Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re:Perrilloux's Arm & Other Things - Article

Purple Floyd wrote:
    What is his aptitude on reading a defense, picking up a blitz, changing a play at the line of scrimmage and completing a WCO type pass in the seam?

What I have read indicates to me that he is a prototypical deep drop deep ball type QB such as the Raiders like to use on offense. His knocks are completing the short to intermediate passes which are the staple of this offense. How is that going to help this kid at all?

Actually for the life of me when I look at the OL, Jackson, AD, Sauce,Gerhart and the WR's it seems to me our talent lends itself to be more successful in a Raiders/Chargers style offense and I would love to see that change made.
    Sounds like you would like to see a more verticle version of the WCO, similar to what Dennis Green had, then the short YAC version, which Chilly wants, but is still struggling to implement. The one thing the Vikes do not do enough of is passes to RB's, but that's more of a AD weakness issue.

Favre is the master of the screen pass, which he sells very well, but it's only going to work if the RB can sell it too. Which AD doesn't and hopefully Gerhart will.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    What is his aptitude on reading a defense, picking up a blitz, changing a play at the line of scrimmage and completing a WCO type pass in the seam?

What I have read indicates to me that he is a prototypical deep drop deep ball type QB such as the Raiders like to use on offense. His knocks are completing the short to intermediate passes which are the staple of this offense. How is that going to help this kid at all?

Actually for the life of me when I look at the OL, Jackson, AD, Sauce,Gerhart and the WR's it seems to me our talent lends itself to be more successful in a Raiders/Chargers style offense and I would love to see that change made.
    Sounds like you would like to see a more verticle version of the WCO, similar to what Dennis Green had, then the short YAC version, which Chilly wants, but is still struggling to implement. The one thing the Vikes do not do enough of is passes to RB's, but that's more of a AD weakness issue.

Favre is the master of the screen pass, which he sells very well, but it's only going to work if the RB can sell it too. Which AD doesn't and hopefully Gerhart will.
    That would certainly be a step in the right direction. If you remember when Green came in we had been running an offense under Jerry Burns and Tom Moore similar to what we have now. I would just like to see straight up man blocking, having AD lined up deep in the "I" with maybe Toby in front of him, and deeper drops for jackson if that is who Chilly is going to hang his career on.

Purple Floyd wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:

That would certainly be a step in the right direction. If you remember when Green came in we had been running an offense under Jerry Burns and Tom Moore similar to what we have now. I would just like to see straight up man blocking, having AD lined up deep in the "I" with maybe Toby in front of him, and deeper drops for jackson if that is who Chilly is going to hang his career on.
    AD isn't Robert Smith as catching a blocking goes. To have the effective vert threat, the QB needs time, and the RB needs to be able to block or relief pressure as a screen receiver. AD has yet to show he can, but replacing AD is taking one of the best weapons off the field.

The big question now is, can Gerhart find where the rush is and catch? If he can then the combo of Gerhart and Harvin, who is a excellent YAC receiver, will be able to implement a more classic WCO. While also having a power running game and a vert threat in Rice and Berrian.

Chilly has lots of weapons, now him and Bevell need to prove they can use them.
    [size=12pt]
    [/size]

Blog Entries

gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:

AD isn't Robert Smith as catching a blocking goes. To have the effective vert threat, the QB needs time, and the RB needs to be able to block or relief pressure as a screen receiver. AD has yet to show he can, but replacing AD is taking one of the best weapons off the field.

The big question now is, can Gerhart find where the rush is and catch? If he can then the combo of Gerhart and Harvin, who is a excellent YAC receiver, will be able to implement a more classic WCO. While also having a power running game and a vert threat in Rice and Berrian.

Chilly has lots of weapons, now him and Bevell need to prove they can use them.
    Good points all around. I think we would see a QB with more time if we changed the line coach and did a better job of simplifying the scheme.

As to whether AD is a good blocking or pass catching back, he has been in the league long enough to have had the time to get those parts down. If he cannot, then his value to the team is greatly reduced because 2 of the three dimensions are lost when he is in the backfield. IMO the scheme has caused him to think too much instead of just doing what he does naturally and that is what is causing his assignment and fumbling problems. I don't have a cure other than figuring out what the barriers are that are causing him the problems and either fixing or eliminating them from the playbook. in the end he needs to become complete or his value is limited.

The key IMHO is to have a game plan that allows you to play to your talents strengths without a bunch of substitutions. There should be enough flex in the playbook to get the best out of the players while not asking them to do what they are not comfortable doing and yes, that is up to Bevell and childress.

But in order to avoid a complete and total thread hijacking, How do you suppose Bevell and Childress are going to take a raw, undeveloped athlete who may have questionable cognitive skills and make him successful in an offense that may require him to excel in the parts of his physical and mental skill sets that need the most development.?

Purple Floyd wrote:
    But in order to avoid a complete and total thread hijacking, How do you suppose Bevell and Childress are going to take a raw, undeveloped athlete who may have questionable cognitive skills and make him successful in an offense that may require him to excel in the parts of his physical and mental skill sets that need the most development.?
    Here's one of the few scouting reports on the guy that seems pretty fair.

Ryan Perrilloux Scouting Report

He actually is starting to sound like someone we all know and love

"Ryan Perrilloux lacks patience in the pocket, and his mechanics need work. He does struggle to read complex defenses, locking too often on his primary target. Slow moving through his progression ..."

But as a UDFA, instead of a 2nd rounder, if he isn't working out Chilly won't have his rep as a talent evaluator/QB guru to stop him from dropping him quick.
    [size=12pt]
    [/size]

Blog Entries

gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:

"Ryan Perrilloux lacks patience in the pocket, and his mechanics need work. He does struggle to read complex defenses, locking too often on his primary target. Slow moving through his progression ..."

But as a UDFA, instead of a 2nd rounder, if he isn't working out Chilly won't have his rep as a talent evaluator/QB guru to stop him from dropping him quick.
    Exactly. He didn't cost us anything to get. However, being that he is so far away from the skill set we need in a QB, isn't that energy better used on a raw project who might be more inclined to fit into a WCO? I believe in economics 101 they call that an opportunity cost.

Purple Floyd wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:

Exactly. He didn't cost us anything to get. However, being that he is so far away from the skill set we need in a QB, isn't that energy better used on a raw project who might be more inclined to fit into a WCO? I believe in economics 101 they call that an opportunity cost.
    The thing is Archer doesn't seem to be anything special. Converted WR, OK #'s, 1 yr. starter, very raw, and average athlete. Ryan might be a better option for the practice squad if he would make it.

Also, IMO it's easier to teach a QB to be accurate with the shorter passes than to teach one to drop the long ones in a bucket.

But regardless, all need work and playing time. Sage might be a front runner, but nobody has seen him play a regular season game. TJ was hot and cold, maybe watching Favre and having another year learning has lit a permenant fire under him.
    [size=12pt]
    [/size]

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Purple Floyd wrote:
    My guess, not very good at this point. If it was, I suspect that he would have been drafted.

Truth of the matter is, I bet almost all of the QB's that joined the next level this year will struggle with those concepts.

How so....

Other start came against Middle Tennessee State as he connected on 20 of his 25 passes for 298 yards and three touchdowns with an interception
    20 for 25 with 1 INT doesn't sound like a cat who only throws the ball deep. If everyone of those were deep he would have had 600 yards passing.

What I've read, says that he can make all the throws, has a quick release and is very mobile in the pocket. Sounds like a WCO QB to me. Atleast a cat who has the basic skillsets to become one.

Two TE sets with a FB and a RB doesn't sound like a Raiders/Chargers style of offense my friend.

A shifty slot reciever, a big tall possesion reciever and a speedy wideout that isn't speedy doesn't equate to that either.

Nope, this is a run first, run second, dink dunk on 3rd down offense. Our problem is, we don't exploit the deep stuff very well, which tends to play into the defenses hand as they can gamble and keep 8 in the box more times than not.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:

The thing is Archer doesn't seem to be anything special. Converted WR, OK #'s, 1 yr. starter, very raw, and average athlete. Ryan might be a better option for the practice squad if he would make it.

Also, IMO it's easier to teach a QB to be accurate with the shorter passes than to teach one to drop the long ones in a bucket.

But regardless, all need work and playing time. Sage might be a front runner, but nobody has seen him play a regular season game. TJ was hot and cold, maybe watching Favre and having another year learning has lit a permenant fire under him.
    If he was special he would have been drafted.

My guess, both Archer and Perry will be given a shot to make the number 3 spot, the other will be moved to the PS.

Because they aren't considered "Special" at this stage of thier development, no one will be willing to snatch one, which would require them to put him on thier 53 man roster.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Skill set wise, the kid really could be special. Do not be surprised for him to turn heads in camp... I am not saying he WILL, but if he does, I wouldn't be shocked. He turned heads as much as Jamarcus Russel did at LSU (who WAS a very good college QB).

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast