Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Peter King links Vikes to Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092580
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092130
    Quote Originally Posted by "enlvikeman" #1092124
    Thanks...I usually only come here to take a look these days.
    Good to see you posting again.

Gotta agree with the Doc, I don't think we are going to see Carson in purple this year. Truth of the matter is, the owner of the Bengals just doesn't cotton/or put up with threats/holdouts.

If Carson wants to play he will have to do it as a Bengal. If he doesn't want to be a Bengal then he won't play football as the Bengals hold all the rights at least until 2015.

From our good friends at Rotoworld.
    12/29/2005: Signed a six-year, $118.75 million contract extension through 2014. The deal included a $15 million signing bonus and a third-year option bonus of $9 million. 2011-2012: $11.5 million, 2013: $13 million, 2014: $14 million, 2015: Free Agent
    There are some out there that think the following might happen that could change that.....

a. Bengals take a QB instead of a WR with their first pick which would cost them significantly. (= 1 Highly paid QB on the roster)
    b. Carson decides to show up for camp and says, I'm here, pay me my 11.5 Mill. (= 2 Highly paid QB's on the roster)
    c. Owner decides he can't pay both and elects to move Carson.

Problem is, the team that would then get Carson would have to eat up that contract or atleast be ready to restructure it. If you watched the Bengals at all this year you would have seen that alot of their problems can be traced to QB accuracey, or in this case, lack there of.

As a closet Benglas fan, trust me when I tell you that he had pretty good WR's at his disposal last year and flat out couldn't get it done (26 TDs/20 INT's) even though his numbers were pretty much on par for his career.

On a side note, I would say, however, that if the Vikings did get Carson he would be the best QB this team has had in alot of years. I'm just not sure if we aren't seeing him on the start of a bad downward slide.
    Nice dig on Brett.

Truth be told if we dont get a new center he would just end up being the next old qb who gets busted up and sent to retirement
    Wasn't a dig my friend. I think that between the two, skillset RIGHT NOW, Carson is better.

Comparatively speaking, they were both on about the same type of team (talent wise) and one did better than the other, if you take it one step further and look over the last 4 or 5 years, Carson has been more consistent and better (Barring 2008).

Again, not a dig.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092612
    If Palmer does retire, do you think the Bengals might be willing to trade the rights to him? I'd be curious to see how that pans out.
    Hmmmmm, interesting. I wonder what that would cost.

For me, the only way I see Carson leaving, is as I said earlier,.......

Scenario
    a. Bengals take a QB with their first pick = Lots of cash invested.
    b. First OTA, Carson shows up ready to work say pay me = Lots of cash invested

Owner just might say that he can't afford two and elect to get rid of Carson.......

I do, however, believe that is a pretty shacky scenario.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Palmer in Purple?.. no thanks.

He has done nothing whatsoever to impress me, his performance last year was shocking, his throws weren't just off target but not even in the vicinity! He had a team loaded with offensive weapons last year and couldn't even make a half decent job of it.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092793

Gotta agree with the Doc, I don't think we are going to see Carson in purple this year. Truth of the matter is, the owner of the Bengals just doesn't cotton/or put up with threats/holdouts.

If Carson wants to play he will have to do it as a Bengal. If he doesn't want to be a Bengal then he won't play football as the Bengals hold all the rights at least until 2015.

12/29/2005: Signed a six-year, $118.75 million contract extension through 2014. The deal included a $15 million signing bonus and a third-year option bonus of $9 million. 2011-2012: $11.5 million, 2013: $13 million, 2014: $14 million, 2015: Free Agent
    There are some out there that think the following might happen that could change that.....

a. Bengals take a QB instead of a WR with their first pick which would cost them significantly. (= 1 Highly paid QB on the roster)
    b. Carson decides to show up for camp and says, I'm here, pay me my 11.5 Mill. (= 2 Highly paid QB's on the roster)

Problem is, the team that would then get Carson would have to eat up that contract or atleast be ready to restructure it. If you watched the Bengals at all this year you would have seen that alot of their problems can be traced to QB accuracey, or in this case, lack there of.

As a closet Benglas fan, trust me when I tell you that he had pretty good WR's at his disposal last year and flat out couldn't get it done (26 TDs/20 INT's) even though his numbers were pretty much on par for his career.

On a side note, I would say, however, that if the Vikings did get Carson he would be the best QB this team has had in alot of years. I'm just not sure if we aren't seeing him on the start of a bad downward slide.
    Nice dig on Brett.

Truth be told if we dont get a new center he would just end up being the next old qb who gets busted up and sent to retirement
    Wasn't a dig my friend. I think that between the two, skillset RIGHT NOW, Carson is better.

Comparatively speaking, they were both on about the same type of team (talent wise) and one did better than the other, if you take it one step further and look over the last 4 or 5 years, Carson has been more consistent and better (Barring 2008).

Again, not a dig.
    Did you see Palmer play last year? He was terrible. No, I don't think the comparison works my friend and I like Palmer better than Farve for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092801

Nice dig on Brett.

Again, not a dig.
    Did you see Palmer play last year? He was terrible. No, I don't think the comparison works my friend and I like Palmer better than Farve for the most part.
    I did, alot and have stated on here numerous times how awfull he looked. What I have also done, is to look at the stats.

Tells another whole story my friend.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092816

Nice dig on Brett.

Again, not a dig.
    I did, alot and have stated on here numerous times how awfull he looked. What I have also done, is to look at the stats.

The bengals are drafting at what spot my fried? And they had 2 top 15 type WR's on the roster. No, sadly even in his worst year #4 still was a better QB than Palmer and Brett was busted up from day 1.

That being said, I would not be upset if we did end up with him on the roster as a stop gap. Heck, I have lived through Jim McMahon, Archie Manning, The second coming of Tark, Jeff George, Cunningham, Moon etc so this would just be another brick in the wall as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092824

Nice dig on Brett.

Again, not a dig.

The bengals are drafting at what spot my fried? And they had 2 top 15 type WR's on the roster. No, sadly even in his worst year #4 still was a better QB than Palmer and Brett was busted up from day 1.
    *********sigh************
    The Bengals are drafting ahead of us for more reasons than their passing woes my friend.

That being said, I would not be upset if we did end up with him on the roster as a stop gap. Heck, I have lived through Jim McMahon, Archie Manning, The second coming of Tark, Jeff George, Cunningham, Moon etc so this would just be another brick in the wall as far as I am concerned.
    My biggest issue with Carson is that it would cost us a pick. If we are going to burn a pick I would much rather have Kolb.

Is there still some questions surrounding him? SURE. But the upside is considerable wereas, Carson seems to be on a downward trend or atleast we are seeing what COULD be the beginnings of that downward trend.

One thing to bare in mind with trading for any Vet, you are almost giving up on the year (much like you are with a rookie) as it will take time for him to get to know the recievers. If you don't get Kolb or Carson until the last preseason game, it will be ugly the first 3 or 4 weeks. Again, Kolb is more attractive as you will have him for more years.

Nope, for me, take a kid at 12 or give the pick up and get Kolb. Only thing right now that makes any kindof sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092950

Nice dig on Brett.

Again, not a dig.

The Bengals are drafting ahead of us for more reasons than their passing woes my friend.

My biggest issue with Carson is that it would cost us a pick. If we are going to burn a pick I would much rather have Kolb.

Is there still some questions surrounding him? SURE. But the upside is considerable wereas, Carson seems to be on a downward trend or atleast we are seeing what COULD be the beginnings of that downward trend.

One thing to bare in mind with trading for any Vet, you are almost giving up on the year (much like you are with a rookie) as it will take time for him to get to know the recievers. If you don't get Kolb or Carson until the last preseason game, it will be ugly the first 3 or 4 weeks. Again, Kolb is more attractive as you will have him for more years.

Nope, for me, take a kid at 12 or give the pick up and get Kolb. Only thing right now that makes any kindof sense.
    I wouldn't burn a pick on either of them. If they would get released and we could sign them outright while renegotiating their contracts then I would be on board but giving up draft picks when we are already down? No way.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092999

Nice dig on Brett.

Again, not a dig.

I wouldn't burn a pick on either of them. If they would get released and we could sign them outright while renegotiating their contracts then I would be on board but giving up draft picks when we are already down? No way.
    Meh, I think you worry too much about missing a 3rd round pick. The fact that we are picking in the top half of the first and second round makes up for it.
    When you look at 09 we had the 30th 60th and 90, approximately. This year we have the 12th and 42nd approximately. According to the value chart our 2 this year are worth more than our 3 last year.
    Not saying we should waste picks, but we desperately need a Qb. Let's get the best one we can, even if it costs a pick or two.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1093004
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092999

Nice dig on Brett.

Again, not a dig.

Meh, I think you worry too much about missing a 3rd round pick. The fact that we are picking in the top half of the first and second round makes up for it.
    When you look at 09 we had the 30th 60th and 90, approximately. This year we have the 12th and 42nd approximately. According to the value chart our 2 this year are worth more than our 3 last year.
    Not saying we should waste picks, but we desperately need a Qb. Let's get the best one we can, even if it costs a pick or two.
    It isn't just this year. We sent a first,2 thirds and a 6th to get JA, We burned extra picks to go up and get Toby (Not a big deal but it was still 2 picks for 1 player), Tarvaris Jackson ( 2 Thirds)

I don't want to see us continually give up multiple picks for players or to send picks that we could be using to build for the future on players who are either old or largely unproven and who will already bring a high price tag with them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast