Greetings Vikings Fans, it is my pleasure and privilege to present my inaugural Vikings Draft Analysis post for the 2009 NFL Draft. I strive to rank players within a given position. The idea behind presenting the payers in the following format is to allow for variations in both how the Vikings and other teams select as the draft progresses.

Let’s begin with the First Round:

I am not proposing it happens, but, if one of these players slipped I’d be happy if he became a Viking: Jason Smith, Aaron Curry, Eugene Monroe, Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree, Mark Sanchez, Michael Oher, Clay Matthews, Andre Smith, BJ Raji, Peria Jerry, or Everette Brown.

As it is NOT probable that such a player falls to the Vikings, we shall proceed to the more likely choices. I believe most fans would be happy with Eben Britton in the first. I would also like to suggest a player like Andy Levitre could be selected in the later rounds to play inside to allow Anthony Herrera to slide over and play center and Andy could possibly play RT at some point. The other players listed are either early contributors at Guard or Tackle or developmental prospects. The same description could be applied to all of the following positions. As we move to each subsequent position, I’ve tried to briefly discuss the player with respect to the Vikings needs.

O-Linemen

Eben Britton

Andy Levitre

Robert Brewster

Fenuki Tupou

Sebastian Vollmer

Travis Bright

Jaimie Thomas

Augustus Parrish

Joel Bell

Louis Vasquez

Garrett Reynolds

Kyle Howard

Patrick Brown

Ramon Foster

Paul Fanaika

The defensive tackle position is one that, according to a percentage chart provided by Mar, should be filled early in the draft, especially in the first. It is for that reason that I could potentially see the Vikes reach for a player like Evander, but, I would be perfectly happy with a player like Myron in the third.

DTs

Evander Hood

Fili Moala

Ron Brace

Myron Pryor

Alex Magee

I feel some heat coming for this, but, I do not see a WR chosen in the first.
If that is the case, it is probable that all the second tier WRs will be gone by the Vikes pick in the second. Therefore, if the Vikes feel they need a WR that can contribute quickly then, they will likely need to choose between Juaquin Iglesias or Mohamed Massaquoi in the second. I would be pleased if Jordan Norwood were picked up near the end of the draft because that son-of-coach has excellent hands.

WRs

Juaquin Iglesias

Mohamed Massaquoi

Jordan Norwood

Quan Cosby

Brandon Gibson

Mike Wallace

Austin Collie

Jarett Dillard

The RB position will need a talent infusion at some point and if it is early enough
in the draft Donald Brown or Shonn Greene would be wonderful additions, but, this
position does seem to have some depth, although it could be thin by the fifth round.

RBs

Donald Brown

Shonn Greene

Gartrell Johnson

Kory Sheets

Charles Pierre

Devin Moore

Rashad Jennings

I would love to see either Jairus Byrd or Lendy Holmes added to the roster, but, Jarius will not last beyond the third and I doubt Lendy makes it to the fifth.

DBs

Jairus Byrd

Lendy Holmes

Sherrod Martin

Christopher Owens

Brandon Underwood

Rico Murray

Londen Fryar

Courtney Robinson

Keenan Lewis

Is it me or could the TE position use some more talent?

TEs

Bear Pascoe

Brandon Myers

Ryan Purvis

James Casey

Darius Hill

The Vikes could use some talent to develop at the LB position.

LBs

Scott McKillop

Darry Beckwith

Robert Francois

Frantz Joseph

Will the fourth member of the 21st Century Purple People Eaters ever materialize?

DEs

Paul Kruger

Mitch King

Matt Shaughnessy

Pierre Walters

Patrick White would make a great addition as a WR to start and potential QB down the road. I also like Stephen McGee, but, it is not a possibility to choose him as early as would be needed. My choice for a developmental QB would be C.J. Bachér.

QBs

Patrick White

Stephen McGee

Nate Davis

Drew Willy

C.J. Bachér

Tom Brandstater

Curtis Painter

Nate Longshore

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!