Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Offseason Checklist

Alright.. though this would be an interesting idea. How about making a checklist for things to do this offseason for Childress and see if he succeeds in the end. We can check things off as we go throughout free agency and the draft and see how well we should approve of his job finding talent this offseason. I'll update the original post.

Tell me if you agree or disagree with what i have so far and anything that needs to be added

[ ] True offensive coordinator/change in playcalling duties-
    After the horrible season as far as playcalling and offensive output goes, there needs to be change in how the offense is run whether it's playcalling or coordinating.

[ ] A true #1 wide receiver
    We haven't had one since Moss left. We need one desperately now.

[ ] A solid receiving corps
    Losing Burleson and Robinson really messed up the corps. Now we need some solid players to fill in the gaps left behind.

[ ] A complete offensive line.
    The left side is great. Now we need a right side.

[ ] A true pass rushing defensive end.
    Pat and Kevin are monstrous. Now we need the pass rusher to compliment them.

[ ] A big play tight end
    Jermaine is formidable and Kleinsasser's game has slipped in a huge way. We need someone that fits Childress' apparent mold for a Tight End.

Twolves214 is offline Waterboy

Re: Offseason Checklist

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Alright.. though this would be an interesting idea. How about making a checklist for things to do this offseason for Childress and see if he succeeds in the end. We can check things off as we go throughout free agency and the draft and see how well we should approve of his job finding talent this offseason. I'll update the original post.

Tell me if you agree or disagree with what i have so far and anything that needs to be added

[ ] True offensive coordinator/change in playcalling duties-
    After the horrible season as far as playcalling and offensive output goes, there needs to be change in how the offense is run whether it's playcalling or coordinating.

[ ] A true #1 wide receiver
    We haven't had one since Moss left. We need one desperately now.

[ ] A solid receiving corps
    Losing Burleson and Robinson really messed up the corps. Now we need some solid players to fill in the gaps left behind.

[ ] A complete offensive line.
    The left side is great. Now we need a right side.

[ ] A true pass rushing defensive end.
    Pat and Kevin are monstrous. Now we need the pass rusher to compliment them.

[ ] A big play tight end
    Jermaine is formidable and Kleinsasser's game has slipped in a huge way. We need someone that fits Childress' apparent mold for a Tight End.

I agree with everything on that checklist and couldn't have put it together any better than that.

The playcalling needs to really change, it really makes me as a vikings fan frustrating to see the offense passing short of the 1st down on a 3rd down, and not taking shots at the end zone. Get a good OC and let him make the plays.

Since we released probably the best reciever we had this year, Marcus Robinson. We really need to bring in a solid #1 reciever who has good hands and can get seperation from defensive backs. As for other options, we're not sure if Travis Taylor, who is a very reliable reciever or Troy Williamson will be back for next season. But a few veteran recievers are going into free agency next season.

The right side of the offensive line just kills our plays, they seem to cause the most false start penalties and not protecting the quarterback well.

Our defensive line is great at stopping the run thanks to the two big guys up front, and many teams avoid us by spreading 4-5 recievers. Unfortunately we can't stop the pass. It kills vikings fans to see no pass rushing and the other team's quarterback sits in the pocket with plenty of time and once the ball leaves their hands, its predictable that the ball is caught. We have a good secondary but we can't pressure the quarterback and that creates big holes in covering recievers.

As for a tight end, Jermaine Wiggins might not be back for next season because he doesn't fit the system. We haven't seen much from Wiggins this season, and Kliensasser won the TE job earlier in the season because of his blocking skills and thought he was the better fit of the offense style. So next season Brad Childress will go out and get a physical tight end who is fast and make big plays and block.

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Why do people keep saying the left side of line is ok? Mckinney got burned as much as anyone.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Why do people keep saying the left side of line is ok? Mckinney got burned as much as anyone.
    He is too big and slow to block the outside speed rushers.
    Move him to right guard.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    Move him to right guard.
    You don't put
    the largest wingspan in the NFL at right guard. Leave McKinnie where he is, he really improved his play at the end of the year, and let us not forget how good he was in 05. They wouldn't have paid him that kind of money if he was only RG talent.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Mr" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    Move him to right guard.
    You don't put
    the largest wingspan in the NFL at right guard. Leave McKinnie where he is, he really improved his play at the end of the year, and let us not forget how good he was in 05. They wouldn't have paid him that kind of money if he was only RG talent.
    So, lets leave him to be beat by speed rushers?

He did not do well yesterday and has struggled all year.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

We also need depth at CB and a better FG kicker.

McKennie is a Pro-Bowl Alternate and is a talented left Tackle.
    His failures this season i think are more a failure of the offensive line's ability to work together as a whole. He had a wonderful 2005 season and, like I said, is a Pro-Bowl alternate this year.
    I'm not ready to say that isn't a good LT.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

By far, signing an offensive coordinator and generating a pass rush should be at the top of the list. I don't think McKinney is all that bad, in fact I'd rather have him than any rookie we could draft or a free agent we could sign. He has been with this team for a while, and continues to improve. There are better tackles out there, but he is definitley an adequate if not a good player in that position. I agree he gets beat by speed rushers, but that has gotten better as the year went on. I have to admit, I haven't watched him that much until this year, but I haven't been dissapointed often enough to warrant me wanting him ousted.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

What about a better LB corps and a lock down CB.
    Everybody and there brother was passing on us.

I disagree with a better FG Kicker.
    I think we have a solid kicker in and out of the dome.
    Keep Longwell....

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    Move him to right guard.
    You don't put
    So, lets leave him to be beat by speed rushers?

He did not do well yesterday and has struggled all year.
    How about RT? At least when he does get beat the QB should see it coming. :-

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast