses.

You can especially see this on some of the clips out there on Rahim Moore. Those cats run a bunch of C4/C6 stuff.

Blog Entries

SS don't have to be slow. Looking at alot of the younger, but still hard hitting SS"s coming out of the draft in recent years

Laron Landry: 4.35
    Taylor Mays: Sub-4.3
    Sean Taylor: 4.4
    Eric Berry: 4.4

I just looked at a few, but all of them are strong, physical players, all of them are very fast.

As for your SLB, Isn't Ben often out in our nickel package?

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095946
    SS don't have to be slow. Looking at alot of the younger, but still hard hitting SS"s coming out of the draft in recent years

I just looked at a few, but all of them are strong, physical players, all of them are very fast.

He is out on them.

Quick question, how many Laron Landry's or Taylor Mays did you see in this draft? If you go through the class this year, you will see most of them are CB/FS kindof cats. Same thing applied last year and the year before.

Teams at the collegiate level aren't gearing up to stop the run my friend, they are gearing up to stop the pass. I see the same thing happening at the NFL level.

Again, the discussion they had on the NFLN that I've refered to several times, was quite interesting as it discussed all these little things in some nice detail.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095949

He is out on them.

Quick question, how many Laron Landry's or Taylor Mays did you see in this draft? If you go through the class this year, you will see most of them are CB/FS kindof cats. Same thing applied last year and the year before.
    I'm going to stop you right there and let you know the year before, there WAS a Taylor May in the draft. his name was TAylor May.

Teams at the collegiate level aren't gearing up to stop the run my friend, they are gearing up to stop the pass. I see the same thing happening at the NFL level.
    Yes, and that's why a guy fast, physical guy shoudl be important. Do you think the Redskins would rather have Sean Taylor or Darren Sharper? I'd say Sean Taylor, since they went out and drafted a replica right after he died.

A guy obviously needs to be able to cover, since that should be a safety's #1 priority. Reason why guys like Roy Williams aren't very useful in todays game. However, a guy who can get in there and jam a ball loose, as well as step up and play the run is extremely valuable.

Just look at 2009. On defense, we played decent run D, and ok pass D on the outside and short, but where we sucked was when the receiver got past the LB's up the middle. Our Safeties couldn't make a tackle or get in a position to play the ball to save their lives. We let up many huge gains right up the seam because of that. Packers and Steelers games stand out to me, but there were others. Last year it wasn't so bad because we finally got a guy who could play the position.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095951
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095949

He is out on them.

I'm going to stop you right there and let you know the year before, there WAS a Taylor May in the draft. his name was TAylor May.

Yes, and that's why a guy fast, physical guy shoudl be important. Do you think the Redskins would rather have Sean Taylor or Darren Sharper? I'd say Sean Taylor, since they went out and drafted a replica right after he died.

A guy obviously needs to be able to cover, since that should be a safety's #1 priority. Reason why guys like Roy Williams aren't very useful in todays game. However, a guy who can get in there and jam a ball loose, as well as step up and play the run is extremely valuable.

Just look at 2009. On defense, we played decent run D, and ok pass D on the outside and short, but where we sucked was when the receiver got past the LB's up the middle. Our Safeties couldn't make a tackle or get in a position to play the ball to save their lives. We let up many huge gains right up the seam because of that. Packers and Steelers games stand out to me, but there were others. Last year it wasn't so bad because we finally got a guy who could play the position.
    Its a tradeoff my friend. You either go light and stop the pass or go heavy and not stop the pass.

By the way, if your Front 4 do their damn jobs the S's in the C2 aren't making takles as their first priority. Their first priority is to read their zones, against the pass.

If you were to break it down, you would see that is what they are doing and in most cases, why they are out of position to make a takle. Cause the coaching staff had a Pass play called when the team Ran on.

Kindof explains why JA was caught upfield so much all the time last year rushing the passer when they ran right through the gap he just opened up.

When that happens, Chad (out of position as he drops to his pass responsibility zone) and the S (out of position as he drops to his pass responsibliity zone) are so late to get to the runner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast