Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: The Official Marrdro's 7 Round Mock Draft for 2011

Good job Marty. I've had this sense the Vikings were going to take Locker at 12 for awhile. Now I'm not so sure.
    They may take a safer pick at 12 and hope for a particular QB falling to the second round.

You have a lot of QB's going early in the draft so that strategy could be iffy. But they may just be thinking of McNabb as their insurance policy.
    It's a wierd dynamic with free agency coming after the draft, so there are no assurances that other teams wouldn't be after McNabb as well.

If Taylor is still there for our second pick, he would be a good zero technique type DT.

As far as O-line goes, someone said we might kick Loadholdt inside to guard and draft a RT. That could be one interesting line but good OT's are a bit scarce in this draft. Somewhere late in the draft I think we will pickup a C/G.

My hope is we sign Erin and let him play outside so we don't need to draft two LB's.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "gamecocksbaseball31" #1093234
    There's no way that we don't address the offensive line in the draft.
    On the surface I would agree with you, however, if you look at the OL play in 2009, when everyone was healthy, they played well.

With that in mind, you tell me were you would pick a OLmen.

First round? Almost every analyst says that 12 is to high to take a OLmen.

Second Round? Marcus Gilbert, OG/OT, Marcus Cannon, OG/OT, Benjamin Ijalana, OT/OG are there on the board for the taking. Based on the "Big Board" value, all of them are of lesser value than Marvin Austin, DT.

I guess you could take one there, but like the first round, doesn't make sense.

Third Round? No pick.

Fourth? Chris O'Dowd at Center was tempting, but if you take a hard look at the type of Center that Musgrove wants/has used in the past, Sully and Coop seem to fit the bill. Atleast to the point were I think WR is better value there.

A latter round? Possibly, but as I said in a earlier post, teams that were still looking for Olmen had to reach and pull one that was slated to go a round or two later than when taken. Again, if you follow Spielmans track record, he tries to stick to BPA which kindof leaves the possibility of reaching out of the question.

Long story short, OL might need help this year, but I just don't see it happening unless you have a few scenarios that I might have missed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093235
    excellent point.

With the draft likely happening before free agency if/when that happens, we can't rely on picking somebody up as a FA. Gotta draft one. I'm not sure who's available in the 2nd or third at interior line, but that would be a good time to grab somebody.
    Thats why I plug in all the picks from all rounds as well as the link to the "Big Board".

That way you can see who was available.

Again, If more QB's are taken in the first round because teams move up late in the first via trades, there might be a few more top level OLmen avialable, however, the way it fell on this one, DT, WR and CB were the best value in the second round.

I went with DT for the following reasons.....

a. Phat Pat is gone.
    b. K-dubb will get some sort of suspension.
    c. We need a guy who can draw doubles on the inside. JK and Evans aren't that type of player.

Truth of the matter is, WR and CB were ranked (atleast by me) alot higher when it comes to need than OLmen at this point. Again, point of reference is the 2009 season when all the starters were healthy and played almost every game.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093240
    I don't see us taking anyone until the 4th. not that it isn't a need but at 12 there is better value in other positions and in the 2nd I think they will look to DB's and QB if they didn't address it at 12.

I would have said the 3rd but damn you Childress.......
    Still not sure why everyone hacks on the Chiller for that. Its the whole staff that makes decisions like that, not just a HC my friend.

Anyways, as I said earlier, teams were reaching by the 4th round for OLmen. Case in point, our pick in the 4th is the 106th. The following OLmen went in the 4th. Number in front of their name is were they are projected to go based on the "Big Board" I used.

193rd DeMarcus Love, OG/RT
    125th Derek Hall, OT
    176th Morris, Darius, RG/ROT

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093254
    I don't see us taking anyone until the 4th. not that it isn't a need but at 12 there is better value in other positions and in the 2nd I think they will look to DB's and QB if they didn't address it at 12.

Still not sure why everyone hacks on the Chiller for that. Its the whole staff that makes decisions like that, not just a HC my friend.

Anyways, as I said earlier, teams were reaching by the 4th round for OLmen. Case in point, our pick in the 4th is the 106th. The following OLmen went in the 4th. Number in front of their name is were they are projected to go based on the "Big Board" I used.

125th Derek Hall, OT
    I believe when he cut Moss and got nothing for him he acted alone. Feel free to provide anything that proves I am incorrect in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1093243
    Good job Marty.
    Thanks Doc. Just doing my part to keep some discussions going on here. :laugh:

JK, I do it cause I love this part of the season almost more than the games.

I've had this sense the Vikings were going to take Locker at 12 for awhile. Now I'm not so sure.
    They may take a safer pick at 12 and hope for a particular QB falling to the second round.
    I agree.

In a couple of the runs I had them taking guys like Tyron Smith, OT, Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Mike Pouncey, C/OG, Corey Liguit, DT, Phil Taylor, DT, all of whom seem to be alot safer of a pick, but when the second came around, there wasn't anyone who fit the scheme at QB. Truth of the matter is, Mallett head was there, but again, we saw what happens to slow QB's last year.

Using the scenario that we are picking with all of our picks this year, a guy like Kolb, Orton and even McNabb don't factor in cause we don't have anything to give for them.

When I factored that in, I just can't help but think they are going to take the best/mobile QB available at 12. Locker (barring Newton slipping that far) seems to fit that bill.

If you also factor in that they have a guy like Webb on the roster, then it would also make sense that they would want the same kindof QB standing next to him in practice. Again, Locker, Newton and possibly Kap all seem to line up in that style/mold of QB. Long story short, you teach one, you teach them all as they all have the same style of play kindof rationale.

You have a lot of QB's going early in the draft so that strategy could be iffy. But they may just be thinking of McNabb as their insurance policy.
    It's a wierd dynamic with free agency coming after the draft, so there are no assurances that other teams wouldn't be after McNabb as well.
    Most of the sites I frequent have 10 QB's going in the first 2 rounds with the predominance of them going before the 43rd pick. Suffice it to say, I think my mock actually has them coming off the board slower than most think.

See our good friend Kevons earlier comment.

If Taylor is still there for our second pick, he would be a good zero technique type DT.
    I would rather have Taylor, Liguit or Paea instead of Austin but think 12 is to early and they just didn't make it to 43 in most of my runs. Seems everyone is looking for a QB or a DT (Suh effect) this year.

As far as O-line goes, someone said we might kick Loadholdt inside to guard and draft a RT. That could be one interesting line but good OT's are a bit scarce in this draft. Somewhere late in the draft I think we will pickup a C/G.
    The pickings sure get slim around the middle of the 3rd into the 4th round. I did like Tyron Smith, OT at 12 (almost) but think its a bit high for him there. O'Dowd in the 4th as a C, was interesting as well, however, short arms (pass protection), injuries (not sure if hes 100% yet) and play (seems to be projected on most boards as a fit as a ZB'ng scheme Center) just didn't make sense to pull the trigger on him there.

Long story short, we already have 2 O'dowds on the roster in Sully and Coop. Why add another?

My hope is we sign Erin and let him play outside so we don't need to draft two LB's.
    I think we will be able to. Rationale is a) He had the roid issue., b) He hasn't really done much that other teams would take notice., c)Hopefully he will give us the "Brother" sentiment and want to play next to EJ.

As always, a quality input Doc. Keep em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093255
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093254

125th Derek Hall, OT
    I believe when he cut Moss and got nothing for him he acted alone. Feel free to provide anything that proves I am incorrect in my opinion.
    I agree on that point. Fact is, I have always agreed that he had sole decision power when it came to who/what was done with the 53 man roster.

But that doesn't alleviate the fact that the 3rd round was given to get Moss on the 53 man roster and that process was a "Whole Staff" function, not just the HC my friend.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093134
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093075
    Round 2
    33 1. New England (from CAR) Leonard Hankerson, WR
    34 2. Buffalo Muhammad Wilkerson, DT/DE
    35 3. Cincinnati Colin Kaepernick, QB
    36 4. Denver Adrian Clayborn, DE
    37 5. Cleveland Mason Foster, OLB
    38 6. Arizona DeAndre McDaniel, SS
    39 7. Tennessee Ricky Stanzi, QB
    40 8. Dallas Jason Pinkston, OG/OT
    41 9. Washington Ryan Mallet, QB
    42 10. Houston Stephen Paea, DT
    43 11. Minnesota Marvin Austin, DT
    44 12. Detroit Jimmy Smith, CB
    45 13. San Francisco Titus Young, WR
    46 14. Denver (from MIA) Marcus Gilbert, OG/OT
    47 15. St. Louis Jonathan Baldwin, WR
    48 16. Oakland Aaron Williams, CB
    49 17. Jacksonville Davon House, CB
    50 18. San Diego Quan Sturdivant, ILB
    51 19. Tampa Bay Rahim Moore, FS
    52 20. New York Giants Kelvin Sheppard, SILB
    53 21. Indianapolis Curtis Brown, CB
    54 22. Philadelphia Brandon Burton, CB
    55 23. Kansas City Jabaal Sheard, OLB
    56 24. New Orleans Mikel LeShoure, RB
    57 25. Seattle Christian Ballard, DE/OLB
    58 26. Baltimore Jarvis Jenkings, DT/DE
    59 27. Atlanta Kyle Rudolph, TE
    60 28. New England Ryan Williams, RB
    61 29. San Diego (from NYJ) Torrey Smith, WR
    62 30. Chicago Marcus Cannon, OG/OT
    63 31. Pittsburgh Ras-I Dowling, CB
    64 32. Green Bay Benjamin Ijalana, OT/OG
    That would suck.
    For Tennesee. Not for us. We already had a QB who couldn't engineer a game winning drive to save his ass in Culpepper. I do not want to see another one.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093251
    On the surface I would agree with you, however, if you look at the OL play in 2009, when everyone was healthy, they played well.

Second Round? Marcus Gilbert, OG/OT, Marcus Cannon, OG/OT, Benjamin Ijalana, OT/OG are there on the board for the taking. Based on the "Big Board" value, all of them are of lesser value than Marvin Austin, DT.

Third Round? No pick.

Fourth? Chris O'Dowd at Center was tempting, but if you take a hard look at the type of Center that Musgrove wants/has used in the past, Sully and Coop seem to fit the bill. Atleast to the point were I think WR is better value there.

A latter round? Possibly, but as I said in a earlier post, teams that were still looking for Olmen had to reach and pull one that was slated to go a round or two later than when taken. Again, if you follow Spielmans track record, he tries to stick to BPA which kindof leaves the possibility of reaching out of the question.

Long story short, OL might need help this year, but I just don't see it happening unless you have a few scenarios that I might have missed.
    But Locker is one hell of a reach at twelve isn't he?
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1093270
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093251

Third Round? No pick.

But Locker is one hell of a reach at twelve isn't he?
    It really depends on what board you look at.

CDS projects him in the top half of the first round. 12 isn't to far from 16.

As you say, though, he is considered a reach at 12, but like our good friend Kevon said earlier, QB's are going to be over valued and reached for by all teams taking them this year.

Long story short, I don't think he is that big of a reach at 12. Remember, Miami is actively scouting him at 15 and Seattle is looking hard at him at 25 with a few teams looking at him between there if not were they sit but as a possible trade option.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast