Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opportunities?!

BritishVike is offline Rookie

Opportunities?!

What opportunities could we have to trade down in the draft and pick up some 2nd/3rd round picks?As i see it we could do with as many as we can get. I know that if Quinn is available at #7 we might be able to trade with Miami. However, i read an article that says historically teams dont trade up into the top 10. The argument was that usually its too expensive to do so, they gave the example of the vikings in 2005 with the moss for #7 trade and that both teams ended up losing out. Are there any possibilites? And what, if so, would we be willing to accept for the move?

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Opportunities?!

If either of these people are left at number 7, stay there and draft them... Gaines Adams or Brady Quinn (assuming that CJ is gone and I dont like the pick of a RB so high in the draft since we have chesta and memo already).
    Now knowing that Chilly has a man crush on TJ, I really dont think they will pick Quinn if he's on the board, afterall.. they would look kind of stupid if they picked another QB, basically saying we messed up, this TJ kid isn't who we thought he would be.

Therefor, if a team is willing to trade down to around the 15th spot, I say do so and draft Meacham or Bowe, whoever is still on the board at that time, maybe both, who knows.
    That way with the extra pick(s) we get in the second or third round, we could draft another wideout (Rice maybe if he's there) or BPA.

Trading into the top 10 is expensive for teams outside the top 10, in terms of draft picks yielded.

A solution is for the team selecting lower in the round to add a roster player or two to the exchange of first round draft picks to equalize things.
    There is also a possibility of adding draft picks for the subsequent year to those in the current year as part of the trade.

Any team desperately seeking a RB or S or DE might trade into slot 7.
    But those teams would be almost equally likely to trade into slot 6 or 8.
    So, equity in the exchange is guaranteed by the limited trade partner competition at surrounding slots.

I think the Vikings would be content to remain at 7 to select a WR, QB;Quinn, DE, or RB.
    The only possibility of a trade would occur if a team makes a fantastic offer to move into 7 and the Vikings aren't enthusiastic with the players available at 7.
    I doubt that the Vikings would trade back any farther than slot 12, to avoid losing a top quality WR or DL.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Dunno if im keen on drafting two wideouts with 2 high picks, or though i guess it is almost a free pick. I think one high WR definitely, possibly another round 4/5

Ok, so i just read this on the official draft thread thats just been locked and i was wondering what u guys thought of it? Ive been open in saying that trading down will be the best option even over taking AP, i know a lot agree, but can anyone actually see us trading down?What options might pop up come draft day?

I agree none of the above.
    There are teams with picks 8 through 12 who want AP, Quinn or Landry so should be able to make a deal to trade down and get more picks.
    If the Vikes are really building through the draft, they should follow the 90s Cowboys strategy of continuing to trade down and acquire picks.
    Tell me ur thoughts, i wanna trade down!!

gimli vike is offline Training Camp

The consensus of the opinions of the so called "experts" seems to indicate that beyond pick #10 the quality of the field drops off fairly quickly.
    It probably is not as good a draft as some of the more recent ones.
    So, if you can find a willing partner to take your #7, maybe you will be getting 2 or 3 lower picks of the "crap shoot" guys, but as we all know, there always is a bargain or two that come through every year.
    Obviously a lot will depend on who falls to the Vikes at #7 and I'm sure they know who they want, and if he isn't there, maybe a trade down?

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I think there are a ton of ????s going into this year's draft.
    More trade talk than ever before IMHO...so many smokescreens its gone beyond screen and into blinding, choking mass of zero visibility...

It all starts with OAK and that first pick.
    If its Johnson, one of the QBs might fall to 7...many teams could use a potential, franchise QB!
    By my count, 6 of the 7 teams that pick right after us could potentially be thinking future QB!!!

There might be a serious push for Adrian, if he falls, and we don't want him...?
    I'm still convinced that RB is not our greatest need, BUT after watching AP highlights yesterday, I am equally convinced that he and Chester would be an incredible one-two punch!
    The kid's got moves, strength, AND speed!!!
    Combine that with Chester's work ethic, power running, and we don't need much of a passing game!!
    Definitely a "playmaker."
    That being said, Buffalo and Houston would both be extremely happy to have him!

There are also a couple of teams who could really use a LB...or more likely, Landry, the top Safety.
    Maybe Buffalo, Pitt, Cinci, Tenn, NE, DEN...once again, that's IF we don't want him...It would be late, and odd for NE, but how does this sound?

NE to no.7 for Landry...we get both their first rounders and their third...at 24 and 28 we get better value on maybe, Jarrett and Staley, or maybe one of the top DE's falls and we get Andersen or Carriker to go with our WR...or, we do go safety and reunite Mike and Cedric Griffin...or????

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BEST OF LUCK NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!!

Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I would like to trade down, get an extra pick somewhere, and draft a WR in the mid to late first round.

Unfortunately I doubt it will happen.
    As purp said, it is normally prohibitively expensive for teas to trade up into the top ten so our only option would be Miami (Atlanta and Houston already swapped picks, so they won't trade again).
    Even if we do entice Miami to trade with us, we only move down two spots, and would still be in the same basic position.

I expect us to stay at #7 and simply take the BPA, whoever that may be.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"mountainviking" wrote:
    I think there are a ton of ????s going into this year's draft.
    More trade talk than ever before IMHO...so many smokescreens its gone beyond screen and into blinding, choking mass of zero visibility...

It all starts with OAK and that first pick.
    If its Johnson, one of the QBs might fall to 7...many teams could use a potential, franchise QB!
    By my count, 6 of the 7 teams that pick right after us could potentially be thinking future QB!!!

There might be a serious push for Adrian, if he falls, and we don't want him...?
    I'm still convinced that RB is not our greatest need, BUT after watching AP highlights yesterday, I am equally convinced that he and Chester would be an incredible one-two punch!
    The kid's got moves, strength, AND speed!!!
    Combine that with Chester's work ethic, power running, and we don't need much of a passing game!!
    Definitely a "playmaker."
    That being said, Buffalo and Houston would both be extremely happy to have him!

There are also a couple of teams who could really use a LB...or more likely, Landry, the top Safety.
    Maybe Buffalo, Pitt, Cinci, Tenn, NE, DEN...once again, that's IF we don't want him...It would be late, and odd for NE, but how does this sound?

NE to no.7 for Landry...we get both their first rounders and their third...at 24 and 28 we get better value on maybe, Jarrett and Staley, or maybe one of the top DE's falls and we get Andersen or Carriker to go with our WR...or, we do go safety and reunite Mike and Cedric Griffin...or????

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BEST OF LUCK NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!!

Not a chance.
    Yes it adds up in the draft chart, but there is no way in hell NE gives up two first rounders and a third to move up.
    They have practically written the book on the value of more draft picks over high draft picks.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

yeah that would be sweet if we could get NE picks for are first but there isnt a chance NE would do that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast