Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Our DE situation

I am not really for drafting another DE, Well at least not yet. I honestly think the problem may not be who we have but how many we have.
    Is the problem that we are doing to much rotating? Is this maybe not letting some of our DE's not get into a ryhthm? When we look at some of the Elite DE, Kampman, Freeny, Strahan ect. For the most part they are inn for all 3 downs and all situations.
    YEs there are DE that come in especially for passing downs like KGB, But with the exception of Robison most of our DE should be 3 down DE's. There is also the possibility that they are not good DE's and maybe we do need to draft or pick up a FA along the way but I think, well at least my 2 cents is that we should try keeping 2 starters in for the majority and rotate in as needed if they are winded or injured ect.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Our DE situation

"Garland" wrote:
    I am not really for drafting another DE, Well at least not yet. I honestly think the problem may not be who we have but how many we have.
    Is the problem that we are doing to much rotating? Is this maybe not letting some of our DE's not get into a ryhthm? When we look at some of the Elite DE, Kampman, Freeny, Strahan ect. For the most part they are inn for all 3 downs and all situations.
    YEs there are DE that come in especially for passing downs like KGB, But with the exception of Robison most of our DE should be 3 down DE's. There is also the possibility that they are not good DE's and maybe we do need to draft or pick up a FA along the way but I think, well at least my 2 cents is that we should try keeping 2 starters in for the majority and rotate in as needed if they are winded or injured ect.
    Well if our DE's could actually stay health or become elite players then maybe that would happen.. .but the fact of the matter remains, is that they are not good enough to play every down.... so the trick is to wear the other o-line down and keep our guys fresh to get a pass rush...

the problem is that they just aren't good enough to get to the QB.... they do fine agaisnt the rush, but not at getting pressure.... so you need to rotate them

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Well if our DE's could actually stay health or become elite players then maybe that would happen.. .but the fact of the matter remains, is that they are not good enough to play every down.... so the trick is to wear the other o-line down and keep our guys fresh to get a pass rush...

the problem is that they just aren't good enough to get to the QB.... they do fine agaisnt the rush, but not at getting pressure.... so you need to rotate them
    Do you think that a pass rushing DT like Spencer Johnson used to be would make a difference, or 3 DE looks like the Giants ran?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

Do you think that a pass rushing DT like Spencer Johnson used to be would make a difference, or 3 DE looks like the Giants ran?
    The Vikings were 8th in the NFL in sacks this year.
    Yes, I am fully aware that that is a flawed stat, but I just don't think the issues with the pass defense are necessarily the fault of the DEs.
    Robison and Edwards are both young stars on the rise.

Rank Team

G Sck
    1 New York Giants 16 53
    2 New England Patriots 16 47
    3 Dallas Cowboys 16 46
    4 Seattle Seahawks 16 45
    5 San Diego Chargers 16 42
    6 Chicago Bears 16 41
    7 Tennessee Titans 16 40
    8 Minnesota Vikings 16 38
    9 Detroit Lions 16 37
    9 Jacksonville Jaguars 16 37
    9 Kansas City Chiefs 16 37
    9 Philadelphia Eagles 16 37

=Z=
    Edited to remove the stupid NFL.COM non-pasteable links.

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

I'm not sure what would help... I'm game at this point to try anything to get a consistent pass rush... i say we try it.. or put in another corner/safety on obvious passing downs instead of an extra LB and blitz him everytime...

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

The Vikings were 8th in the NFL in sacks this year.
    Yes, I am fully aware that that is a flawed stat, but I just don't think the issues with the pass defense are necessarily the fault of the DEs.
    Robison and Edwards are both young stars on the rise.

Rank Team

G Sck
    1 New York Giants 16 53
    2 New England Patriots 16 47
    3 Dallas Cowboys 16 46
    4 Seattle Seahawks 16 45
    5 San Diego Chargers 16 42
    6 Chicago Bears 16 41
    7 Tennessee Titans 16 40
    8 Minnesota Vikings 16 38
    9 Detroit Lions 16 37
    9 Jacksonville Jaguars 16 37
    9 Kansas City Chiefs 16 37
    9 Philadelphia Eagles 16 37

=Z=
    Edited to remove the stupid NFL.COM non-pasteable links.
    Yeah, that may be true.. but based on our scheme, the d-line needs to be the ones getting the pressure on the QB and about half of those sacks came from the lb's.... so i do think the pass d has a lot to do with the line.. especially with the scheme we run...

If you notice in the last few games, we went to more man coverage (than in the first half of the games) than zone / cover 2 and blitzed the LB's alot more to get better pressure...

we wouldn't have to do that if we had a Dline that could do it...

personally, i think we play better that way.. and am not much of a fan of the cover 2 unless you have a lights out pass rusher...

i'd prefer we mix it up more... regardless of who we play...