Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Player to watch: Babatunde Oshinowo

[size=18px]Player to watch[/size]

Last update: April 24, 2006 – 8:08 PM

BABATUNDE OSHINOWO
    Stanford, senior, defensive tackle

Height, weight: 6-2, 304

Strengths: Compact and strong. Bench presses 510 pounds and squats 675. Never missed a game because of injury, starting the last 34 in college. Smart player. Working on his master's in electrical engineering.

Weaknesses: NFLdraftscout.com considers him to be limited when it comes to making plays laterally. Led the Cardinal in tackles for loss in 2005 (10.5), but most of those came at the point of attack.

• • •

On Jan. 14, 1983, Babatunde Oluwasegun Temitope Oluwakorede Adisa Oshinowo Jr. was born in Columbus, Ohio.

Huh?

"It's Nigerian," Oshinowo said when asked about his 53-letter name. "Each of the grandparents, you know, when the child is born, they're like, 'I'm going to call him this.' They have their own names. So all those names are from my grandparents and other family members."

Oshinowo said he didn't learn his full name until he was 10 or 11. As a freshman at Stanford he went by the name "O.J." to make it easier on friends.

Oshinowo, a strong run-stopper projected as a second-round draft pick on Saturday, is a bit of a Renaissance man.

His parents left Nigeria for Oxford University, where they met and were educated. Then they moved to the United States so that his father could further his education.

Oshinowo has several academic honors. He also was the jazz band section leader (trombone) and wind symphony orchestra leader (baritone) in high school.

And, oh yeah, he's also considered a chief in Nigeria.

"It's because of my grandfather," Oshinowo said. "My grandfather -- he's an important figure in the town and a well-respected individual -- like a chief. My mother is his first child."

MARK CRAIG

VIKINGS UPDATE

Vikings scouts and coaches have convened this week at Winter Park to make make final preparations for the draft. Although the team is attempting to shroud its deliberations in secrecy, it seems clear that defensive tackles, such as Oshinowo, are not high on their priority list. Pat and Kevin Williams are locked into the position as starters, and C.J. Mosley was more than a competent backup last season.

[i]KEVIN SEIFERT

LEAGUE CHATTER

UCLA running back Maurice Drew had a 322-yard rushing game, is an outstanding punt returner and ran a 4.39 40 at the scouting combine. But he's 5-63/4 , "too small" for the NFL. Or is he? The top three rushers in league history are Emmitt Smith (5-9), Walter Payton (5-10) and Barry Sanders (5-8).

Player to watch

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Player to watch: Babatunde Oshinowo

Abatunde Oluwasegun Temitope Oluwakorede Adisa Oshinowo Jr.

Awesome name.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:

Awesome name.
    Try fitting that name on the back of a jersey. :grin:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Dis palooka is only rated tenth in the DT class, y'know? How come youse mugs don't get interested in anyone in da top five, hah?

Anyways, here he is.
    ===============================================
    Babatunde Oshinowo
    DT | (6'1", 304, 5.34) | STANFORD

Scouts Grade: 71

Strengths: Is a thick, well-built two-gap DT/NT prospect. Possesses a very good combination of size and strength. Plays with good balance and body control. Comes out of his stance low and will show good leverage when he's fresh. He has the brute strength to anchor at the POA and is at his best clogging gaps in the running game. He can occupy two blockers and protect his LB's. He has a strong bull rush and shows the ability to occasionally collapse the pocket as a pass rusher. He never missed a game due to injury in college. Is a durable player and consistent performer. Very good student and intelligent young man.

Weaknesses: Is not a good athlete. Possess marginal speed and lateral mobility. Still needs to improve his hand usage. Struggles to disengage from blocks on time. Will not make a lot of plays versus the run. Does not show good range in pursuit or the ability to consistently penetrate upfield. He takes poor angles and is a below average tackler in space. Very much a one-dimensional pass rusher with limited agility, COD skills and array of moves. Will likely never emerge as anything more than a two-down run-plugger in the NFL.

Overall: Oshinowo redshirted in 2001. He played in all 11 games and started one at the NT position in 2002. He moved into a fulltime starting role at NT as a sophomore in 2003, when he started all 11games and finished with 25 tackles, eight tackles for loss and four sacks. He remained a fulltime starter as a junior in 2004 and finished with 41 tackles, 5.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks. Oshinowo started all 11 games as a senior in 2005 and finished with 54 tackles, 10.5 TFL and 4.5 sacks. Oshinowo is not a great athlete and he is never going to emerge as a playmaker in the NFL. He has limited range versus the run and he is a one-dimensional pass rusher who shows very little upside in that area. However, Oshinowo is an attractive prospect because of his size and strength as a two-gap NT or DT. With so many teams moving to 3-4 (or hybrids of) in the NFL, a two-down run-plugger like Oshinowo is in high demand. That's why it wouldn't be surprising to see Oshinowo come off the 2006 draft board as early as the second round.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Anyone who can bench press 200 lbs over his body weight has my attention.. This guy sounds like a Man-Beast. I am sure the Vikes are not going after him, but sounds intimidating none the less.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Awesome name.
    Try fitting that name on the back of a jersey. :grin:

We would have to take the stripes off the sides of the pants in order to fit all of it, and even then it will be as confusing as all hell.. I kinda feel sorry for him in pre school trying to learn how to write his name. Better off teaching him advanced algebra. :grin:

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

And he's a Jr.... think I would have rather gone by BO then OJ.

Pursuing a Masters in EE from Stanford, leader of the jazz band. Quite a character, looks like he's been planning for a life other than football.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Babatunde...wasn't he in "Coming to America" with Eddie Murphy???

I agree that DT isn't a priority...but more depth is always nice. Maybe the Chiefs will draft him...since he is already considered a chief in Nigeria! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Top_Speed is offline Starter

He sounds like a good prospect, BUT will he be around in the 2nd or 3rd round somewhere as I'm pulling for a OLB (or possibly best athlete/f-ball player).

Having multiple 2nds and 3rds are nice, I hope we keep them!
    Home Sweet Dome...

Del Rio Guest

Haloti Ngata

This is a guy to keep an eye on if you like good football. I know the Vikes won't get him. I know his parents they are good people and he is a very good athlete.

Draft boards having him going 11ish or so, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the Bills in the top ten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast