Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: The Official "List of Work Outs and Interviews"

I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091603
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091602
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091588
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091471
    Just this morning Dan Pompei of the National Football Post reports that the Vikings are “very interested” in Auburn’s Cam Newton and found him to be “charismatic” at the combine. This report should not be taken lightly with Pompei being a solid insider with over 25 years experience covering football (mostly with the Chicago Bears) and being a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selectors board. Pompei also states that the entire crew of Frazier, Spielman, Musgrave and new QB coach Craig Johnson will head to Alabama in the near future to spend a day with Newton.
    The Charismatic Cam Newton Has Vikings Very Interested

More on Newton visit. Looks like we are going to him.
    Good, if we're going to go QB this year, He's the guy I'd rather see. H emight not be a great player, he might bust, but he's at least got the ability and skills to be quite good. Best chance for us anyway.
    Admit it, all you want is for them to take a kid in the first.

If they do that, you will back him, if they take one any place else, your not ever gonna like him. :laugh:
    I want one of the top players, who most likely will be gone in the first.

I think Cam won't make it out of the first, Probably same with Locker. There's only really about 3 I'd want to see as a Viking, Gabbart, Locker or Newton. Gabbart won't make it to us, Locker and Newton should be attainable unless somebody really reaches for one early. The other QB's don't really do anything for me.

If one of htose guys slip out of the first, great, lets get them.

Much like McCoy, I didn't see him slipping all the way to the third, and think that would have been a good pickup with our Gerhart pick.
    According to the analysts I pay close attention to, the following is likely to happen:

a. Newton or Gabbert will go in the top 5. Possibly both.
    b. All other teams above us, that need a QB will probably not reach and will go defense.
    c. We will have the choice of one of the following at 12 that will be considered slight reaches:

1. Mallet Head
    2. Locker

The teams at the top of the second round, that didn't take QB's in the first, will probably have (if none of the teams trade into the bottom of the second)

1. Mallet Head (if we don't take him)
    2. Locker (if we don't take him)
    3. Kaepernick
    4. Dalton
    5. Stanzi

Of those, maybe Stanzi and possibly Dalton might be there in the 3rd with the likes of:

1. Devlin
    2. Ponder

One caveat to all of this is that any of the kids I have listed, could be gone by the end of the second, depending on what teams think of them but judging by the Need + Talent Available via FA, there might be a rush on these kids early even though they would be considered reaches.

IF, big IF, that plays out and you are Spielman, what do you do with Newton and Gabert gone at 12?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Any word on Ryan Mallet? He's the x-factor for me. If he can convince the scouts that he doesn't have drug problems, and isn't an idiot, I think he would be the steal of the draft in the 2nd round.
    Everything I read says he is the best passer in this draft class(in all categories, arm strength, accuracy, and mechanics). Not sure if anyone noticed but passing is the most important part of the QB position. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady can't run a 40 either, but they can consistantly hit there spots down field.

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1091635
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091603
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091602
    Just this morning Dan Pompei of the National Football Post reports that the Vikings are “very interested” in Auburn’s Cam Newton and found him to be “charismatic” at the combine. This report should not be taken lightly with Pompei being a solid insider with over 25 years experience covering football (mostly with the Chicago Bears) and being a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selectors board. Pompei also states that the entire crew of Frazier, Spielman, Musgrave and new QB coach Craig Johnson will head to Alabama in the near future to spend a day with Newton.

Good, if we're going to go QB this year, He's the guy I'd rather see. H emight not be a great player, he might bust, but he's at least got the ability and skills to be quite good. Best chance for us anyway.
    Admit it, all you want is for them to take a kid in the first.

If they do that, you will back him, if they take one any place else, your not ever gonna like him. :laugh:
    I want one of the top players, who most likely will be gone in the first.

I think Cam won't make it out of the first, Probably same with Locker. There's only really about 3 I'd want to see as a Viking, Gabbart, Locker or Newton. Gabbart won't make it to us, Locker and Newton should be attainable unless somebody really reaches for one early. The other QB's don't really do anything for me.

If one of htose guys slip out of the first, great, lets get them.

Much like McCoy, I didn't see him slipping all the way to the third, and think that would have been a good pickup with our Gerhart pick.
    Cam won't be around come the 12th pick.
    Niether will Gabbert. I think he is going number 1 to the Panthers. Clausen is already considered a bust and they don't have a second round pick. They need to get a QB early unless they really like someone like Devlin. Problem is, they picked their Devlin (Clausen) last year and he isn't gonna work out, at least soon enough to save jobs.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091607
    As long as they also take Stanzi in the 2nd so when the 1st round guy bombs out that they have a guy to step in and take over i will be OK.
    \
    Could you hear the uproar if this staff drafted 2 QB's.....WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1091685
    Thanks my friend.

Glad to see Colin Kaepernick finally on the visit list. Again, I think its gonna be Mallet Head at 12, but this guy intrigues me. Stanzi is right behind him.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

well, based on recent years, then if it's common knowledge that we're working out Newton and Locker then we won't be drafting them.. so must be Mallet that we're targetting - see simple ! :P
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1091694
    Any word on Ryan Mallet? He's the x-factor for me. If he can convince the scouts that he doesn't have drug problems, and isn't an idiot, I think he would be the steal of the draft in the 2nd round.
    Everything I read says he is the best passer in this draft class(in all categories, arm strength, accuracy, and mechanics). Not sure if anyone noticed but passing is the most important part of the QB position. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady can't run a 40 either, but they can consistantly hit there spots down field.

My friend, you also have to be able to make the reads and have a good pocket presence (especially in Minnesota). Mallet to me seems like he has all the tools to be a great quarterback, but I still have doubts about his pocket presence, ability to read defenses, and poise. However I think he does have a lot of upside but I don't feel he's worthy of the 12th pick. But like you said he may be the next Drew Brees (drafted second round).
    None

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1091718
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1091694

My friend, you also have to be able to make the reads and have a good pocket presence (especially in Minnesota). Mallet to me seems like he has all the tools to be a great quarterback, but I still have doubts about his pocket presence, ability to read defenses, and poise. However I think he does have a lot of upside but I don't feel he's worthy of the 12th pick. But like you said he may be the next Drew Brees (drafted second round).
    Probably not worth the 12th, but if he's there at the 44th I wouldn't hesitate.

stackithigh is offline Waterboy

Solidify a shaky Defensive backfield with the 12th pick, or add another 8yr starter to the O-line. Beef up and see where a fresh young Joe Webb takes us. =)
    None

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast