Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

An opportunity for McCauley

[size=13pt]An opportunity for McCauley[/size]

May 30th, 2009 – 8:11 AM by Judd Zulgad

Marcus McCauley has no guarantees he will be employed by the Vikings in 2009.

A third-round pick in 2007 out of Fresno State, McCauley’s career got off to a good start as he was used in the nickel package in his rookie season. But he eventually lost that job and last year was inactive for six games and didn’t see much playing time. One issue was McCauley was not considered much of an option to play on special teams.

This offseason the Vikings added more depth at cornerback, signing free-agent Karl Paymah and selecting Georgia corner Asher Allen in the third round of the draft. But McCauley had to be pleased Friday when he was used with the first-team defense at left corner. That spot is normally occupied by Antoine Winfield, who is expected to miss the three day minicamp because he is attending a funeral.

Well hopefully he takes advantage of this opportunity. He has been somewhat of a disappointment but I think he still has a chance to be a very good back-up

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: An opportunity for McCauley

"Garland" wrote:
    [size=13pt]An opportunity for McCauley[/size]

May 30th, 2009 – 8:11 AM by Judd Zulgad

Marcus McCauley has no guarantees he will be employed by the Vikings in 2009.

A third-round pick in 2007 out of Fresno State, McCauley’s career got off to a good start as he was used in the nickel package in his rookie season. But he eventually lost that job and last year was inactive for six games and didn’t see much playing time. One issue was McCauley was not considered much of an option to play on special teams.

This offseason the Vikings added more depth at cornerback, signing free-agent Karl Paymah and selecting Georgia corner Asher Allen in the third round of the draft. But McCauley had to be pleased Friday when he was used with the first-team defense at left corner. That spot is normally occupied by Antoine Winfield, who is expected to miss the three day minicamp because he is attending a funeral.

Well hopefully he takes advantage of this opportunity. He has been somewhat of a disappointment but I think he still has a chance to be a very good back-up
    McCauley hasn't impressed me.
    I hope he turns it on, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Caine

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings#Current_roster

I liked the pick a lot when it happened.
    Been kind of surprised he hasn't been able to get on the field more...esp with Gordon's injury last year.
    Now he's got Paymeh and Allen added to the competition.
    Good Luck!

Is it just me, or does our CB depth seem a lot better than it used to be?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings#Current_roster

I liked the pick a lot when it happened.
    Been kind of surprised he hasn't been able to get on the field more...esp with Gordon's injury last year.
    Now he's got Paymeh and Allen added to the competition.
    Good Luck!

Is it just me, or does our CB depth seem a lot better than it used to be?
    I think the entire Defense depth is getting better.
    We used to have no depth anywhere on D.

Caine

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Thats good to hear from McCauley even though I've been pretty unimpressed. As a rookie he was solid till Winny went down with the injury and he played full time. He's an aggresive hitter who has loads of physical potential, has never really lived up to expectations here or in college. He's a guy who is basically horrible at specail teams and I worry about his overall football intincts. If he could turn it on and push out guys like Sapp and even Paymah that would be really nice. I do have my doubts though, especailly with Paymah around due to his specail teams ability. Chuck Gordon has been a better player and he was an undrafted FA.

I did like his comments on Harvin though, thats very impressive. If only Marcus McCauley had naturaul skills and instincts... who knows maybe he has a really nice 3rd year. That would be ideal being he was 3rd Round Choice.

Our CB depth is really solid IMO. This Asher Allen kid looks to be really impressive, after him and the starters nobody is sure fire to make it. Some really good competition even with the later guys. I thought last year Marcus Walker from OU was a good player, he'll be back in the mix. Specail Teams will be key for the survivors.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

He looked like he was going to be a great pick for us; I remember him tearing up training camp his rookie year and being very excited....

I'm not sure what happened with him, be it poor work ethic, poor instincts, etc.
    But we've definitely had poor development for some of our 2nd/3rd round draft picks in the past few years..
    Marcus Johnson, McCauley, Fox, Cook, etc.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

McCauley better pick it up, or he may be picked up after he is cut by somebody else. I bet we see some surprise guys get cut before it's all said and done.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    He looked like he was going to be a great pick for us; I remember him tearing up training camp his rookie year and being very excited....

I'm not sure what happened with him, be it poor work ethic, poor instincts, etc.
    But we've definitely had poor development for some of our 2nd/3rd round draft picks in the past few years..
    Marcus Johnson, McCauley, Fox, Cook, etc.
    haha, i forgot all about him.
    Did he even make it out of training camp.

Speaking of which, I wonder whatever happened to Devonte Edwards?
    I know people were drooling all over his jock a few seasons ago because of that one pick-6 he made against Favre.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I liked the pick and I like how he performed when Whinny went down.
    Now, not so much.
    I almost put "cut" next to his name in my roster analysis the other day.

He, and a couple of others, have me scratching my head a bit and are holding me back from posting my final product.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I liked the pick and I like how he performed when Whinny went down.

Now, not so much.
    I almost put "cut" next to his name in my roster analysis the other day.

He, and a couple of others, have me scratching my head a bit and are holding me back from posting my final product.
    I scratch my head on him as well. When we drafted him & he played in preseason, he looked like he'd be a damn good player, but I haven't seen him play that well since.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast