Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Pick up another WR?

"VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    Bryant Johnson would be a nice FA addition, but I think the Vikes will go with a guy in the draft like James Hardy (Indiana) or possibly Jordy Nelson (Kansas State).
    Actually, if one were to look at it this way one could almost figure it out....

Our staff likes to carry 5 WR's on the 53 man roster and usually deactivates one for the actual game day roster.

BB
    Rice
    Wade
    Allison

The question is, do they feel that BB and B-wade add enough Vet leadership if they choose to draft another guy or do they want to go ahead and keep one more Vet (Ferg) on the roster to make sure that a young developing QB has reliable targets.

Again, my guess is that they will bring Ferg back if they can get him at a reasonable price.
    He is a pretty decent possesion reciever, is a great blocker and wants to come back.
    Couldn't have stated it any better myself, Marr!
    Thanks my friend.
    Sometimes the Beast Fog lifts and I come up with a good one.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    Bryant Johnson would be a nice FA addition, but I think the Vikes will go with a guy in the draft like James Hardy (Indiana) or possibly Jordy Nelson (Kansas State).

Our staff likes to carry 5 WR's on the 53 man roster and usually deactivates one for the actual game day roster.

BB
    Rice
    Wade
    Allison

The question is, do they feel that BB and B-wade add enough Vet leadership if they choose to draft another guy or do they want to go ahead and keep one more Vet (Ferg) on the roster to make sure that a young developing QB has reliable targets.

Again, my guess is that they will bring Ferg back if they can get him at a reasonable price.
    He is a pretty decent possesion reciever, is a great blocker and wants to come back.
    I agree with this.
    If not Ferguson, then someone comparable (i.e., cheap).
    I expect they'll draft at least one WR anyway, the question might be what round (I'm guessing 4-7).
    We'll also no doubt sign about five or six undrafted guys to come into camp so we have some more guys to run drills and whatnot.
    If we either draft a guy round 3 or higher or someone really stands out, then I would expect Ferguson (or his non-union equivalent) to be left off the roster.
    That would give us our five, possibly with a rookie on the practice squad or starting out on the roster but not activated.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

tclawmen is offline Starter

I would love to get Harvey and I am hoping he is still there when we pick in the 2nd round but I doubt he will last that long. There is no way they will take a W/R in the first round because we have too many other needs. Plus they might feel a little snake bit since that did'nt exactly work out the last time.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikesFan4Life" wrote:

BB
    Rice
    Wade
    Allison

I agree with this.
    I expect they'll draft at least one WR anyway, the question might be what round (I'm guessing 4-7).
    We'll also no doubt sign about five or six undrafted guys to come into camp so we have some more guys to run drills and whatnot.
    If we either draft a guy round 3 or higher or someone really stands out, then I would expect Ferguson (or his non-union equivalent) to be left off the roster.
    That would give us our five, possibly with a rookie on the practice squad or starting out on the roster but not activated.
    Only problem with that is, I believe this staff learned a big lesson last year with Thygpen.
    If you use a draft pick on a good guy and then try to hide him on the practice squad you will lose him and waste a pick.

My bet is that if they infact believe that B-wade and BB and Rice's experience from last year is enough to gaurantee that TJ has reliable targets they won't resign Ferg and will draft another possesion kindof guy like Early Doucet.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

I don't think it would hurt, but i dont think we will, i think we may draft one in a later round, but we have a decent grup of receivers now in my opinion, Berrian, Wade, Rice, Allison, this will be an ever better group in years to come, it would still help to grab another, but i dont see it happening, id be for it as long as we locked up a new DE first...

ktarinze is offline Rookie

i think we should berrian is not a guarante

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

adding another one never hurts, if nothing else its for competition, no job is guaranteed in the NFL

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikesFan4Life" wrote:

BB
    Rice
    Wade
    Allison

I agree with this.
    Only problem with that is, I believe this staff learned a big lesson last year with Thygpen.
    If you use a draft pick on a good guy and then try to hide him on the practice squad you will lose him and waste a pick.

My bet is that if they infact believe that B-wade and BB and Rice's experience from last year is enough to gaurantee that TJ has reliable targets they won't resign Ferg and will draft another possesion kindof guy like Early Doucet.
    Agree again on the practice squad issue.
    You just don't make a guy available if you really want to hold on to him.

My understanding was that Doucet was a second round guy at this point, but we'll see come draft day.
    I'm not sure I expect us to go WR that early.
    Here are the important numbers: 27, 27, 24, 22; and 6, 4, 3+1, 3+1.
    That's the age of our guys Berrian, Wade, Allison, and Rice, and also the years remaining on their contracts.
    Rice and Allison will each be restricted free agents after 3 years.
    I don't see how you justify using a high pick on another WR unless you think his value is just too good to pass up (e.g., Limas Sweed in round 3).

That's why I think we go late round draft pick or cheap free agent (or both).
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

duvaldomo is offline Coach

What about Jabar Gaffney?
    http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/

seems like were interested in him. I like him but he would be another ferg. better but still not a huge role. We need a proven #1 WR

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikesFan4Life" wrote:

BB
    Rice
    Wade
    Allison

I was not always happy with Ferg but I would welcome him back. I think he would be a nice compliment to what we have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast