Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Pick #7

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Pick #7

"VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    Adrian Peterson has had a run of injuries, but he is one TOUGH SOB!

Here's why:

As a Freshman, Peterson rushed for 1,896 yards.
    All that production came despite playing most of that season with a dislocated left shoulder suffered in fall practice that would require surgery after the season.

As a Sophomore, a right high ankle sprain limited Peterson's playing time in 2005. He missed one game and sat out more than two quarters in each of four other games. Peterson still rushed for 1,108 yards and 14 touchdowns on 220 carries (5.1 avg.) and averaged 104.9 all-purpose yards per game.

A right collarbone fracture sidelined Peterson for the team's final seven regular season games in 2006, but he still earned All-Big Twelve Conference first-team honors. He managed his third consecutive 1,000-yard season, picking up 1,012 yards with 12 touchdowns on 188 attempts (5.4 avg.).

I agree, appears to play through pain and isn't a whiner (weaner).
    ;D

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/roster...ort=positionId

His line is that outstanding (size wise).
    Maybe he won't get dinged as much behind a NFL line and sharing the load with a Vet RB.

60 Curtis Bailey OL
    6-6
    Fr.
    Dallas, TX

65 Ben Barresi OL
    6-5
    Fr.
    Edmond, OK

75 Chase Beeler OL
    6-3
    So.
    Jenks, OK

70 Cory Brandon OL
    6-7
    Fr.
    Corsicana, TX

76 Branndon Braxton OL
    6-6
    Jr.
    Youngstown, OH

64 Kody Cooke OL
    6-4
    Fr.
    Enid, OK

50 Jon Cooper OL
    6-2
    So.
    Fort Collins, CO

64 Zac Howard OL
    6-0
    Fr.
    Shawnee, OK

63 Noah Hughey OL
    6-3
    So.
    El Reno, OK

66 Kevin Jones OL
    6-4
    So.
    Little Ax, OK

79 Philip Loadholt OL
    6-8
    Jr.
    Honolulu, HI

79 Chris Messner OL
    6-6
    Sr.
    Frederick, OK

77 Sherrone Moore OL
    6-3
    Sr.
    Derby, KS

72 George Robinson OL
    6-5
    Jr.
    Atlanta, GA

60 Aaron Rothenberg OL
    6-4
    Jr.
    Madill, OK

71 Cameron Schacht OL
    6-4
    So.
    Coppell, TX

74 Brian Simmons OL
    6-4
    So.
    Raleigh, NC

73 Brandon Walker OL
    6-3
    Jr.
    Detroit, MI

66 Jesse White OL
    6-1
    Fr.
    Denver, CO

71 Trent Williams OL
    6-5
    So.
    Longview, TX
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I am a HUGE fan lf Landry (seen him play the last three years here at LSU) - I can't see the pick being a "bad" choice in the long run.
    I don't see a great deal of "bust" potential in him, he hasn't had any character issues I'm aware of, and the guy can flat out play.
    He changed the course of every game he was in.

AP - well... /drool.
    Enough said, can't argue with taking that kind of talent.
    Not a big need but perhaps we can line him up at WR and/or move him around to create mismatches.

Nobody else (we can realistically hope for) really excites me.
    Quinn..meh, not THAT excited about him; DE: We have one coming back off injury and another who showed promise in his rookie season.

CJ isn't gonna be there and I think we'd probably be better off trying to pick one of the 2nd tier WR's later (Bowe, Meachem, Jarrett, etc.)

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

RB is definitely not a NEED area for us, and it took some serious convincing, but, if he falls to us, I believe AP is the man!!
    A playmaker that can go the distance on any carry, who also demonstrated great hands at his workout, would be a hell of a compliment to Taylor's bruising, no nonsense style!!
    That kind of running attack would certainly help our young QB!!
    Hell yeah! line him up as a WR too, put him in motion from backfield to slot or out, let him break a tackle and take it home.

the way the mocks are looking, it will probably either be him or Landry as BPA at no. 7.
    I'm big on Landry too.
    He could solidify our secondary for years!!

If they go for need, its probably Jamaal Anderson.

I also like the trade down idea.
    An extra pick in the second round could be huge!!
    Here's a scenario I dreamt up:
    Buffalo needs a star RB, they nab Peterson with our 7th...we get their no.12 and their second rounder (just 2 picks after our 2nd.)
    At no.12, its not such a reach to grab one of the WRs, lets say Meachem, then in the 2nd round, we can address the lines, selecting perhaps Justin Blalock and Tim Crowder!! In the third we can grab a fast, shifty RB, maybe Chris Henry.
    OR, go back to WR, maybe Craig Davis.

OR, we grab Lynch at no.12, he's got more experience receiving anyway, a nice option out of the backfield!
    (And, GB won't get him!)
    And, hope Gonzales or Jarret falls to our first second round pick...?

Anyway, I like Crowder in the 2nd to address our DE depth...speed, size, and athletic enough to drop into coverage, played some BBAll too...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/timcrowder.html
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Agreed...you don't pass on a special talent.
    Portland is STILL kicking themselves for not drafting Jordan.
    The excuse was that they needed a big man and that they already had Drexler...but given the fact that Bowie flopped, they would LOVE to have gotten a do-over.
    The point is that Chester might get injured as well...and Peterson could step in without our running game missing a beat!
    Any player could be injured.

If you want to push for Thomas, you might argue that McKinnie might get injured.
    Alernately, substitute Quinn, and Bollinger & TJackson in the above sentence.
    Also, sub Adams/Gaines and EJames/Udeze above.

And, if you want to push for Landry, you might argue that 4 or 5 safeties might get injured.
    :
    I am not disagreeing with you Plexy, the injury bug is a weak argument.
    Howevery to add to Caj's claim, certain positions are more prone to injury.
    Specifically skilled positions such as RB.

In addition to the information about injury rates associated with different practice types, the study also found that players in skill position such as defensive back, running back and wide receiver are at greater risk of injury in the spring practices than are linemen or line backers and tight ends. In both spring and fall, non-players have the highest risk of injury of all the string groups.
    (I know it's about spring practices)

Sports Medicine / Fitness News

As we have seen with Jamal Lewis/CT and Priest Holmes/LJ having a solid backup running back should never be underappreciated because of injuries.
    However, in those examples LJ and CT were little known and cheap RBs .
    Our case would be different.
    Peterson will get a decent initial contract at #7 and CT is a free agent soon, so its a matter of time.
    There is also a new trend for rookie contracts to be laden with easily reached incentives and guarenteed money.*
    As I have stated before, one, probably CT would have to leave .

Newshouse News Service

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

The thing I always think about with Adrian Peterson is the fact that he WOULD be the consensus #1 pick in the draft if it weren't for his injury problems holding down his production the last few years. Now, can he get over the plaguing injuries and play at a high level for 16+ games per year? I think so. If he's there, I think we HAVE to take him. If he's not there, but Gaines Adams, or Joe Thomas are, we have to take one of them. Any other player is not worth the 7th pick IMO and we need to trade down to the dolphins or panthers spot to get a shot at Ginn or Meachem.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Perspective:

Chester Taylor, wasn't getting much love when he was picked up last offseason.

He played the season, and he got his earned respect.

Now a large number of fans want to take AP as the BPA at 7.

I say it is the BPA for the position that you need.
    It would be different at let say pick 17 or 20, there might be a player that is super talented that slipped by other teams that were drafting for position.
    But at 7, there is going to be enough talent to do BPA for positions that we need.

I just don't get the AP play at 7.

Well it would be nice to draft that way.However you cant move needs over the BPA system, you just cant.At 7 you take the BPA, never reach for a need.Teams that do regret it later.If we went BPA based on a need, we'd see us draft Jarrett or Meachem.Neither of those guys are worth the 7th pick.So you have to evaluate whose left on the board.If AP is there at 7, you take him.You find a way to fit him a rotation, you make it work.AP has pro bowl written all over him.A back field of him and Taylor would be dangerous.Just think about if one of them gets hurt, you'd have the other come in and we wouldnt notice a differnce.Last season if Taylor was hurt, you'd notice the differnce with Moore and Pinner.

Now I honestly dont think AP will be there at 7, I really dont.I think IF he gets past Cleveland, we could see some teams trade up for him.Hes that good.

All in all we have to go BPA at 7 no matter the position.Reaching for needs is never a good idea in the top 10.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

"Billy" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Agreed...you don't pass on a special talent.
    Portland is STILL kicking themselves for not drafting Jordan.
    The excuse was that they needed a big man and that they already had Drexler...but given the fact that Bowie flopped, they would LOVE to have gotten a do-over.
    The point is that Chester might get injured as well...and Peterson could step in without our running game missing a beat!
    Any player could be injured.

If you want to push for Thomas, you might argue that McKinnie might get injured.
    Alernately, substitute Quinn, and Bollinger & TJackson in the above sentence.
    Also, sub Adams/Gaines and EJames/Udeze above.

And, if you want to push for Landry, you might argue that 4 or 5 safeties might get injured.
    :
    I am not disagreeing with you Plexy, the injury bug is a weak argument.
    Howevery to add to Caj's claim, certain positions are more prone to injury.
    Specifically skilled positions such as RB.

In addition to the information about injury rates associated with different practice types, the study also found that players in skill position such as defensive back, running back and wide receiver are at greater risk of injury in the spring practices than are linemen or line backers and tight ends. In both spring and fall, non-players have the highest risk of injury of all the string groups.
    (I know it's about spring practices)

Sports Medicine / Fitness News

As we have seen with Jamal Lewis/CT and Priest Holmes/LJ having a solid backup running back should never be underappreciated because of injuries.
    However, in those examples LJ and CT were little known and cheap RBs .
    Our case would be different.
    Peterson will get a decent initial contract at #7 and CT is a free agent soon, so its a matter of time.
    There is also a new trend for rookie contracts to be laden with easily reached incentives and guarenteed money.*
    As I have stated before, one, probably CT would have to leave .

Newshouse News Service

Re: CTaylor being injured as a reason to take AP;

Mewelde 'Tyler' Moore, Ciatrick Fason, and now, Artose Pinner is back in the fold....

Vikings | Team re-signs Herrera
    Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:45:52 -0700

The Minnesota Vikings announced Tuesday, April 24, that they have re-signed restricted free-agent OG Anthony Herrera. Terms of the deal were not released.

Vikings | Team re-signs Pinner
    Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:45:09 -0700

The Minnesota Vikings announced Tuesday, April 24, that they have re-signed restricted free-agent RB Artose Pinner. Terms of the deal were not released.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Purplexing" wrote:
    Vikings | Team re-signs Pinner
    Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:45:09 -0700

The Minnesota Vikings announced Tuesday, April 24, that they have re-signed restricted free-agent RB Artose Pinner. Terms of the deal were not released.

Sweet!
    The Lions are quaking at the thought of having to face him TWO times next year!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Jarlvik2006 is offline Rookie

Best choice (I hope he's there) at #7 would be AP.
    Others to hope for include Landry (don't care if we have too many Safties, we could trade D Sharp or Tank, Blue must stay), Thomas (McKinnie to RT?) NO TO LEVI BROWN at #7, Adams, and Okoye.
    I'm not sold on Quinn, although I wish I was.
    I m Watching You- You may not see me, you may not hear me, but I m watching you...

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    The thing I always think about with Adrian Peterson is the fact that he WOULD be the consensus #1 pick in the draft if it weren't for his injury problems holding down his production the last few years. Now, can he get over the plaguing injuries and play at a high level for 16+ games per year? I think so. If he's there, I think we HAVE to take him. If he's not there, but Gaines Adams, or Joe Thomas are, we have to take one of them. Any other player is not worth the 7th pick IMO and we need to trade down to the dolphins or panthers spot to get a shot at Ginn or Meachem.
    this guy is a genius i agree with everything this guy says

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516