Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Peterson Waffling?

POSTED 9:24 a.m. EST, January 12, 2007

PETERSON WAFFLING?
    pft.com

Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson claims that, contrary to published reports, he has yet to decide whether to sacrifice his final season of eligibility and declare for the NFL draft.

We generally believe that running backs should get while the getting is good, but it could be that Peterson is taking stock of his draft stock and pondering whether, come 2008, he stands a chance at getting drafted significantly higher than he might in 2007.

For a running back, there are essentially two contracts that matter.
    The rookie deal, and the extension/free agent deal.
    By the time both of those expire, the guy usually is too old and/or banged up to get really big money.

And, as to the rookie contract, there's a huge difference between being Reggie Bush (No. 2 in 2006) and Laurence Maroney (No. 21).
    Bush got more than $20 million in guaranteed money; Maroney got roughly a fourth of that.

The key for Peterson is figuring out where he's expected to go in 2007, and predicting where he might go in 2008.

And if anyone out there has a crystal ball they're not using, Adrian would like to borrow it for the weekend.

Actually, one league source thinks that Peterson will be a top-seven pick this year, if he comes out.
    But there's still a big financial difference between being No. 7 and being No. 1 or No. 2.

The other reality, of course, is that there's no guarantee that his stock will rise considerably in 2007, and that by staying he is delaying his NFL payday (and ultimately his free agency contract) by a year.

But the lure of becoming the next Bush is likely strong.
    There's nothing like 2,000 yards and a Heisman to vault a guy into the top few picks.

"The facts are that I have not hired any representation and I have not declared for the draft," Peterson said Thursday in a statement. "My meetings with Coach [Bob] Stoops and my parents have been to discuss all the scenarios.

"I see a lot of options in both so I am still undecided on what I want to do.
    I wish people would give me the opportunity to decide.
    Once I do, I will make an announcement at the right time.
    Any reports that are different than that are false."

The "right time" is coming soon, if ever.
    Peterson has until Monday to make up his mind.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

Re: Peterson Waffling?

Mmmmmmmm wafffflllleesssssss.......... :P

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Anyone think that Detroit would go with a RB at the #2 position? It would be kinda surprising to see them go after another WR, or QB with that pick.. I know they have issues at both, but they have also been let down by both in the draft in previous years..

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Adrian Peterson has declared for the draft today and he will surely be a top 10 pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732041
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

NO WAY he should fall below #7...UNLESS Calvin Johnson is miraculously still on the board along with Peterson, we should definitely take Adrian at #7...he is a CAN'T MISS pro!

IF both are gone, I wouldn't mind having one of the other top players that would get pushed down a notch by him getting drafted higher than #7 (Joe Thomas would be a great starting RT, for example).
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    NO WAY he should fall below #7...UNLESS Calvin Johnson is miraculously still on the board along with Peterson, we should definitely take Adrian at #7...he is a CAN'T MISS pro!

IF both are gone, I wouldn't mind having one of the other top players that would get pushed down a notch by him getting drafted higher than #7 (Joe Thomas would be a great starting RT, for example).
    What do you say now? It is very possible that AP will be there at 7.
    Should we take him?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

What do you say now? It is very possible that AP will be there at 7.
    Should we take him?
    Did something change?
    If not, then HELLS YEAH!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE