Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Players To Draft At #12

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1094982
    Draft day so here's mine.

    There are 4 critical areas every team needs filled.
    1. QB
    2. LT
    3. Pass rush (end, tackle,or linebacker)
    4. CB that cover (yes, even in a base cover 2 he gives you so many more options, can cut the field in half as well as shut down the opponants best receiver.)

    If you are missing any of those, that's the place to start.

    How strong are the Vikings in these 4 areas?

    There are 4 outstanding players atop this years draft board.
    1.Marcell Dareus
    2.Patrick Peterson
    3.Von Miller
    4.AJ Green

    They will be gone in the first 5-7 picks.

    There are several more who could also be great but may carry a little more risk.
    Listed in no particular order.
    5.Julio Jones
    6.Robert Quinn
    7.Nick Fairley
    8.Prince Amakamara
    9.Da'Quan Bowers (If his knee checks out)
    10.Tyron Smith
    11.Cameron Jordon
    12.JJ Watt
    13.Aldon Smith
    14.Corey Liuget
    15.Ryan Kerrigan

    Now throw in the 2 QB's that are likely to go before the 12th pick and it is evident the Vikings will have the opportunity to get a very good player at 12.

    I would take one of the players between 5-15 with the 12th pick.

    I would target Kaepernick with my second pick.
    I know he's developmental, but in my mind, so are the rest.

    The only QB I would take in the first is Newton if for some crazy reason he slid down close to us. Would I move up to get him? Yes.

    So there is my crazy draft day scheme.

    I still expect the Vikings to take Locker at 12. His accuracy issues seem troubling to me though.
    Not a bad perspective Jargo. I think this year's draft has more "risk" players than usual, making it tough for the guys picking in the middle of round 1 where you really expect to get a solid pick.

    Even though I hunger for a QB pick in the first round, if put in the position to make the pick. I think I would go for what I felt was the safer pick of the available guys.

    In my mind that leaves out guys like Locker, Bowers, and Tyron Smith. there are a lot of DE's in the mix, so more than likely a quality guy will be available to us (Quinn, Watt, Jordan). Like you said early in your post, the value of a pass rusher can not be underestimated and if you feel these guys give us a significant upgrade, then go for it.

    I like Prince, but have a hard time seeing us picking him at #12..wouldn't be disappointed though. I'm also a fan of Julio Jones, but that would mean we must target a FA at QB.

    Just from the way this draft seems to be playing out in most people's mocks, I'm going to predict we snag a DE as the BPA. Or possibly a move down in the first and snag Locker/Dalton while snagging an extra pick.

    All that changes if a guy like Newton or Gabbert fall a bit, which would not surprise me. If Carolina goes with Dareus, I'm not so sure that Cam doesn't fall down a fair amount, making him reachable for MN. He's a fairly high risk, but might be worth it. Musgrave can implement the KISS offense he's always dreamed of.

  2. #12
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916

    Re: Players To Draft At #12

    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1094981
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1094979
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1094893
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1094883
    there are many more that will not be there I would be happy with (i.e. A.J. Green, Von Miller, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson).
    Why oh why would you want Cam Newton? I wouldn't even want Blaine Gabbert. Funny that the only QBs I'm completely opposed to drafting are the top two. Newton is a project then a bust, in that order. Gabbert is just an overhyped QB because they needed one. I will actually be unhappy if we draft either of them. If they fall to us, TRADE TRADE TRADE.
    Why would you want a QB that completed 66% of his passes?
    Why would you want a Qb that was responsible for over 50TDS?
    Why would you want a QB with no hiccups in his throwing motion?
    Why would you want a QB that can make all the throws?

    The guy can ball and will at the next level.
    Did you want Vince Young too?

    I admit, Newton is more NFL ready than Young, definitely smarter(it's hard not to be) and throws the ball much better.

    But they both came from super friendly QB systems in college which allowed them to play on athleticism alone.

