singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Offord's agent talking with Vikings

Posted on Mon, Feb. 27, 2006

[size=18px]Offord's agent talking with Vikings[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

INDIANAPOLIS — The agent for safety Willie Offord was scheduled to meet Sunday night with Vikings vice president Rob Brzezinski to discuss a contract extension.

Agent David Canter said Sunday afternoon that he and Brzezinski were planning to meet for dinner.

Calls to Canter on Sunday evening went unanswered; a deal is not believed to be imminent.

A third-round draft choice in 2002, Offord emerged at the start of the 2005 season. But Offord, the special-teams captain, suffered a season-ending knee injury against the New Orleans Saints and was placed on the injured reserve on Sept. 28. He will be an unrestricted free agent on March 3.

"Willie has been cleared for everything but contact, and we're extremely excited about either remaining a Viking or exploring the free agent market," Canter said Sunday afternoon.

A deal with Offord would cast doubt on the return of veteran Corey Chavous, also an unrestricted free agent.

Sounds familiar: Canter's experience Sunday at the NFL scouting combine with Florida receiver Chad Jackson, one of his clients, was nearly identical to that of a year ago, when he represented Troy Williamson. Canter watched as William-son's stock soared after he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.32 seconds. This year, Jackson ran a 4.32.

The performance resulted in Canter holding an unofficial news conference outside the media center.

"I told people that I represented the best receiver in the draft, and what you saw today, and in the skills challenge and during his career only solidifies that," Canter said. "He has Terrell Owens' body and Troy Williamson's speed."

Not worried: Gophers linebacker Kyle McKenzie wasn't invited to the NFL combine, but he hasn't abandoned his NFL dreams.

"I feel like I'm NFL material," McKenzie said. "Just because I didn't get invited to the combine, it doesn't discourage me. It just makes me want to work harder and prove myself."

McKenzie, though, wasn't surprised why he wasn't invited to the combine.
    "I knew there was a chance I could be invited, but not with the numbers I put up," McKenzie said.

McKenzie, from Detroit, has no regrets about playing for the Gophers.
    "That was the only Big Ten school that offered me a chance," he said. "I gave them the best I had. And in return, they gave me the skills to play with anybody."

McKenzie's older brother, Keith, played nine seasons at linebacker and defensive end in the NFL, including six seasons with the Green Bay Packers.

"He's helped me a lot," McKenzie said. "He always gave me pointers and tips. He would come to games, and he was my biggest critic. When I played on the field, I played for him, as well as myself."

McKenzie will have a chance to impress NFL scouts on March 6 at the Gophers' pro day.

"That's my chance for me to go out there and show that I can be better than any other linebacker at the combine, and anyone else coming out," he said.

Asked about playing for the Vikings, who need linebackers, McKenzie said, "I would be honored if they chose to take me as a Viking."
    McKenzie, 6 feet 1 and 235 pounds, said he has the speed and skill to play in the Vikings' new Cover 2 base defense.

"The Gophers played a lot of Cover 2," he said.

Daunte deal?

Former Vikings coach Dennis Green declined to answer questions about quarterback Daunte Culpepper on Sunday. Speculation was that Green, coach of the Arizona Cardinals, would consider reuniting with Culpepper, whom he drafted in 1999 with the 11th overall pick.

• Former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel didn't hesitate to weigh in on Culpepper, saying: "I consider him an elite quarterback. He had a rough year last year. But what people underestimate is this musical-chairs game of coaches and all of the change to the offense."

Briefly: Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush might not land in Houston after all. Texans general manager Charley Casserly said the Texans have talked to teams about trading the first pick in the 2006 draft.

The Texans, 2-14 last season, have needs that might be filled with one major move. "We're going to get offers for this pick," Casserly said. "We've already had discussions with teams. I think there's value in our pick."

• Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren has told the NFL competition committee that he intends to step down.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Offord's agent talking with Vikings

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Offord's agent talking with Vikings

offord is a nice special team guy, but he isnt good enough to start here.

i know another team that needs a runningback. the colts. just think if they traded for #1 and took bush. wow.
    We're bringing purple back.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Offord's agent talking with Vikings

The Vikes should give McKenzie an invite to training camp as a FA if he isn't drafted...his determination and pedigree warrant at least a look at what he can do.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE