Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Peter King links Vikes to Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1093018
    Exactly who have the Packers nabbed in the late rounds that is setting the world on fire? They have a couple of decent ones ... but it is hit or miss. Like any other team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/draft.htm

And what exactly has the Patriots nabbed that late? Still hanging your hat on a lucky pick of Tom Brady? Because Julian Edelman is hardly the reason the Pats are winning.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm
    I am not saying we draft better or worse than these franchises, but acting like they are elite franchises because they do so well in the late rounds is incorrect. They pretty much hit or miss as much as anyone else in those rounds.

It is clear that we did good on DeGeare last year ... he might not be a stud, but hitting on a versatile lineman backup in the 5th round is good. It appears that we may have done well on Griffen, but time will tell. As for other years ... Brinkley and Sanford are very solid picks for where we got them ... Guion and Sullivan are very solid picks for where we got them ... Robison and Edwards are excellent picks for where we got them.

Not sure what you folks are expecting from these late rounds.

One thing to really notice about New England is the "accuracy by volume" approach they have. They love accumulating draft picks so they can draft a bunch of guys and hit on a few. It is a solid approach.
    Preach on my Purple Brutha.....

I was listening to Kirwan and Ryan yesterday. They were talking about a drill they were doing were they went and redrafted based on player output/performance. Pretty interesing discussion, anyways, I went home and played around with it a bit. Aside from having some fun, I found out there are teams that draft a hell of alot worse than the Vikes, especially since 2000. Take a look at the Dolphins for instance if you don't like what the Vikes have done.

In the end, for the life of me I can't figure out why everyone on here (well almost everyone) seems to think these kids should be NFL ready when they hit the field.

For the most part, all of them play above what should be expected of rooks coming out. As I just told Bleed, if this damn organization could ever get stable, we would see alot more "Hits" on those later picks as the coaches would have more time to work with them before they ran them out onto the field.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1093014
    How can you say not a big deal?
    Who gives up a 3rd rounder to draft a player to sit behind Adrian Peterson. It's the most boneheaded move this FO has ever made and I have lost all faith in them. We have received nothing from this front office outside of our 1st and 2nd round picks. Anyone can draft talented players in the 1st and 2nd round. All other picks have been trash!

2009 was the best we have done with sub 2nd round picks

Round 3, Pick 22
    Asher Allen CB

Round 5 Jasper Brinkley
    ILB 6'2" 252 South Carolina

Round 7 Jamarca Sanford FS 5'10" 214
    Even though you and I differ on how well this team drafts, I will agree that because we continually give up picks (and I'm not talking about burning 2 picks on 1 player) it hurts us during the draft.

Take a look at what the Pats do. They always have a glut of picks. That isn't so that they can draft a whole bunch of players, it so that they can move around and pick a player that fits what they are going to do.

Because they can do that, they hit on more players.

The Vikes, in the Toby case, kindof did that last year. They got the kid they were targeting and he made the team and provided some nice depth and good reps when AD went down and in relief during games.

Because the Vikes are now "Pick Broke" they will be forced to take BPA when they pick this year and won't be able to "Target" specific players. That kindof attributes to their "Misses" being a bit higher than expected.

In the end, we won't see the end of this until the staff faces the truth of it and just tries to build the team through the normal process instead of continually mortaging the bank for players that can fix holes from bad picking (ala JA and our RDE issues).

Problem is, this organization isn't stable enough, nor is the fan base big enough to weather the storm that comes from rebuilding the team the way it should be built........

a. Through the draft.
    b. Resign Corp players that can still play.
    c. Add depth via FA by signing players coming off their first contract.

In the end, thats what they started to do in 2006. Unfortunately, they got away from that and look at the mess we are in now.

Something to think about, my good friend V-unit said (about 2007 or so) that we were getting into this mess, especially when it came to what we would have to do in 2010 and 2011 when it came to resigning players. I know he doesn't get on here much, but let me tell you, he hit it right on the head my friends......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093090
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093017
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1093014
    How can you say not a big deal?
    Who gives up a 3rd rounder to draft a player to sit behind Adrian Peterson. It's the most boneheaded move this FO has ever made and I have lost all faith in them. We have received nothing from this front office outside of our 1st and 2nd round picks. Anyone can draft talented players in the 1st and 2nd round. All other picks have been trash!

2009 was the best we have done with sub 2nd round picks

Round 3, Pick 22
    Asher Allen CB

Round 5 Jasper Brinkley
    ILB 6'2" 252 South Carolina

Round 7 Jamarca Sanford FS 5'10" 214
    Preach on my Purple Brutha...

Been sayin the same thing for a while now. Outside of our top two picks, our drafting has been shit.

Wanna know why the Packers and Pats seem to do so well? They draft well. Not just flashy big-name players, but key role players with their 3rd-6th round picks.

Who do we get? We get guys that Marrdro loves but can't play football.
    Marrdro loves em cause when asked they step in early. You don't love em cause they play like rookies when they step in early.

What the heck do you expect the staff to do, draft a HOF'r at every spot?
    No, I'd be happy with drafting players that would actually be useful to our system, not reach for 6th rounders in the 2nd, or trade up to draft a runningback. I don't expect hall of fame players, but I expect if they are going to start, they should deserve to start, not just be thrown out there because our team is in shambles and we have nothing better

Gimme a break. This is the only fan site out there were posters believe rookies should play without making mistakes. Heck, most sites the fans understand that rookies shouldn't be even on the field their first year.
    Pretty much what I've been saying for who knows how long now. I want a guy who knows what they're doing out there, not some young kid who makes mistake after mistake, costing us games.

Problem for us, we keep fricken starting over every 3 or 4 years, that means we have to play those kids instead of letting the roster settle out to the point that rooks aren't expected to do anything other than play on ST's or do some backup duty.
    Hmm... packers started over a few years ago, they just won a superbowl. Their starters all got hurt, and the depth they drafted has played fantastic. That's why they won. Our depth plays like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093105
    No, I'd be happy with drafting players that would actually be useful to our system, not reach for 6th rounders in the 2nd, or trade up to draft a runningback. I don't expect hall of fame players, but I expect if they are going to start, they should deserve to start, not just be thrown out there because our team is in shambles and we have nothing better
    Who did we reach for in the second that was a 6th rounder?
    Pretty much what I've been saying for who knows how long now. I want a guy who knows what they're doing out there, not some young kid who makes mistake after mistake, costing us games.
    Not gonna happen if we keep starting over every 4 years or so. Just not gonna happen.

Hmm... packers started over a few years ago, they just won a superbowl. Their starters all got hurt, and the depth they drafted has played fantastic. That's why they won. Our depth plays like shit.
    And their approach was altogether different than our approach over the last 2 years now wasn't it.

By he way, our depth doesn't play like shit. Its a few starters that I would attribute that to.

Case in point, the secondary everyone seems to want to hack on, finished pretty high when it comes to pass defense and that was without pressure from the front 4. If those chuckleheads did their jobs we would have finished a hell of alot higher.

Same can be said for the rush defense. If a certain RDE would quit getting caught upfield rushing the QB on passing plays, when our Will LB'r is mugging inside, our S's and LB'rs wouldn't look like they are taking bad angles to RB's.

Nope, the rooks make mistakes, its expected. Whats not expected is the starters to be making those same type of bonehead plays.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234