    I don't know how quickly Newton will be ready to play in the NFL, and I fear that the process of becoming an NFL QB mentally will get to him and kill his confidence. The fans will demand him on the field way before he's ready, then when he gets out there and makes a dozen rookie mistakes and the media starts talking I can see him having a major freak out, he let himself slip with the "entertainer" comment at the combine, what's he going to say with some real adversity?
    Kill Newtons confidence? If there is one area that you don't have to work about with Newton is Confidence.

    Vince young and Cam are two different beast. Vince is no where as fast, nor is he as strong and as built as Cam. Cam has no hitches in his throwing motion. Vince has a 3/4 delivery. Vince has be come a bit of a head case but consider something for a second.

    1) He winning % is damn good at 663 which translate to a 10 win season.
    2) He played with a lack of talent around him on offense. A below average TE. No credible Wrs. Only his RB is a weapon. Yet he still pulled out games.

    So if I can take the best of Vince young and have it as a QB, while not worrying about the head issues... I'll take it.

  3. #13
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916

    Re: Players To Draft At #12

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1094982
    Draft day so here's mine.

    There are 4 critical areas every team needs filled.
    1. QB
    2. LT
    3. Pass rush (end, tackle,or linebacker)
    4. CB that cover (yes, even in a base cover 2 he gives you so many more options, can cut the field in half as well as shut down the opponants best receiver.)

    If you are missing any of those, that's the place to start.

    How strong are the Vikings in these 4 areas?

    There are 4 outstanding players atop this years draft board.
    1.Marcell Dareus
    2.Patrick Peterson
    3.Von Miller
    4.AJ Green

    They will be gone in the first 5-7 picks.

    There are several more who could also be great but may carry a little more risk.
    Listed in no particular order.
    5.Julio Jones
    6.Robert Quinn
    7.Nick Fairley
    8.Prince Amakamara
    9.Da'Quan Bowers (If his knee checks out)
    10.Tyron Smith
    11.Cameron Jordon
    12.JJ Watt
    13.Aldon Smith
    14.Corey Liuget
    15.Ryan Kerrigan

    Now throw in the 2 QB's that are likely to go before the 12th pick and it is evident the Vikings will have the opportunity to get a very good player at 12.

    I would take one of the players between 5-15 with the 12th pick.

    I would target Kaepernick with my second pick.
    I know he's developmental, but in my mind, so are the rest.

    The only QB I would take in the first is Newton if for some crazy reason he slid down close to us. Would I move up to get him? Yes.

    So there is my crazy draft day scheme.

    I still expect the Vikings to take Locker at 12. His accuracy issues seem troubling to me though.
    Colin is a bust. His throwing motion is too slow and elongated to be effective. He simply does not have the velocity on his throws to be an NFL QB.

  4. #14
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,473

    Re: Players To Draft At #12

    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1095012
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1094981
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1094979
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1094893
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1094883
    there are many more that will not be there I would be happy with (i.e. A.J. Green, Von Miller, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson).
    Why oh why would you want Cam Newton? I wouldn't even want Blaine Gabbert. Funny that the only QBs I'm completely opposed to drafting are the top two. Newton is a project then a bust, in that order. Gabbert is just an overhyped QB because they needed one. I will actually be unhappy if we draft either of them. If they fall to us, TRADE TRADE TRADE.
    Why would you want a QB that completed 66% of his passes?
    Why would you want a Qb that was responsible for over 50TDS?
    Why would you want a QB with no hiccups in his throwing motion?
    Why would you want a QB that can make all the throws?

    The guy can ball and will at the next level.
    Did you want Vince Young too?

    I admit, Newton is more NFL ready than Young, definitely smarter(it's hard not to be) and throws the ball much better.

    But they both came from super friendly QB systems in college which allowed them to play on athleticism alone.

    I don't know how quickly Newton will be ready to play in the NFL, and I fear that the process of becoming an NFL QB mentally will get to him and kill his confidence. The fans will demand him on the field way before he's ready, then when he gets out there and makes a dozen rookie mistakes and the media starts talking I can see him having a major freak out, he let himself slip with the "entertainer" comment at the combine, what's he going to say with some real adversity?
    Kill Newtons confidence? If there is one area that you don't have to work about with Newton is Confidence.

