Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

OFFSEASON PREVIEW: Defensive End

OFFSEASON PREVIEW: Defensive End

This guy makes alot of sense.

Projections

As you can probably tell, I think the Vikings will see all four of their defensive ends back in action next season.

The most likely change at the position is if they decide to spend a mid-to-late round pick on a defensive end. This would mean there would be some competition in training camp but no major upheaval.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re:OFFSEASON PREVIEW: Defensive End

Here is a link with the offensive position links included.

OFFSEASON PREVIEW: The Offense
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:

Some nuggets from the Offensive review...

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENCY

I will tell you right now, the Vikings will not find the answer to their quarterback questions in this yearís free agency class.

The class is headed up by a bunch of over-the-hill quarterbacks that should be considered nothing more than backups at this point in their careers. Chad Pennington, Charlie Batch, David Carr, and A.J. Feely are all above 30 years of age and do not instill a sense of hope into any franchise. I will be shocked if the Vikings pursue any of these guys, regardless of what Brett Favre decides to do.
    The point here is that if the Vikings lose Taylor to free agency, donít panic. Right now, decent backup running backs are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL.
    I absolutley loved reading this little nugget......

McKinnie has a pretty hefty contract, and with the uncapped year upon us, the Vikings cut trade McKinnie without facing any cap penalties.
    Draft Possibilities

Russell Okung and Bruce Campbell headline what is a fairly deep draft class at offensive tackle. These guys will be off the board long before the Vikings select at #30.

After that is a slew of quality tackles, however, and one is sure to be available when the Vikings are on the clock. Bryan Bulaga, Anthony Davis, Charles Brown, and Trent Williams are all worthy of a first rounder at this point. The only guy that makes no sense for the Vikings is Trent Williams, as I donít see him playing on the left side.

However, if Bulaga, Davis, or Brown fall to the Vikings at #30 then they will definitely warrant consideration. There are many decent options later in the draft to fill the backup role on Minnesotaís roster.
    The quality of players available at the guard position leads me to believe the Vikings may target one of these guys. Also, Brad Childress has gone out of his way on numerous occasions to remind us that Anthony Herrera can play center.

So, if they bring in a quality guard then Herrera could have the opportunity to compete for the center job. If Herrera turns out to be an upgrade over Sullivan then the Vikings will have upgraded two spots along the offensive line with one signing.
    Again, some quality stuff in there if you have the mind/time to read.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Some nuggets from the Offensive review...

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENCY

I will tell you right now, the Vikings will not find the answer to their quarterback questions in this yearís free agency class.

The class is headed up by a bunch of over-the-hill quarterbacks that should be considered nothing more than backups at this point in their careers. Chad Pennington, Charlie Batch, David Carr, and A.J. Feely are all above 30 years of age and do not instill a sense of hope into any franchise. I will be shocked if the Vikings pursue any of these guys, regardless of what Brett Favre decides to do.
    The point here is that if the Vikings lose Taylor to free agency, donít panic. Right now, decent backup running backs are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL.
    I absolutley loved reading this little nugget......

McKinnie has a pretty hefty contract, and with the uncapped year upon us, the Vikings cut trade McKinnie without facing any cap penalties.
    Draft Possibilities

Russell Okung and Bruce Campbell headline what is a fairly deep draft class at offensive tackle. These guys will be off the board long before the Vikings select at #30.

After that is a slew of quality tackles, however, and one is sure to be available when the Vikings are on the clock. Bryan Bulaga, Anthony Davis, Charles Brown, and Trent Williams are all worthy of a first rounder at this point. The only guy that makes no sense for the Vikings is Trent Williams, as I donít see him playing on the left side.

However, if Bulaga, Davis, or Brown fall to the Vikings at #30 then they will definitely warrant consideration. There are many decent options later in the draft to fill the backup role on Minnesotaís roster.
    The quality of players available at the guard position leads me to believe the Vikings may target one of these guys. Also, Brad Childress has gone out of his way on numerous occasions to remind us that Anthony Herrera can play center.

So, if they bring in a quality guard then Herrera could have the opportunity to compete for the center job. If Herrera turns out to be an upgrade over Sullivan then the Vikings will have upgraded two spots along the offensive line with one signing.
    Again, some quality stuff in there if you have the mind/time to read.
    Good stuff, the QB situation seems like what we have all said.

I really like the McKinnie line, a lot.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Projections

I think the Vikings will be content to have the three-way competition that I mentioned earlier. There is something to be said for continuity and one can only think the two youngsters (Sanford & Johnson) will improve at least a little.

If the value is there, however, in a trade offer or a steal in the draft, then the Vikings will not hesitate to pounce. Adding a fourth member to the competition could only have positive results.

I donít think Madieu Williams will be cut, however, unless he gets beat out in training camp and a new CBA has not been reached.
    OFFSEASON PREVIEW: Safety

I found this kindof funny. Seems thier stats on MT's is about the same as Profootball Focus stats that you guys seem to discount as not valid. :huh:

For these two starters, the lack of game-changing impact was not the biggest knock against them, however. Missed tackles plagued their season and often put the Vikings in precarious situations. Williams missed 11 tackles this season and Johnson missed 7.

Profootball Focus - Safety Stats