Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Phil Loadholt draft diaries:

"V4L" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    it will seriously be a spectacle to watch the sheer size of our line
    Which makes me further question why we zone block in the running game...

Im probably mistaken

But I think I heard we use a more man to man blocking scheme while running

Anyone know about this? Or am I making this up
    Your not making it up, but you are mistaken.

ZB - Used in the running game and in some instances in the passing game.
    Man-to-Man - Used in passing situations.

As to why do we ZB in the running game?
    If done correctly you can block more with less allowing a one cut runner to get off when they over commit to the box.

Some yutz named Marrdro did a whole thread on this a couple of years ago.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

Im probably mistaken

If done correctly you can block more with less allowing a one cut runner to get off when they over commit to the box.

That is opposite of what Mike Morris has stated. Some good stuff in the thread below.

Former NFL player Mike Morris mentioned this. I think I am going to trust someone who actually played NFL football. They are doing more finesse blocking which he called wrap and scoop blocking. We are not geared toward that type of blocking. He mentioned that we need to get back to more zone blocking. This blocking, which they called co-op blocking is when lineman work in twos to push the down lineman back to the second level and scrap off on the linebackers. Every team does it but we are doing it less than last year. We are not coming off the ball hard like last year and resorting to this finesse game which is not our style. Why Chilly changed it is beyond me. Another reason he should be canned.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=48482.msg853815#msg853815

That is were you differ with Mike. He says we are running more scoop and wrap blocking (finesse). We are doing less trap and co-op/zone blocking which he refers to bully blocking. With the guys we have our style is too come off the ball hard. He grouped man to man under finesse.

Now take a look at this.
    The biggest problem with transitioning from man blocking to zone blocking is that it takes a different type of player, both on the offensive line and running back.
    http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2008/8/4/586288/zone-blocking-versus-man-b

So what some are saying on here about Childress scheme not being right for our players is true.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=48482.msg854183#msg854183

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

Im probably mistaken

That is opposite of what Mike Morris has stated. Some good stuff in the thread below.

Former NFL player Mike Morris mentioned this. I think I am going to trust someone who actually played NFL football. They are doing more finesse blocking which he called wrap and scoop blocking. We are not geared toward that type of blocking. He mentioned that we need to get back to more zone blocking. This blocking, which they called co-op blocking is when lineman work in twos to push the down lineman back to the second level and scrap off on the linebackers. Every team does it but we are doing it less than last year. We are not coming off the ball hard like last year and resorting to this finesse game which is not our style. Why Chilly changed it is beyond me. Another reason he should be canned.

That is were you differ with Mike. He says we are running more scoop and wrap blocking (finesse). We are doing less trap and co-op/zone blocking which he refers to bully blocking. With the guys we have our style is too come off the ball hard. He grouped man to man under finesse.

Now take a look at this.
    The biggest problem with transitioning from man blocking to zone blocking is that it takes a different type of player, both on the offensive line and running back.

So what some are saying on here about Childress scheme not being right for our players is true.
    Only difference in what Mike said and I said is that he probably has real take that shows him the scoop.
    No way in hell can I deduce that from what I have available.

As to the second point, depends on alot of things with respect to who fits a ZB scheme, big guys/littler guys......

I don't think size has anything to do with it but rather how quick they are.
    Think of it this way, who the hell cares how big he is if he is big and fast?

Our guys, are not only bigger than a traditional ZB team, they are a hell of alot faster.
    I need to go dig up the ZB scheme thread I posted so you can see that.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    [quote author=Vikes_King link=topic=51803.msg948373#msg948373 date=1242346667]

Im probably mistaken

Now take a look at this.

Only difference in what Mike said and I said is that he probably has real take that shows him the scoop.

As to the second point, depends on alot of things with respect to who fits a ZB scheme, big guys/littler guys......

Our guys, are not only bigger than a traditional ZB team, they are a hell of alot faster.
    [/quote]

Like I said before I will believe an NFL OL over you any day. Just don't take offense to that.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    [quote author=Mr Anderson link=topic=51803.msg948433#msg948433 date=1242353839]
    [quote author=Vikes_King link=topic=51803.msg948373#msg948373 date=1242346667]

Im probably mistaken

Now take a look at this.

[/quote]

Like I said before I will believe an NFL OL over you any day. Just don't take offense to that.
    [/quote]
    No offense taken.
    I think you misunderstood.
    I agree with him.
    I just don't have the film to see the Scoop stuff.

Just bumped the thread I talke about.
    You will see a exchange in there from me and Mountainman on that very thing.
    Again, call it scoop or cally it Hybrid, sure, I'll go with what the pro calls it.
    ;D

Quote from: mountainviking on April 04, 2007, 03:29:47 PM
    Nice work!
    I hope you're right about our big guys having good, quick feet!!!
    Wow!
    If that zone/man combo comes to fruition...that could be scary for opposing Ds!!
    Hadn't quite seen it that way yet, buy I like the sound of it!

Imagine, you're a D lineman...on first and second down, the guy across from you slams into you hard, and you're thinking, 'dam, that Hutch is big, this could be a long day.'
    Then, when you're getting fired up, on third down, you give it all you got, only the guy you're after suddenly isn't there, he's blocking the next guy over and somebody else is slamming into your side, knocking you off balance!

This KAO might have some potential!
    I still say the line lost more games for us last year than BJ or the WRs or anything else...despite our good ground game.
    HOPEFULLY!!
    THE ENTIRE OFFENSIVE LINE WILL PLAY BETTER, AND BE MORE AT HOME IN THE NEW SYSTEM!!!

IF that happens, the Vikes just might surprise a lot of people!!
    SKOL!!

Now we're gettin someplace.

Key thing here is all of this Hybrid Zone/Man blocking scheme is speculation on my part.

Would be neat though.
    Maybe B-chill will call me in as a consultant

and when it fails you all would be hating on me.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...0087#msg560087

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123