    Vince young and Cam are two different beast. Vince is no where as fast, nor is he as strong and as built as Cam. Cam has no hitches in his throwing motion. Vince has a 3/4 delivery. Vince has be come a bit of a head case but consider something for a second.

    1) He winning % is damn good at 663 which translate to a 10 win season.
    2) He played with a lack of talent around him on offense. A below average TE. No credible Wrs. Only his RB is a weapon. Yet he still pulled out games.

    So if I can take the best of Vince young and have it as a QB, while not worrying about the head issues... I'll take it.


    And if I can have a hot 18-20 yr old nympho with a fetish for fat, old, married men,.....I'll take it.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  5. #15
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,778

    Re: Players To Draft At #12

    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1095017
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1095012
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1094981
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1094979
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1094893
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1094883
    there are many more that will not be there I would be happy with (i.e. A.J. Green, Von Miller, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson).
    Why oh why would you want Cam Newton? I wouldn't even want Blaine Gabbert. Funny that the only QBs I'm completely opposed to drafting are the top two. Newton is a project then a bust, in that order. Gabbert is just an overhyped QB because they needed one. I will actually be unhappy if we draft either of them. If they fall to us, TRADE TRADE TRADE.
    Why would you want a QB that completed 66% of his passes?
    Why would you want a Qb that was responsible for over 50TDS?
    Why would you want a QB with no hiccups in his throwing motion?
    Why would you want a QB that can make all the throws?

    The guy can ball and will at the next level.
    Did you want Vince Young too?

    I admit, Newton is more NFL ready than Young, definitely smarter(it's hard not to be) and throws the ball much better.

    But they both came from super friendly QB systems in college which allowed them to play on athleticism alone.

    I don't know how quickly Newton will be ready to play in the NFL, and I fear that the process of becoming an NFL QB mentally will get to him and kill his confidence. The fans will demand him on the field way before he's ready, then when he gets out there and makes a dozen rookie mistakes and the media starts talking I can see him having a major freak out, he let himself slip with the "entertainer" comment at the combine, what's he going to say with some real adversity?
    Kill Newtons confidence? If there is one area that you don't have to work about with Newton is Confidence.

    Vince young and Cam are two different beast. Vince is no where as fast, nor is he as strong and as built as Cam. Cam has no hitches in his throwing motion. Vince has a 3/4 delivery. Vince has be come a bit of a head case but consider something for a second.

    1) He winning % is damn good at 663 which translate to a 10 win season.
    2) He played with a lack of talent around him on offense. A below average TE. No credible Wrs. Only his RB is a weapon. Yet he still pulled out games.

    So if I can take the best of Vince young and have it as a QB, while not worrying about the head issues... I'll take it.


    And if I can have a hot 18-20 yr old nympho with a fetish for fat, old, married men,.....I'll take it.
    so far she's at the top of my board

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x76Ep...eature=related

  6. #16
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Players To Draft At #12

    Of the most realistic picks I can see falling to #12, I would be most comfortable with Jake Locker, Julio Jones, and Prince Amukamara (and Jones would be superfluous if Rice returns).

    It would be hard to turn down Dareus or Peterson if they fell. Same for Gabbert. I also probably wouldn't too upset with Mallett, though his slow feet concern me.

    I don't really see a need for a DE right now. Would Miller fit in our defense? Are any of the OL really worthy of picking at #12?
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings eliminate 78 players from draft list
    By kevoncox in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM
  2. LSU supplies 7 players in '08 draft
    By Prophet in forum College Ball
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 11:17 PM
  3. DRAFT 2007: Profiles of the top players by position
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 06:43 AM
  4. Sleeper players in this years draft
    By davike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 01:37 PM
  5. If You Draft Defensive Players In Your Draft..
    By Benet in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 11:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •