Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Ponder and Webb learning from a vet...

http://blog.vikings.com/2011/05/23/mn-native-chris-weinke-working-with-ponder-webb/

Chris Weinke seems to have been working with Ponder and Webb. Seems like what this work is really doing is teaching them how to prepare for games and study offense. Ponder is putting in a lot of work, so is Webb this is going to be a great QB competition
    None

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Ponder and Webb learning from a vet...

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Joe Webb Talks Simplified Verbiage

“The verbiage is a lot shorter,” Webb said of the new system. “With Coach Musgrave’s, it allows you to play fast. You just call at the most three, four words and you have a whole play.
    This week the new teammates have been working out together in Florida with Chris Weinke, and are already getting along smashingly, if you believe Webb.

“A real cool guy,” Webb said of his initial Ponder impressions. “We’re just trying to get to know each other on a personal level. It was fun meeting him for the first time.”
    Joe Webb likes Bill Musgrave’s simpler offense

Joe Webb sees one big advantage in the Vikings new offense under offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave compared to last year’s attack led by Brad Childress and Darrell Bevell....

Apparently Webb shared one of Brett Favre’s concerns last year and thought the offense may have been overcomplicated.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Apparently Webb shared one of Brett Favre’s concerns last year and thought the offense may have been overcomplicated.
    I've said it was too complicated before, especially at the LOS.

Kind of curious that in the middle of a lockout Webb is first now stating the offense is much simpler.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1098229

Kind of curious that in the middle of a lockout Webb is first now stating the offense is much simpler.
    Webb's was referring to calling the plays in the huddle with the verbiage

“The verbiage is a lot shorter,” Webb said of the new system. “With Coach Musgrave’s, it allows you to play fast. You just call at the most three, four words and you have a whole play. It just allows you to not worry about calling the play but worry about executing the play. Last year I was more worried about getting the play called right in the huddle so everyone knew what to do. It also affected my game on the field.”

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1098240
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1098229

Webb's was referring to calling the plays in the huddle with the verbiage

“The verbiage is a lot shorter,” Webb said of the new system. “With Coach Musgrave’s, it allows you to play fast. You just call at the most three, four words and you have a whole play. It just allows you to not worry about calling the play but worry about executing the play. Last year I was more worried about getting the play called right in the huddle so everyone knew what to do. It also affected my game on the field.”
    If it affected his game on the field and Favre thought it was too complicated as well, it would have to have affected all QB's & other players as well.

What we had here was Reid's clip board holder, Favre's former "atta boy back patter" QB coach in GB & a couple of Chilldress' good buddies trying to run Childress' version of a WCO & complicated blocking scheme.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Webb I can understand having problems with the verbiage, but the Noodle?

Comeon guys, at somepoint almost all of you were telling me he was smarter than the coaches and was running the offense all by himself.

Now your pissing and moaning about how hard it was for him.

Truth of the matter is, the WCO offense is a very complicated offense to call in the huddle as well as make adjustments at the line so I am glad to hear Musgrove is going to simplyfy things. Only makes sense considering he is going to have a rookie as his starter, a 2nd year man as his backup and a mid tier vet there as the third stringer only to help the two youngsters prep for games.

On a side note, all of you who wanted Chucky as the HC would have been even more pissed when you heard/hear how hard his offense is to call for QB's. Judging by Chucky himself, and the cats on NFLN, his WCO variant is the toughest to get down of all of them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098259
    Wait a minute, wait a minute. Webb I can understand having problems with the verbiage, but the Noodle?

Comeon guys, at somepoint almost all of you were telling me he was smarter than the coaches and was running the offense all by himself.

Truth of the matter is, the WCO offense is a very complicated offense to call in the huddle as well as make adjustments at the line so I am glad to hear Musgrove is going to simplyfy things. Only makes sense considering he is going to have a rookie as his starter, a 2nd year man as his backup and a mid tier vet there as the third stringer only to help the two youngsters prep for games.

On a side note, all of you who wanted Chucky as the HC would have been even more pissed when you heard/hear how hard his offense is to call for QB's. Judging by Chucky himself, and the cats on NFLN, his WCO variant is the toughest to get down of all of them.
    Farve was smarter than the coaches.
    Shoot, Terry Bradshaw was probably smarter than our coaches and he was not considered bright by anyones standards when he was playing.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1098262

Farve was smarter than the coaches.
    Shoot, Terry Bradshaw was probably smarter than our coaches and he was not considered bright by anyones standards when he was playing.
    OK, so if that is a fact, why is everyone now saying that he struggled with the verbiage? :unsure:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The noodle thought all the player personnel packages were too complicated for the young guys to be able to execute proficiently and that made him spend too much time in the huddle telling guys what to do.

Yep. But he shouldn't have had to also teach the players what to do and where to be.

Now your pissing and moaning about how hard it was for him

Your take, not everyones.

It's as complicated as the staff makes it. There was plenty of room for Childress to do the same things Musgrave is doing but he chose not to.

Which is a big reason he is now on TV and not the sidelines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast