V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Offensive Draft Prospects

My fellow SKOLers,

I stumbled upon the gold mine that is NFL.com draft profiles today. If you have not checked it out yet, please do. All the information you could possibly want on the players to be taken in less than two weeks. To make things easier for those less inclined, I have tried attached snippets for everyone we have talked about taking with our first four picks. This is a big post. Here is the link if you want to browse on your own. I will try to add players, and maybe even have a thread with just the players we end up drafting in two weeks.

Legend:
    Normal Text: NFL.com
    Bolded Text: Things I found interesting
    Italicized Text: My personal Notes

QB
    Brian Brohm - Compares To: DREW BREES-New Orleans...Brohm is three inches taller and 15 pounds heavier than Brees, but both show tremendous poise standing in with the pocket tightening. Brohm has the drive back from center and to his pass-set point and the vision scan quickly to locate secondary targets. He is a high-percentage passer and good decision maker who will not force the ball into a crowd. While his arm strength isn't cannon-like, he is capable of making all the throws, showing good patience when attacking the middle of the zone. Even though the team struggled in 2007, he remained healthy as a senior, securing his spot as a probable first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Joe Flacco
    - Compares To: DEREK ANDERSON-Cleveland...Few quarterbacks in the NFL tower over a defensive line like Flacco and Anderson. Flacco has nowhere near Anderson's mobility moving around the backfield, but both have great confidence in their arm strength and ability to make all the throws. He has become the new girl on the dance floor in recent months, thanks to a decent showing in postseason all-star games. But be warned: Don't look at him as a product ready to step into the action at the next level. He came from a bad high school system, was held in mild regard at Pittsburgh and is basically a self-taught prospect, making him a work in progress who'll need time to learn the intricacies of the position. He probably has the best arm of any quarterback in this draft. But he also lacks experience, is unproven against top-level competition, played mostly in the shotgun and has barely adequate mobility. That combination makes him a risk if he's chosen in the top two rounds.

Chad Henne - Compares To: JOEY HARRINGTON-Atlanta...Henne is a good mechanic with the arm strength to air it out, but he needs to do a better job of timing throws, as he tends to hold on to the ball too long. He will get "happy feet" when pressured and run too early, but he lacks good ball-security skills and that has led to 14 fumbles in 39 games. He lacks ideal trajectory on his passes, as he will short-arm often, leading to 30 interceptions and 138 other passes deflected by the opposition. Like Harrington, he is an erratic performer, who can look sensational one minute, but tries to do too much and gets caught with the ball in his hands. Any general manager daring to consider him a first-round target will soon see himself on the unemployment line. Henne has too many of Harrington's deficiencies to be considered a franchise quarterback.
    Wow, this is a very harsh review huh?

John David Booty - Compares To: PATRICK RAMSEY-Broncos...Booty is not the next "great" quarterback to be produced by the Trojans' factory, but is an efficient passer with good accuracy when operating in the short-to-intermediate passing range. Like Ramsey, Booty won't ever be a threat with his feet and is better served throwing from the pocket than when on the move. He is quick in his ability to get to his throwing point, but does struggle to be fluid in his delivery. He has made progress in locating his secondary targets, but when he starts getting confused and locking on to the receiver, bad things happen, as he tends to hold the ball too long, resulting in a costly sack or having to fire it into a crowd. There is enough athletic talent to earn him a roster spot and he could eventually become a starter, but there are just too many holes in his game right now to ever consider him a franchise-type quarterback.
    TJ Jr.?

WR
    Desean Jackson - Compares To: STEVE SMITH-Carolina...Some experts compare him to Santana Moss, but he is much more explosive in his drive off the ball to the break point and brings much more value on special teams. Others liken him to Devin Hester, but he is not in that class yet as a returner and, because of size issues, he has never really taken to the kickoff-return role. Jackson is a better deep threat with better hands as a receiver than Hester. He is a few inches bigger than Smith, but both have a combination of explosive burst, quick change-of-direction agility and cutting ability to threaten the deep secondary consistently.
    After getting Berrian, if we got Jackson I would expect us to use him primarily as a returner. If he didn't do kickoffs that would be unacceptable, which brings us to...

Dexter Jackson - Compares To: ANTWAAN RANDLE EL-Washington...Randle El has had good success as a slot receiver and on special teams, which is the role most envision for Jackson. You can't teach speed and Jackson has plenty of that, but he needs to refine his route running and eliminate his penchant for gathering before coming out of his breaks. He might not be an efficient deep threat, despite his speed, as he struggles to look the ball in, especially over his outside shoulder and does revert to trapping the ball rather than extending for it. Still, he will be drafted earlier due to his athletic skills, rather than his route-running ability.
    Ugh...he is clearly worthless as a receiver. They make him sound like Twill with bad route running. Seems like a bust to me.

Malcolm Kelly - Compares To: LARRY FITZGERALD-Arizona...Like Fitzgerald, Kelly takes advantage of his size and strength to break arm tackles rather than trying to get fancy with moves when trying to separate. Both have some of the best natural hands in the game, as Kelly was charted with only one dropped pass in the last two years. Perhaps due to the team's reliance on the running game, he will disappear for stretches on the field. But when he gets into that rhythm he will catch everything in site. Some teams might prefer Indiana's James Hardy, but Kelly is a more natural receiver and comes with no off-field baggage. Could be a perfect fit in Cincinnati with Carson Palmer if Cincinnati trades Chad Johnson.
    My biggest problem with drafting Kelly is that I don't know if he brings anything to the table that Sidney Rice already hasn't

Early Doucet - Compares To: DWAYNE BOWE-Kansas City...Like his former teammate, Doucet has valid straight-line quickness and good strength to beat the press and get into his routes. Possibly due to his groin injury, Doucet failed to show the explosion needed to gobble up the defender's cushion in 2007. He needs route refinement, as he will take soft-angle cuts and fails to sink his hips coming out of his breaks. He is an efficient pass catcher, but has become a liability as a kickoff returner, as he struggles to field the ball and lacks patience waiting for his blocks to develop. For a player purported to have "explosive speed to be a go-to receiver," as most scouting reports say, he just seemed to be nothing more than a possession receiver as a senior. He might have better value as a slot receiver or at flanker and might lack the sudden burst or second gear to be effective as a split end.
    You're Welcome Cajun

Earl Bennett - Compares To: CHRIS CHAMBERS-San Diego...Bennett might lack blazing speed, but he shows good quickness and body movement in his routes and can get off the line of scrimmage using power or finesse. His patterns are sharp and crisp with no wasted motion and he gets in and out of his breaks quickly when he keeps his pads down. He has outstanding field awareness and the ability to read coverage. He can locate the ball in a crowd and then separate. It is rare to see him misjudge a deep throw and he has also developed into a solid cut blocker. If not used as a deep threat, he will have good success moving the chains.
    The second Coming of Cris Carter

Jordy Nelson - Compares To: KEVIN WALTER-Houston...It took a few years for Walter to find the right system to play in, but if a team is looking for a slot receiver who can be physical over the middle, Nelson has more upside than most. Like Walter and Cleveland's Joe Jurevicius, Nelson is not going to win an Olympic sprint, but he is become a savvy route runner and shows good courage going for the ball in a crowd. While his numbers are the result of being the offense's only quality talent, you still have to be impressed with the progress he has made each year. You just get the feeling that he is on the verge of being a special player.

TE
    Martellus Bennett - Compares To: KEVIN BOSS-New York Giants...Like Boss, Bennett is a rare-sized tight end whose basketball experience allows him to get to passes most shorter tight ends cannot. He is a more consistent blocker than Boss, but will lose balance and overextend when he can't sink his pads to anchor. He has the long reach to haul in the pass at its high point, but despite good timed speed, he is a marginal route runner who will take unneeded steps in his route progression. Still, based on the talent here, he is the most "complete" tight end in the 2008 draft class.
    Who is Kevin Boss?

Fred Davis - Compares To: CHRIS COOLEY-Washington...As an H-back or playing the role of receiving tight end, teams will find Davis is quite successful at getting to the ball in the open. He lacks the "sand in his pants" along with bulk and strength to be a blow-up type of blocker and only gives marginal effort when blocking in-line, but he gets out in front on outside runs and while not physical, he will pester a second-level defender. He has the long reach and timing to get to the ball at its high point and has never had ball-security issues after the catch. Flex him out or keep him in motion and you will get very good production from Davis, especially when needing a bigger receiver to attack the deep secondary.

OL
    Chris Williams - Compares To: D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON-New York Jets...Like Ferguson, Williams relies on finesse moves and his long reach over power. Both need to improve their overall strength and add bulk to handle the demanding task of playing left tackle. Williams might be a better fit at guard early in his career, so as not to expose him against speedy edge rushers. He can mirror the quicker defender in the short area, but he is marginal taking on second-level defenders and needs to improve taking proper angles when working in space. He has the frame to get bigger, but needs to play with more tenacity. He is a smart student, but will miss a few assignments due to mental lapses. With just adequate hip snap, he would be a liability starting at left tackle as a rookie, but he has the makeup, size and desire to improve.

Gosder Cherilus - Compares To: CORNELL GREEN-Oakland...Cherilus is a classic mauler who excels on down and drive blocks as a run blocker, but he proved in 2007 that he lacks the lateral agility and kick-slide to handle speed moves on the outside and will be a better fit at right tackle or inside at guard. He is not fluid enough to maintain position and mirror from left tackle. He has incredibly long reach and large hands and hits with good pop, but he is inconsistent shooting those hands and needs to be more active or it will negate one of his better assets. Struggled quite a bit with the snap count as a senior, resulting in a slew of penalties. If judged on what he did at right tackle in 2006, he will be an early-round pick.

Carl Nicks - Compares To: FLOZELL ADAMS-Dallas...Like Adams, Nicks might be a massive blocker, but he doesn't use his size as a crutch. He has nimble feet for a player his size and even though he lacks the change of direction skills to consistently handle the speed rush, he will drop his weight and extend his long arms to wall off. He has the hand strength to win most one-on-one battles when he gets into the defender's chest. He needs to drop a few pounds in order to improve his lateral range, but he has the functional foot quickness to slide and reach his set point. His best asset is his ability to explode into his man and maintain balance doing it. Move him inside to guard for a few years to enhance his learning curve, as he has had just one season as a starter at tackle under his belt.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

A2-D8 is offline Training Camp

Re: Offensive Draft Prospects

Good stuff.....I still hope we take an O lineman first round, given it's not a reach.
    This makes me think if we take Williams in the 1st we would put him in at RT........this would probably mean Hicks would fill in for McKinnine if needed :.
    This should be an interesting draft.
    "I don't believe it."

"That is why you fail."

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"A2-D8" wrote:
    Good stuff.....I still hope we take an O lineman first round, given it's not a reach.
    This makes me think if we take Williams in the 1st we would put him in at RT........this would probably mean Hicks would fill in for McKinnine if needed :.
    I think if we go OT in the first round we will end up trading Bmac later in the draft

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    "A2-D8" wrote:
    I think if we go OT in the first round we will end up trading Bmac later in the draft
    Yeah, as I said in a different thread, that would be the best approach to take. I for one find players like Davis, Bennett, and Nelson very intriguing.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Great stuff V.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Colt Brennan - Compares To: ALEX SMITH-San Francisco...Smith is several inches taller and more powerful than Brennan, but both rely on their athletic agility to step up and avoid pressure. Brennan has that moxie on the field that reminds some of Brett Favre, but it is his quick reads that sees him get the ball out instantly to his targets. He is a mobile passer whose scrambling keeps defenses honest, but lacks the size and certainly lacks the core strength you look for in a quarterback that can absorb punishment at the next level. In a spread or West Coast offense, Brennan is a nice fit. But despite good arm strength in the short-to-intermediate areas, he isn't capable of consistently attacking the deep secondary.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Owen Schmitt - Compares To: LARRY CSONKA-ex-Miami...No, Schmitt is not just a blocking back, even though he will make a nice living doing just that. He proved early in his career that he is capable of getting the tough yardage up the middle of the field and is a runaway truck once he clears the line of scrimmage. He is a decent safety valve coming out of the backfield in the short-area passing game and, much like Csonka and former Bengals' RB Pete Johnson, he is a load to bring down with the ball in his hands. To use him strictly as a blocker is to get great value, but you will then be wasting his other talent. A definite throwback to the Csonka/Jim Taylor (Green Bay) era, Schmitt is the best fullback available for the 2008 draft.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    Owen SchmittA definite throwback to the Csonka/Jim Taylor (Green Bay) era, Schmitt is the best fullback available for the 2008 draft.
    I think both Jacob Hester and Peyton Hillis will be better pros

Schmitt is highly overrated in my mind.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Chris Williams: he would be a liability starting at left tackle as a rookie
    I hope not because he might be our pick.