Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: Ponder plans on working out with Harvin/ Rice

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097693
    Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1097677
    Well at least he is trying to get work done. Kid does not even have a contract yet.
    What happens if he gets hurt doing so without a contract?

He has had a history of shoulder & elbow injuries dating back to high school & in both his junior & senior year of college.
    I don't think he's practicing with Rice, Harvin, and Jared Allen. He'll be fine, and if he gets hurt throwing a football it might as well happen sooner rather than later, before he gets a huge contract.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Well at least he is trying to get work done. Kid does not even have a contract yet.

He has had a history of shoulder & elbow injuries dating back to high school & in both his junior & senior year of college.
    I haven't seen any reports of problems in high school with his shoulder and his elbow, I thought the elbow was a 2010 injury to bursa sac that he keep reinjuring, do you have any links to more in depth info? I have seen the 2009 and 2010 reports.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097704
    Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1097698
    Don't rookies show up to OTAs? Training Camp is where you hold out if injury becomes a concern... Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought it was like that? I don't think Ponder is going to get hurt with the same preparation he's been using since he decided to enter the draft... I'm sure its to get to know one another work on chemistry, nothing strenuous...
    I don't know to what level he's slinging the ball, just curious as to what happens if he throws his shoulder or elbow out chucking the ball.

How did all his injuries occur before? If he does do something, he's damaged goods before signing a contract.
    I'd imagine if they couldn't trust him to throw the ball without hurting himself, they wouldn't have drafted him so high. I believe his injuries are a result of being hit, either having the arm wrenched back, or landing on it funny. Running routes and throwing balls, walking through plays shouldn't hurt your quarterback, and IF he does throw his arm out, it would be no different than you or me throwing our arm out. ice it, take it easy for a few days and you're good to go.

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Correct, if you watch his play as a college player, when he ran the ball, he turned into a RB. His shoulder injury in 09 was from throwing his body at Deandre Mcdaniel. This kid is tough, don't forget he played that game with bruised ribs and I would assume it effected the way he played. His other injury (elbow) was a misdiagnoses apparently from what I remember reading. That was part of the reason the injury riddled him throughout the season... He didn't have to play those games at all. None of his injuries have been non contact so I'd assume he's going to be fine.
    None

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I guess we would not have to sign him then. And if he get hurt off the job, you would not have insurance on it. I am sure all of the NFL players right now are trying to be as careful as they can so they don't pull a Chad Pennington and blow their knee out playing pick up basketball.
    We're bringing purple back.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I don't think he'll sustain any injuries from him throwing the football. And if he does, then it was most likely a matter of when, not if, the injury happens. At least that would allow us to pursue someone in free agency or give Webb the heads up that he's starting. But IMO it's all a moot point. I just hope he doesn't get injured in the Super Bowl post game celebrations for the 2012-13 season.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1097885
    I don't think he'll sustain any injuries from him throwing the football. And if he does, then it was most likely a matter of when, not if, the injury happens. At least that would allow us to pursue someone in free agency or give Webb the heads up that he's starting. But IMO it's all a moot point. I just hope he doesn't get injured in the Super Bowl post game celebrations for the 2012-13 season.
    Well he won't be playing in that game...
    We're bringing purple back.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

How Much Are The Vikings Hurt By The Lockout?

At the bottom of his list is the Minnesota Vikings, though they're essentially tied for last with the Titans.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2011/5/20/2180855/how-much-are-the-vikings-hurt-by-the-lockout

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1098018

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2011/5/20/2180855/how-much-are-the-vikings-hurt-by-the-lockout
    I'm more inclined to agree with LB A.J. Hawk that these sessions don't accomplish much without the coaches organizing them. If Christian Ponder really wants to help the Vikings in 2011, he'll make sure he avoids a holdout at all cost
    +1

If he holds out too long, he shouldn't start.

AJ Hawk was spot on about the coaches & Cowherd/Gotlieb had similar sentiments.

If Ponder has/develops any bad habits or makes mistakes during the workouts (if they even have them) there are no coaches there to correct them & he'll keep doing them over & over again up until the time the lockout ends & he has the benefit of the coaches & hopefully a veteran QB to help him develop.

At that point & time the coaches/vet QB will have to spend more time breaking him of his bad habit(s) & repeated mistakes & there will be a new learning curve in getting it right.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1098020
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1098018

I'm more inclined to agree with LB A.J. Hawk that these sessions don't accomplish much without the coaches organizing them. If Christian Ponder really wants to help the Vikings in 2011, he'll make sure he avoids a holdout at all cost
    +1

If he holds out too long, he shouldn't start.

AJ Hawk was spot on about the coaches & Cowherd/Gotlieb had similar sentiments.

If Ponder has/develops any bad habits or makes mistakes during the workouts (if they even have them) there are no coaches there to correct them & he'll keep doing them over & over again up until the time the lockout ends & he has the benefit of the coaches & hopefully a veteran QB to help him develop.

At that point & time the coaches/vet QB will have to spend more time breaking him of his bad habit(s) & repeated mistakes & there will be a new learning curve in getting it right.
    I think I had this same discussion with Marr in the thread about Webb wanting to set up workouts for the offense, without the coaches being there what they could end up seeing when the lockout ends could easily be a different variation of the playbook due to selftaught errors or bad habits. Another item or issue that could also occur the players don't have the proper access to the team trainers and depending on where they workout treatment facilities like cold tubs may not be available. What could end up happening is a small tweak that a guy gets doesn't get tended too or properly diagnosed and could it could develop into a nagging problem, this is something that could be more serious for a guy like Kyle Rudolph with his hamstring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12