Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Personal Opinion- Vikings Cannot Let Rice Get Away

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098456
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098418
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098279
    Rice had a breakout year in 2009 when he racked up 83 catches for 1,312 yards and 8 touchdowns. He was one of ten Vikings to be selected to the Pro Bowl in 2009 as well.

Rice was sidelined for most of the 2010 season recovering from his hip surgery, but played a great game against the Buffalo Bills week 13 where he caught 5 passes for 105 yards and scored 2 touchdowns. Did I mention Tarvaris Jackson was the guy throwing to him that game, not Favre?
    Personal Opinion- Vikings Cannot Let Rice Get Away

Lets see, did he make the Noodle look good in 2009 and TJ look good in 2010? ........snicker......
    Rice has been an undependable player over the past few years. Mostly due to injury.

Bear in mind that Rice didn't emerge until Favre showed faith in him in '09. In '07 he showed us that he had some great hands and could potentially be something special...but in '08 he faded, ending with only 15 receptions in 13 games. No one, including YOU, Marrdro, was saying Rice was carrying anyone at that point.

Then comes '09. Favre commits to making Rice a star, Rice steps up, and 83 catches later people start saying that Rice is carrying Favre/the Vikings.

He wasn't.

That was proven in '10 when he returned from injury and was limited to 17 receptions in 6 games. He had one great performance - "the Bail out" with Jackson, but other than that, it wasn't much to write home about.

And, contrary to the assertions of a certain pot stirrer, Rice, Harvin, and the rest were unable to "carry" any of the Viking QB's anywhere....

Do we NEED Rice?

No. Not in my opinion.

He adds to our offense - when he's healthy - but he doesn't carry it. Peterson and Harvin do that much more than Sidney. And, honestly, we need a guy we can count on to be there. With Rice's injury history, can we bank on him? Especially considering that it will take major bank to KEEP him?

Caine
    First, Rice emerged about the time a young reciever usually does....3rd year.

Second, your opinion of guys like Rice and Edwards are just about as predictable as my opinion of the Noodle.
    Where is my opinion wrong?

Did Rice demonstrate break out potential prior to Favre's arrival?

Did Rice carry the team when he returned in '10?

Has Rice been a consistent force on the field or has he been injury ridden?

Where am I wrong?

Fact is, while we definitely need a receiver - or three - we need guys who will be on the field...not getting surgery right before the season starts, or coming up lame. We also need guys who can produce under "other than ideal conditions".

In short, one good season does not a superstar make.

So, if by claiming that my opinions are "predictable" you mean they are "factually accurate", or "spot on" as Purple Floyd stated (Thanks, btw), I agree.

Caine

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

The thing I don't like about this sign don't sign Rice is...

1. other than Harvin, we don't have another viable threat in the passing game at receiver.

2. I'd rather take a chance on a known commodity such as rice than draft a receiver and hope he develops into someone as good as rice. even if we slightly over-pay.

3. You see how good FA wide receivers worked out when we signed Berrian.. Rice is worth twice that much hurt...

4. Would you rather have Rice or Camarillo, Canada dude, Jaymar Johnson.

Just sign him.... he's worth the money and the risk and is a poor man's Fitzgerald with more speed. The only thing i question about him is his work ethic/durability....

but so is Ponder, Harvin, Sullivan, etc. had durability issues...

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "bleedpurple" #1098516

1. other than Harvin, we don't have another viable threat in the passing game at receiver.

2. I'd rather take a chance on a known commodity such as rice than draft a receiver and hope he develops into someone as good as rice. even if we slightly over-pay.

3. You see how good FA wide receivers worked out when we signed Berrian.. Rice is worth twice that much hurt...

Just sign him.... he's worth the money and the risk and is a poor man's Fitzgerald with more speed. The only thing i question about him is his work ethic/durability....

I get your points, but they all wash away when you look at teh durability issue. Rice is better than anyone other than Harvin on our roster...but he's hurt a lot. So, being better on teh sidelines doesn't do us any good.

The other concern is that Rice has had ONE really good season. He showed flashes in year one, fell off in year two, and blew up in year three, only to crash & burn in year four (injury). Is that ONE year enough to warrant a huge payday for Rice - and you KNOW it'll be big.

IMHO, no it isn't.

This is all predicated upon Rice asking for huge money. If he doesn't, everything changes. But he's already said he's planing to test FA...that equals big $$ hunting...and I don't think he's worth a bidding war.

Caine

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098498
    Rice had a breakout year in 2009 when he racked up 83 catches for 1,312 yards and 8 touchdowns. He was one of ten Vikings to be selected to the Pro Bowl in 2009 as well.

Rice was sidelined for most of the 2010 season recovering from his hip surgery, but played a great game against the Buffalo Bills week 13 where he caught 5 passes for 105 yards and scored 2 touchdowns. Did I mention Tarvaris Jackson was the guy throwing to him that game, not Favre?

Lets see, did he make the Noodle look good in 2009 and TJ look good in 2010? ........snicker......
    Rice has been an undependable player over the past few years. Mostly due to injury.

Bear in mind that Rice didn't emerge until Favre showed faith in him in '09. In '07 he showed us that he had some great hands and could potentially be something special...but in '08 he faded, ending with only 15 receptions in 13 games. No one, including YOU, Marrdro, was saying Rice was carrying anyone at that point.

Then comes '09. Favre commits to making Rice a star, Rice steps up, and 83 catches later people start saying that Rice is carrying Favre/the Vikings.

He wasn't.

That was proven in '10 when he returned from injury and was limited to 17 receptions in 6 games. He had one great performance - "the Bail out" with Jackson, but other than that, it wasn't much to write home about.

And, contrary to the assertions of a certain pot stirrer, Rice, Harvin, and the rest were unable to "carry" any of the Viking QB's anywhere....

Do we NEED Rice?

No. Not in my opinion.

He adds to our offense - when he's healthy - but he doesn't carry it. Peterson and Harvin do that much more than Sidney. And, honestly, we need a guy we can count on to be there. With Rice's injury history, can we bank on him? Especially considering that it will take major bank to KEEP him?

Caine

Second, your opinion of guys like Rice and Edwards are just about as predictable as my opinion of the Noodle.

Where am I wrong?

Fact is, while we definitely need a receiver - or three - we need guys who will be on the field...not getting surgery right before the season starts, or coming up lame. We also need guys who can produce under "other than ideal conditions".

So, if by claiming that my opinions are "predictable" you mean they are "factually accurate", or "spot on" as Purple Floyd stated (Thanks, btw), I agree.

Caine
    It isn't that your wrong in any of those comments, its that you give the Noodle all the credit.

Truth of the matter is, the Noodle looked great with Rice and looked like shit without him. :P
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098525

He wasn't.

Do we NEED Rice?

No. Not in my opinion.

Caine

Where am I wrong?

Caine
    It isn't that your wrong in any of those comments, its that you give the Noodle all the credit.

Truth of the matter is, the Noodle looked great with Rice and looked like shit without him. :P
    Didn't he have his career best passing game without him? :dry:

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098517

I get your points, but they all wash away when you look at teh durability issue. Rice is better than anyone other than Harvin on our roster...but he's hurt a lot. So, being better on teh sidelines doesn't do us any good.

The other concern is that Rice has had ONE really good season. He showed flashes in year one, fell off in year two, and blew up in year three, only to crash & burn in year four (injury). Is that ONE year enough to warrant a huge payday for Rice - and you KNOW it'll be big.

IMHO, no it isn't.

This is all predicated upon Rice asking for huge money. If he doesn't, everything changes. But he's already said he's planing to test FA...that equals big $$ hunting...and I don't think he's worth a bidding war.

Caine
    I don't think teams will give him HUGE money... depending on the rules of the new labor agreement (whenever that happens) he'll be restricted.. however, if hes not, I think a contract similar to the one Berrian signed should be about what he's worth... 6yrs 50mil range...

I'd hate to see him leave and leave a gaping hole in the offense... Percy is good, but with his migrane issue and overall talent.. he's not a true #1 receiver.... slot guy yes.. but not #1.

We have to sign him.. or you may see guys like Plax or Ochocinco in purple.. and you guys know you dont' wanna see that!!...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "bleedpurple" #1098529

IMHO, no it isn't.

Caine
    I don't think teams will give him HUGE money... depending on the rules of the new labor agreement (whenever that happens) he'll be restricted.. however, if hes not, I think a contract similar to the one Berrian signed should be about what he's worth... 6yrs 50mil range...

I'd hate to see him leave and leave a gaping hole in the offense... Percy is good, but with his migrane issue and overall talent.. he's not a true #1 receiver.... slot guy yes.. but not #1.

We have to sign him.. or you may see guys like Plax or Ochocinco in purple.. and you guys know you dont' wanna see that!!...
    I expect Rice will get quite a bit more than that.

Yes, Rice is often hurt, but when healthy, he absolutely is a receiver capable of dominating a game. He CAN be a top-5 receiver in the league. Think Fitzgerald, but I think a better jumper.

However, you have to take into account how many potential UFA's there will be at WR this year. Guys like Holmes, Edwards, Moss(both), TO, Ocho(maybe), Steve Smith(both), James Jones, etc. There is a LOT of talent that has the potential to be switching teams this year. That could chip away at whatever Rice will be getting in a contract.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

IMHO, no it isn't.

Caine
    What the hell Caine? Stop poo-pooing us spending Zygi's money on Sidney.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I disagree that he is a top 5 talent.

He can't even hold the jock of guys like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson,Randy Moss, Fitz, Reggie Wayne,Roddy White,Vincent Jackson and Greg Jennings. I would put in in the top 20 but that is it.

Heck, even older guys like Ocho and TO would be more productive for a team on the field than Rice.

Throw in new guys like Crabtree, Dez Bryant,Dwayne Bowe,AJ Green, Julio Jones etc and Rice would have to be in the right situation to stay in the top 20.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

He wasn't.

Do we NEED Rice?

No. Not in my opinion.

Caine

Where am I wrong?

Caine
    predictable=negative=caine, purple floyd
    So yes during the last year you were spot on as everything went completely negative.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast