Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Paymah seeks fresh start

The Karl Paymah thread got locked.

April 8th, 2009 – 7:21 PM by Chip Scoggins

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2704

Re: Paymah seeks fresh start

“Have an impact on special teams right away and the nickel package,” he said. “I’ve got the size [6-0, 195 pounds] and speed to make an impact right away. Leslie [Frazier] expressed interest in me as far as speed and covering the little faster guys like [Devin] Hester and the bigger guys like [Calvin] Johnson in Detroit. Those guys like that, that’s what I’m here for.”
    Interesting...

Strengths: Is a big, experienced, physical and confident cornerback. Has very good timed speed, is a “workout warrior” and has upside. Has experience in press coverage, both in man and zone schemes. Does a good job with his press technique. Will smother receivers at the line of scrimmage and take them out of their routes. Is adept in a cover-2 look at funneling receivers inside. Has adequate awareness and recognition skills in zone coverage. Also does a very good job of protecting himself in man-coverage and won’t give up many big plays. Is tough and effective in run support, and is experienced and productive on special teams.

Weaknesses: [size=12pt]Doesn’t play as fast as his 40-time would indicate[/size]. Has great agility drill times but looks somewhat stiff on film. Seems to lack some natual athleticism. Loses too much in transition when turning and running. Does not have great ball skills, either. Knocks down a lot of passes but doesn’t show great hands or confidence when going for the interception. Seems to have some trouble locating the ball over his shoulder.
    http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2629

Karl Paymah Profile

http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=9&c=2&cid=848716&nid=4234146&fhn=1

Paymah played in 60 games with five starts in four seasons with the Denver Broncos, who selected him with the 76th overall pick in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He emerged as a special teams leader with the Broncos, ranking first or second on the team in special teams tackles in three of his four seasons, while compiling a team-best 42 tackles on specialty units since his rookie season.

Link has some my positives and negatives.

40 Time: 4.4
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/64725.html

Combine Results

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=54694&draftyear=2005&genpos=CB

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks for the reads/info my friend.....

I want to be around knowledgeable coaches, a great staff and guys that I trust and know what they’re doing.”
    Some on here would probably argue that he didn't do that......

Paymah's best shot could be in a zone system where he is facing the action and can immediately find the ball.
    Its stuff like that, that cause to me to believe/think George gets enough credit around these here parts for his role in rebuilding this team.

http://www.vikings.com/TeamFrontOffi...rge_paton.aspx
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

TrojanVike28 is offline Starter

Is it me or are the Vikings trying to get the whole Washington State DB's of a couple years ago? Frampton, Abdullah, and now Paymah. WTF?

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Really sounds like we are looking ahead to get help covering Hester, and that Calvin J. Another solid FA aquisition to help on ST's, and in our nickel, and dime packages.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

LOVE that we added a guy who led his team in STs tackles over the past 2 years!!!!
    And, that our leader in that department is returning too!!!

Yup.
    Sounds like he doesn't feel he got "coached up," in DEN, and with their revolving DCoord door, I can see how it might be true.
    Also, got to realize, he's behind Champ and Bly on the depth chart pretty much the whole time, and on a team with questionable LBs and little support from the DL.

Also, he does sound like the Cover2 is going to be a better fit.
    And, he has some college experience with it.
    IF the talent fits the scheme, this guy could end up being a FA steal!

“You guys got a good thing over here,” he said. “It makes football fun again to tell you the truth because Denver the last probably two or three years you just wanted to go in and get out of there. It was just really a job. But it feels like high school again. When you want to come out and just fly around, make plays and you’ve got the confidence. It’s not really a business here. It’s a family atmosphere and I’m looking forward to thriving in that system.”
    You know, its nice to hear things like that about your team.
    That family feel is important, it keeps guys around and keeps them giving their all.
    If nothing else, I do really like the way Childress and company have built this team's overall attitude, chemistry and identity.
    Now if we could just see more pages of that offense...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I think the offense is coming, we did alright last year scoring points but definitly left some on the field, I like the big plays too. I think the more time our offensive team can play together the better we will be. Guys Tarvaris, Rice/Allison, Sullivan, ect have to be the guys to step up to next level in order to get us there. Hopefully this season is when we see the Offense at its best and its what I expect.

As far as Paymah is concerned I really like what the guy is saying, he visted a bunch of teams before deciding on us. He likes the coaches, he likes the atmosphere and I think he fits in real well. I knew he was a good specail teamer but I didn't know he was the leading tackler, all good news.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast